ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: Can the G5 BS its way to the top?
(02-27-2018 11:37 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(02-27-2018 10:01 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(02-27-2018 09:38 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(02-27-2018 08:47 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(02-27-2018 01:53 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  ???? We dont mind because no FCS team is in the FBS. Are any FCS teams eligible for FBS bowls? They are different subdivisions. In fact, that pretty much destroys this silly point. FCS teams are not not eligible for bowls---which is essentially the FBS post season. G5's ARE eligible for bowls (just like the SEC). Why on earth would any thinking person believe that another subdivision would be eligible for the FBS playoff? You're not making any sense whatsoever. Your MEAC point really couldnt be more off target. 07-coffee3

I think you are missing the salient point here. That point is that the FBS is in no sense a "league". This point was made in response to the suggestion that every league has a championship that is equally open to all its members.

I think G5 supporters who wish for a tournament that includes all conference champions should be careful what they wish for. Because then there may well be a league that forms that does not include them at all. And it may not include them for other sports as well, including basketball.

Would you want that?

You and Quo would get what you want.
If you get what you want I’ll laugh my butt off at the NCAA tournaments in baseball, basketball, wrestling etc without The ESPN 5 conferences.
The tournaments without you guys will still continue to succeed and the ESPN 5 will become like the NBA D League or single A baseball.....irrelevant.
Please do it ESPN 5, I’m not “careful what I wish for”. Do it.

You do realize that there are all kinds of NCAA tournaments (in FCS, D2, and D3) in baseball, football, basketball, wrestling, etc. that do not include P5 conferences, right?

And yet, the P5 continue to dominate college athletics.

Yet you think the exclusion of the G5 alone would render the P5 irrelevant when the P5 is totally dominant despite not including D2 and D3 and FCS for football bowls?

03-lmfao

No—of course it wouldn’t end college sports. But the college audience is currently shrinking. Alienating about a third of its current audience certainly is not a recipe for making the sport explode in populariy—especially when you consider that the smaller schools are where the most potential for future audience growth lies. The professional leagues figured out long ago you increase interest by making the playoff more inclusive—-not less inclusive.

They also figured out that the way you do that is by having limited membership, plus having mechanisms (like drafts and salary caps) in place to create competitive parity within that limited membership. The only way you are going to get a semblance of competitive parity in college sports is to drastically limit membership by having much smaller divisions. The marketplace is already doing this for college football by making the P5 a de facto further subdivision within the FBS.

The reality in college athletics is that the power conferences don't need the NCAA, but the NCAA needs the power conferences.
02-27-2018 12:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can the G5 BS its way to the top? - ken d - 02-27-2018 12:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.