Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Lots of smoke starting to show in Memphis
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: Lots of smoke starting to show in Memphis
(03-08-2018 05:39 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(03-08-2018 05:14 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  I'm just glad UH wasn't as short sighted with Sampson as Memphis is being right now.

I felt that way until this past week. The well is so poisoned at Memphis that Tubby needs to go. It's not obvious to fans outside Memphis, but here are a few issues:

1. Quotes by Tubby:

"Memphis fans have to realize this is not the Memphis of 10 years ago."

"We are going to be a top team in the conference this year (2017-18)."

"Memphis fans need to learn to have patience."

Many more I can't recall . Maybe others can.

2. Tubby has refused to do much PR since he arrived. Almost zero. That has turned all the local media against him, and makes things worse.

3. Things fell apart in Season 1 when the team quit late, losing 6 of 7, and blowing a shot at an NCAAT berth, and certainly the NIT.

4. After Season 1, almost everybody should have returned, but everybody transferred out except Martin and Rivers. We had to sign 11 guys in April just to field a team for this season.

5. Tubby has yet to sign any Memphis recruits, although several top guys would fill needs for us. Until a couple of weeks ago, his only signee for 2018 is #337 in the rankings. He got a nice pickup late, Jones, #101 in 24/7, but still no Memphis kids.

He has so alienated the local Memphis AAU and HS coaches that nobody is helping him.

6. This season, we suffered our two worst RPI losses in 48 years, and the two worst losses in the same season, ever.

7. Our attendance has dropped from 12K with Pastner to 6K, and we are in danger of slipping low enough to lose our FedExForum lease next year.

8. Revenue is down by a couple million, and so far, next year looks even worse.

I could go on and on. There is much more. I have been supportive of Tubby, and think he should be given a fair chance, but no objective person can look at our performance and trends lately, plus consider all the above, and think we are definitely experiencing a program turnaround. We are staring at Year 3, with no end in sight.

Hell, Justin Fuente walked into a FB program that had won 3 games in 2 years, was at the bottom of the FBS rankings for 4 years, and had us winning, bowling and ranked in Year 3.

Basketball shouldn't be harder, right?

At any rate, given the publicity this week, which should have been kept under wraps, we don't have much choice now. Penny may be a risk, but he is a Memphis legend and our risk.

I bet our attendance immediately jumps back up to 12K, and other donations will also rise.

Time to take the plunge, I'm afraid.

1) It's not and you aren't cheating anymore, that means you need patience to build.

2) The local media was against him since the beginning and are the main promoters of the storyline he has to go.

3) Tubby corrected that issue which was the end of the nose dive Pastner put you in and was largely the result of Tubby being forced to keep Daddy Lawson who believed his boys were bigger than the Memphis program.

4)No, most of those players should have gone they were part of a dysfunctional program. You don't build your foundation on rubble. You just mix a little in to strengthen the concrete.

5)Your Memphis AAU are the cause of half the problems and seeing the extremes of your fan base I see where they get it. The Lawson's are all over this and are trouble. Tubby will not take local recruits until the program is established and running the way he wants it. He will not fight for control of his program with some wanna be local superstars. Memphis would be wise to follow this model or it will be held to ransom every time the next Penny Hardaway shows up.

This is the number 1 reason people want Tubby gone.

6) Tubby had 11 new players because your school had gotten things so backwards that players thought they should be in charge of your program. A rebuilding year from scratch will always have some wtf moments.

7) Did you expect band wagoners to show up in a rebuild? This downward trend follows the national trend and the obvious that Memphis is not at the top and will take time to get there. Apparently you have 7,000 die hards and about 12,000 general fans that fill it up when you're rolling.

8)Again pretty standard for a rebuild.
03-08-2018 06:01 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lots of smoke starting to show in Memphis - TU4ever - 03-08-2018 06:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.