EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
RE: Lots of smoke starting to show in Memphis
(03-07-2018 02:41 PM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  
(03-07-2018 02:08 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(03-07-2018 01:47 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(03-07-2018 01:41 PM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  1) CB always makes sense

2) The rest of your post contains a program strategy that could be written by a child. It's nearly entirely bereft of wisdom.

T

...03-cool

you are saying they shoud higher a steady growth guy from a mid major...and not a flash guy like penny with no experience...

my point is tubby is ssteady growth guy.....
what sense would it make to spend 9million to fire tubby to get someone like tubby but with less experience..

You don't understand the nature of Memphis basketball.
For years, we had dreadful football teams at Memphis, but we could always hang our hat on basketball.
It brought a racially divided city together on ONE thing they could agree that they all loved...Memphis basketball.
For years, Memphis basketball carried the financial burden. It paid all the bills.
Football has long been a money pit at Memphis...basketball was there to put the athletic department somewhat into the black.
That has been taken from us.

What you all see is that our program is slowly improving.
You are incredulous as to why we would be risking tearing that down and starting over.
I cannot speak for ALL of the fanbase...because I am against the Penny hire (only because I know how Memphis fans can be. If this experiment fails...it will be a messy divorce..and a beloved city hero could have his legacy tarnished) but the majority of people aren't sold on Tubby Smith's basketball vision.
We are used to Memphis players being recruited to play as Tigers. So much so, that we fired the LAST beloved local hero (Larry Finch) who started whiffing on Memphis kids who were going to other schools. All that man ever did was win honorably, run a clean program, and take us to a national championship appearance against UCLA as a player years before.
He had a good run of NCAA tournament appearances...but none of it was enough when recruiting fell apart.
Attendance started to fall, donations were down...and Larry was shown the door.
In Penny, you have someone who can ignite the fanbase again. Donations start flowing again...attendance improves. Money spent on buying out the former coaches can quickly be recouped.
Penny can hire seasoned assistant coaches. He can get recruits. That makes all the difference in the world. Its all about the Jimmys and Joes anyways.
You can hire Larry Brown as a non-recruiting assistant coach...or as a "technical advisor" to keep yourself out of trouble. I'm sure that will be discussed.
Ole Miss will be searching for a head coach as soon as their season is over..and their interim coach is also a former Tiger point guard...and an assistant coach Tony Madlock. Would be an interesting get anyways.
Attendance would pick up...Memphis could sigh a sigh of relief that one of their own is in charge...and pray that everything goes for the best.
Penny has SOME coaching chops...although I'll be the first to admit that coaching high school basketball is different than coaching college basketball.
Still college coaches and high school coaches face a lot of the same challenges...from people in the player's ears, egos, social media, etc...that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to believe that a high school coach could make that kind of jump.
People scoffed at Dallas hiring Jimmy Johnson away from the Miami Hurricanes years ago...because Jimmy was JUST a college coach.
Coaching is coaching. If you have the IT factor...then you have it. If not...then you cannot fake it..you must surround yourself with people who can.
Tubby isn't going after talented basketball players. He hasn't signed ONE Memphis kid at all.
That kind of stance will not fly at Memphis. We're used to seeing our own stay home and lace up their sneakers as Tigers.
With Hardaway...that becomes a reality again...immediately.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

You're willing to bet your entire program on the fact that an ex-NBA'r knows how to impress kids into following him onto his HS team.

There are 100's of factors that go into a successful college coach. Penny Hardaway hasn't proven he has a single one of them yet.

As others have already said, if you bomb out with Penny, your program is dead for a decade.

I'll give the Penny Hardaway experiment 15-1 odds of turning out better than Tubby, a proven head coach with a national championship. It's like comparing men to babies. It's like betting a 24 year old MBA grad will run GE better than the current CEO with 15 years of experience. 01-wingedeagle

T

...03-cool

if you read my diatribe..I am against them hiring Penny. He's a great man....Memphis hero etc etc.
Which is why he should stay AWAY from this job. It requires a salesman type to hype it up a la John Calipari.
IF he doesn't do well, they will chew him up and spit him out.
No, I'm not willing to just hand the job over to him....but...I do have to say this.Its his reputation that is on the line.
If he KNOWS what he is in for, and is still willing to risk it....well, then that is his decision....and I will support him as Memphis head coach...until he isn;t the Memphis head coach anymore.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2018 02:56 PM by EarthBoundMisfit.)
03-07-2018 02:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lots of smoke starting to show in Memphis - EarthBoundMisfit - 03-07-2018 02:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.