Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bunting is upbeat entering season
techfan4
Unregistered

<a href='http://theacc.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072604aah.html' target='_blank'>http://theacc.collegesports.com/sports/m-f.../072604aah.html</a>

GREENSBORO -- North Carolina didn't garner much support from the Atlantic Coast Conference media today after a pair of poor seasons, finishing with its lowest preseason ranking ever in the newly expanded 11-team league.

The Tar Heels, 3-9 and 2-10 the last two years, were picked to finish 10th in the preseason poll released at the ACC Football Kickoff, ahead of only Duke.

The program's previous worst preseason prediction was seventh in 1990.

Coach John Bunting said he wasn't bothered by the low expectations entering his fourth season in Chapel Hill.

"I'm excited about the focus and direction of our football program," Bunting said. "We've had two top-20 recruiting classes in a row. We've got a lot of momentum.
07-27-2004 07:19 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Bomber
Unregistered

I'm surprised we were ranked that high.

Until we start proving something on the field, which will be even more difficult in the expanded conference, we will be considered a doormat.
07-27-2004 11:00 AM
JD Heel
Unregistered

I read Bunting's comments on IC -- he does sound optimistic. But, one thing I've noticed about him over his time here is that he says one thing... and then we see something else out on the field.

Still, I don't remember his being this optimistic last year. So, I'm going into this season the way I go into all the rest: with guarded optimism.

-JD
07-27-2004 12:00 PM
Advertisement

techfan4
Unregistered

The Bomber Wrote:I'm surprised we were ranked that high.

Until we start proving something on the field, which will be even more difficult in the expanded conference, we will be considered a doormat.
Its going to be tough in the ACC. I think a few games early could change the outcome of the season. I think if tech loses to Clemson, the chances of us losing to UNC are higher, and then to Miami, and so on. If we beat Clemson, Tech could have a shot at being in the top 4.

Same for UNC, if you guys beat UVA, you have a good shot at beating Tech and Louisville, and then who knows what will happen vs. FSU.

Buckle your seat belts, its gonna be a bumpy ride! :D 04-cheers
07-27-2004 01:46 PM
The Bomber
Unregistered

Good points. I think there is some reason to be optimistic compared to last year, but even if there is improvement on the field, the record may not reflect it. This, as you say, could all revolve around getting some breaks early and getting some confidence.

I see the staff changes and the accompanying changes in defensive philosophy as being good. I think we will play better, but I won't say that we'll win more. The talent level, meaning depth and speed, is better. That should help and I think that is what Bunting is focusing on.
07-27-2004 04:54 PM
JD Heel
Unregistered

I agree with both you guys. The pieces are there this year -- for a good year, I mean. The schedule is tough as always, but we have a lot of things in our favor. If we get some early steam, we could really surprise some people.

The same could be said for just about any ACC team, though. That's what makes it such a tough conference this year.

-JD
07-27-2004 10:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.