Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Democratic Presidential Horse Race thread
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
RE: Democratic Presidential Horse Race thread
(02-25-2019 11:46 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(02-25-2019 11:10 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  So in other words -- exactly the scenario that you mocked George about posting. Got it.

So 'reparations' doesnt mean 'reparations' -- even though they explicitly backed that specific concept.

By the way 93 -- not my definition. Try a dictionary, they help.

Only in politics does 'reparations' not mean 'reparations'; and 'redistribution' not really mean 'redistribution'.

I guess I should never second-guess a movement that neither gives and credence to, let alone surfically gives a **** about a concept called 'textualism'. When you want something to *really* mean something else just claim a 'shifting definition'.

Tanq- I made the point early in this thread that the outcry about these candidates supporting "reparations" may be overdone since the details on what they actually supported was spotty. I was then told that of course these smart lawyers know *exactly* was reparations are. Please don't direct your annoyance at me that they clearly weren't using the term as you had assumed.

Whether the 'reparations' is in the form of a 'direct payment' *or* YOUR watered-down version of 'leveling the playing field', the term has a huge emotional component -- one designed to maximize the 'You done someone wrong' feeling *and* to maximize the 'collective guilt' that you are seemingly a supporter of.

I dont think you can argue that is not the intent of using the term, no matter how they (you, perhaps) try to 'dilute' the meaning and back away from it. Just calling it for what it is.

They (and you, mind you) try to use the 'wronged person' and 'wrongdoer' portions of definition to the fullest advantage. And then try to hide behind the even more weasly reasoning of 'well I really didnt mean it in thaaaaat waaaaaayyy.' </Portlandia TV show delivery style>

Quote:And "Try a dictionary, they help."? Nice. There is the possibility that YOUR definition of a term isn't shared universally? Yours is probably more correct,

Considering MY definition is one that appears in Merriam Webster, my guess is also that it is more correct. Is it possible that that that definition isnt shared universally --- perhaps. Doesnt say much for the people that decide to use that term apart from the defined meaning, does it?

Quote:though given that 99.8% of the population (me included) has never used the term "surfically".

Vocabulary is your friend. I dont know what that comment has to do with using a common definition, or whether 'my' definition of another term is correct. (that is aside from any snarkfest you want to go down, but that is your load to haul, my friend.)

Quote:I am somewhat hesistant to admit that as I may be seeing more negative reputation with a "Startling grammatical ignorance" comment.

You certainly are touchy about (several) neg rep events that havent occurred.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2019 09:43 AM by tanqtonic.)
02-26-2019 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Democratic Presidential Horse Race thread - tanqtonic - 02-26-2019 09:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 7 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.