quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Can the G5 BS its way to the top?
(02-25-2018 11:16 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(02-25-2018 11:07 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-25-2018 10:59 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(02-25-2018 10:42 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-25-2018 01:25 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  Imagine if the NFL announced that the playoffs would now only consist of half of their divisions. They decide, for instance, that the AFC West is weaker so its teams just won't be allowed to participate in playoffs anymore.

People would be up in arms, because its stupid. Its really stupid.

Yet somehow people defend it in CFB like its a rational way to run a sports league.

Its not healthy for the sport. Its becoming like the Harlem Globetrotters and the Washington Generals.

You keep missing the point: To the SEC, PAC, B1G, etc. ... they aren't in a "league" with the Sun Belt and C-USA, etc. They don't see them the way the NFC East sees the AFC West, as a mutual peer.

As I tried to explain, the big-time level of college football isn't organized around NCAA/FBS classification, it's organized around the major conferences, which have arrangements with each other to settle results between them, in this case the CFP. It's always been that way, and was even quasi-formalized by the supreme court in 1984, when it ruled that conferences, not the NCAA, controlled media rights to football.

If competing for an NCAA title is of paramount import to Arkansas State, you can always reclassify yourselves as FCS and compete for that kind of title. To folks at LSU and Oregon, that isn't important to them.

Trust me, I have e.g. plenty of friends and colleagues who are affiliated with Florida, which has won both football and basketball national titles in recent memory. Not a single one regards their BCS titles as any less legit than their NCAA hoops titles. Not even a wee bit.

You keep repeating how things are. WE KNOW HOW THINGS ARE. We are discussing how things OUGHT to be if this was rational. Yes...we KNOW that LSU and Florida and Oregon like the current weird farce that favors them.

You don't get it, because it's not a farce, or at least if it is, you have failed to explain why. For my part, i haven't merely said "how" things are, i've explained WHY they are that way, a big difference. So here's your chance:

Explain why e.g. the Sun Belt champ not having a formal, systemic chance to compete with the SEC champ for a national football championship makes Alabama's national championship any more of a farce than the MEAC champ not having that same opportunity does.

This space reserved ............................

I have explained it many times, including in this thread. I even gave an analogy. I can point to hundreds of other sports leagues with the same system. Go listen to Mike Leach's explanation on YouTube. There are many other people, even on this board, who have explained it...for years.

You have a playoff, in this subdivision, that excludes half of its member conferences from access to its playoffs and championships before a game is played. I'm not aware of any other sports league that uses that system...because it is, on its face, absurd.

The MEAC champ is not a team in this subdivision. MEAC is not an FBS conference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Your explanation is no explanation at all, as it assumes the validity of the NCAA Subdivision designation as defining who a school's peers are for the purpose of determining a champion.

But I've explained to you at least twice now why that designation is meaningless. Your job, therefore, isn't just to declare it meaningful because that designation merely exists, but to explain why a national championship that doesn't comport with the outlines of that NCAA designation is a farce.

Explain why the fact that the MEAC isn't in the same NCAA subdivision as the SEC while the Sun Belt is means that the SEC is obligated to systematically compete with the Sun Belt champ and not the MEAC champ for a national title it earns to be regarded as not a Farce.

This space reserved ......
02-25-2018 02:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can the G5 BS its way to the top? - quo vadis - 02-25-2018 02:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.