Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What ifs of realignment: the ACC goes to 12 in 1991
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: What ifs of realignment: the ACC goes to 12 in 1991
VA Tech got in the first go round through political pressure from the Governor who saw an opportunity and wisely took it.

That political pressure wasn't there in the 90's and anti expansion was driven in part by the desire to protect a school's share of ACC tournament tickets.

There is the old joke that Clemson had a lot of UNC fans join there booster club because that was the easiest way to get ACC tournament tickets. If you are outside of NC, it is hard to comprehend how big the ACC tournament used to be and how protective UNC and Duke in particular were of their ticket shares.

However, I will play the game under the assumption that the ACC had foresight, wanted to keep pace with the SEC and get to 12, as well as protect the Eastern Seaboard from the Big 10

In the early 90's the ACC was the highest paid conference from a TV revenue standpoint. They were the alpha dog.

Operating from that premise, here is what I see.

The ACC adds FSU, Miami, Penn St, and Syracuse.

FSU got in as normal and Miami likely would have if the ACC was not so expansion hesitant in real life. If the ACC was pro expansion Miami would have gotten in with FSU.

I think if the ACC had been proactive they would have been able to snag Penn St. Maryland was already in the ACC and the ACC was, and still is, a better geographical fit. The academics of the ACC are equal to that of the Big 10 and in the early 90's the ACC was the financial powerhouse. Throw in Syracuse as a natural, old time rival and the proposed ACC 12 is a much much better all around fit for Penn St than being #11in the Big 10, particularly with Paterno wielding so much control and influence. Joining the ACC would be a viable and better alternative to joining the Big 10 for Penn St in the 90's.

The final spot comes down to Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Va Tech, WVU, Temple, and Rutgers. I think you can eliminate Temple and Rutgers right off the bat. WVU and VA Tech had been trying to get in for awhile and couldn't, so I don't see that changing. While Pitt is an attractive candidate they are public. I think maintaining a healthy amount of private schools is important to Duke and Wake so not only do they get Miami, they get another private school to balance out the FSU and Penn St additions. That leaves BC and Syracuse. Of those two Syracuse is the clear winner. Cuse was a powerhouse in basketball and that would be an important factor for the basketball focused ACC considering the other editions were made to strengthen football.

Syracuse-------Wake
UMD------------UVA
Clemson--------NC State
Penn State-----UNC
Miami-----------Duke
FSU-------------Ga Tech
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2018 09:51 AM by solohawks.)
02-22-2018 09:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
RE: What ifs of realignment: the ACC goes to 12 in 1991 - solohawks - 02-22-2018 09:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.