Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Take the Big Ten Tournament back to Chicago...
AntiG Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: Take the Big Ten Tournament back to Chicago...
(03-04-2018 04:03 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(03-04-2018 01:24 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  
(03-04-2018 02:04 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(03-04-2018 01:48 AM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  
(03-03-2018 10:01 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  @Rutgers Guy

I'll give it to you that I don't live up there. That's why it's better to take a poll of posters. For those of you that live u there and have significant New York experience, how big is Rutgers up there? I should get the answer I expect.

I know because Houston sports aren't enormous around here and any Houston area college. The same is true in almost any city that's not home to a land grant or state flagship.

Here is where people like you get lost. All of those kids in that land grant university 30 min from NYC go somewhere to work and live. Want to take a guess where? NYC and Philly mostly.

Yeah and where do the majority of UH grads end up after graduating?

No disrespect, good of you to support your school but I doubt Rutgers does much in New York, getting lost in a sea of collegiate and sports affiliations. I can believe it for New Jersey however.

Once again this is where people like you get lost. There isn't some great divide between NJ and NYC. All of those pro and collegiate sports still exist and are followed just as closely as NYC. NYC is the #1 TV market because half of it is half of NJ. NYC is more closely aligned with NJ than it is with the rest of the state of NY.

I wouldn't have a leg to stand on if others weren't backing me up. It's okay, you don't have to be blinded by your scarlet loyalty, I know my scarlet loyalty can be blinding sometimes.

NYC has a lot of sports to keep fans occupied. Its a pro sports town (even when the Mets/Knicks absolutely stink, they are the first or second most followed show in town during their respective seasons). The college schools in the region have their alumni base but its much, much different than the rest of America where for most of a state and portions of neighboring states follow the state university religiously. That's just how it is in the region - they only really care when a program is winning big. When a school is dominating - whether its Rutgers football during the mid-2000s for a few years, Syracuse, St. John's, Seton Hall and UConn men's basketball during their glory runs in the BE - NYC has their eyes peeled. You talk about Rutgers through the lens of their losing ways right now, but you should have seen NYC in 2006, the city was buzzing about Rutgers, everyone in the office was talking Rutgers football (not initiated by me), the Empire State Building was lit up in red. Not only is Rutgers the closest FBS program to NYC, it has the most alumni both actually living in NYC and living in the DMA and much like the rest of NYC most only bother to come out of the woodwork when Rutgers is winning. In college sports, NYC was an old BE basketball town. Right now with that version of the conference gone, NYC's college fanhood is up for grabs, hence why Delany has the Big Ten here every few years. If Rutgers can get their **** together finally, NYC will be behind them again. Its really up to Rutgers whether they will be willing to spend what they need to get them over the top, it has always been about the budget which has been a back and forth battle for decades.
03-04-2018 07:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Take the Big Ten Tournament back to Chicago... - AntiG - 03-04-2018 07:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.