Democratic Presidential Horse Race thread
Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
RE: Democratic Presidential Horse Race thread
(02-22-2019 12:14 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(02-22-2019 12:00 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(02-21-2019 11:25 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  The purpose of reparations is to put people back into the place that they would have been without the events that caused them harm. Without slavery, the place where they would have been is Africa. So I say reparations for anyone willing to renounce his or her US citizenship and return to his or her country of origin in Africa. I don't think we'd get many takers. Which shows just what a mockery this whole thing is.

I find this post pretty disgusting. You are suggesting that black people should simply go back to Africa if they aren't sufficiently satisfied with the less-than-ideal cards that America has dealt them since the days of slavery. Gross.

Odd. I seem to notice a huge, larger than life strawman in your comment.

"You are suggesting that black people should simply go back to Africa if they aren't sufficiently satisfied with the less-than-ideal cards that America has dealt them since the days of slavery."

Please do tell where 'accepting reparations == not sufficiently satisfied with the less-than-ideal cards that America has dealt them since the days of slavery'?

There is zero congruence in a lexicological sense, and the former statement has none of the stirring, make 'em feel guilt to the bottom of their soul ringing that your latter flourishment has. Nice try though.

And, on top of it you add a nice addition of SJW disgust at the prelude and trail end of it for good measure. Bravo.

Getting back to the original question, I take it you fully support giving out cash and payments to people who are 6 or 7 generations removed from an undoubted wrong, and extract that payment from a population that: a) wasnt alive at the time of the wrong; and b) a portion whose ancestors may not have even had a foot on the soil of what is the United States. Would that be a correct assumption?

Now I have been chastised at times of putting words in people's mouths, so if that is *not* your stance, please do tell.

That is, *before* another strawman trigger session.

I don't think that it is reasonable to tell black people that if they want to accept reparations from the United States, then they must then return to their ancestral Africa. Am I totally misreading his original post? It's late and I'm half-watching the Rockets so that's certainly a possibility. It seemed crazy. Again, I'm honestly happy to be wrong. How did you interpret his post?

I don't support giving out cash payments to every 7th removed relative of a slave. At no point did I suggest this. I am not nearly smart enough to figure out reasonable logistics on that. I do support recognizing that the deck has been stacked against black people in various ways since the days of slavery and perhaps doing something to even the playing field.

My point was that I didn't see anything in the click-baity NYT article that suggested that viable Democratic candidates were suggesting these cash payments that you referenced. The article was very short on specifics.
02-22-2019 12:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Democratic Presidential Horse Race thread - Rice93 - 02-22-2019 12:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.