Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC far superior to ACC
Stick4489
Unregistered

Top Ten ways MAC is superior to ACC

10. MAC competition is tough enough to keep Jim Grobe out of bowl games.

Next...

[Image: sonny1.jpg]
06-16-2003 03:23 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JD Heel
Unregistered

Yeah -- 'cause Ohio was such a contender in the MAC before he got there. :rolleyes:

Quote:In the 10 seasons before Grobe left his assistant's position at the Air Force Academy to become Ohio University's head coach, the Bobcats won 17 games. In the six years under Grobe, they won 33 and finished with winning records in the Mid-American Conference five straight seasons.

Grobe coached at Ohio for six seasons, from 1995 through 2000. After taking over the reigns of a program that went 0-11 and was ranked last among Division I-A programs in 1994, Grobe led the Bobcats to a cumulative six-year record of 33-33-1.

The Bobcats were 2-8-1 in 1995, 6-6 in 1996, 8-3 in 1997, 5-6 in 1998, 5-6 in 1999 and 7-4 in 2000. Grobe was named the MAC Coach of the Year in 1996 and was a candidate for The Sporting News Division I-A Coach of the Year in 1997.

In Grobe's final season with the Bobcats in 2000, Ohio posted impressive victories over bowl teams Minnesota (23-17) and Marshall (38-28) and closed the season by winning five of its last six games. Statistically, the Bobcats ranked in the top 30 nationally in eight different team categories. Ohio ranked second nationally in 2000 in rushing offense (323.0 ypg), 18th in fewest turnovers lost (18), 20th in scoring defense (18.9 ppg), 25th in total offense (418.1 ypg) and 30th in scoring offense (31.18 ppg). The Bobcats also ranked high nationally in two special teams categories -- fourth in net punting (39.7 ypp) and 29th in punt returns (11.95 ypr). Grobe's team produced the best fourth-down conversion numbers (8-of-12) in the MAC.

Grobe could have happily stayed at Ohio for several more years. However, the opportunity to "jump start" another program and coach in the Atlantic Coast Conference enticed him to make the move to Winston-Salem.

<a href='http://wakeforestsports.ocsn.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/grobe_jim00.html' target='_blank'>http://wakeforestsports.ocsn.com/sports/m-...robe_jim00.html</a>

-JD
06-16-2003 04:14 PM
rocketfootball
Unregistered

9. Miami beat North Carolina and Northern Illinois beat Wake Forest in football last season!

04-cheers
06-16-2003 04:44 PM
socalbyu
Unregistered

post this after the UNLV game!
06-16-2003 05:26 PM
rocketfootball
Unregistered

socalbyu Wrote:post this after the UNLV game!
Hmmm......I don't think I said anything about Toledo, but since you mentioned:

Toledo 38
UNLV 21

04-cheers

I will definitely make sure I find you on the MWC board after Toledo beats UNLV at Sam Boyd Stadium this fall!
06-16-2003 05:49 PM
RochesterFalcon
Unregistered

Quote:2002
Toledo 38
UNLV 21

You misspelled "Nevada-Las Vegas."

:devil:
06-16-2003 05:53 PM
Advertisement

GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

You're crazy if you think the MAC can touch the ACC. It's all well and good to beat UNC and Wake. But lets see you play F$U, NCSU or UMD.
06-16-2003 06:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rocketfootball
Unregistered

RochesterFalcon Wrote:
Quote:2002
Toledo 38
UNLV 21

You misspelled "Nevada-Las Vegas."

:devil:
03-confused What kind of humor is that?
06-16-2003 06:23 PM
rocketfootball
Unregistered

GDawgs88 Wrote:You're crazy if you think the MAC can touch the ACC. It's all well and good to beat UNC and Wake. But lets see you play F$U, NCSU or UMD.
Don't worry. This is all in fun based on a thread on the MAC board. I am glad that a SEC fan seems to care more than the ACC fans over here. On a consistent basis MAC schools cannot compete with the top teams in the ACC.

However, anything can happen on any given day. Take for instance Louisville's victory over FSU last season. However, Marshall beat Louisville pretty easily in the GMAC Bowl.

:wave:
06-16-2003 06:27 PM
AkronObsessed
Unregistered

So true...that's why they play the games.
06-16-2003 07:13 PM
bgnormals
Unregistered

ACC has the best players money can buy :D
06-16-2003 09:14 PM
Advertisement

HuskieDan
Unregistered

GDawgs88 Wrote:You're crazy if you think the MAC can touch the ACC. It's all well and good to beat UNC and Wake. But lets see you play F$U, NCSU or UMD.
We host UMd on 8/28 - at least we have the same home-field advantage that most BCS teams hold over most MAC teams in most MAC/BCS team matchups.

If we win, does that mean you'll shush?? :wave:
06-16-2003 10:28 PM
Paul
Unregistered

I don't buy the "superior" talk for a moment.

However, ALL Division I schools can compete
with anybody "on the proverbial given day"

The biggest difference between BCS leagues and
mid-majors is depth. (quality depth)

In recent years Toledo has "whipped" Purdue and
Penn St. Miami, O has had some quality wins. Marshall
has excelled in Bowls.

Perhaps one of the greatest MAC claims to fame would
be the three consecutive Tangerine Bowl wins that
Miami, O had in the mid-70's. Defeating...South
Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

But what places the ACC above the MAC is quality
depth. No MAC team would be able to compete
week to week, because they just do not have enough
quality players, to contend with injuries and what-nots
that occur during a season.

It takes 66 quality players to compete at the BCS
level week-to-week.

Which is why Florida State totally dominated the ACC
for the first 10 years. Now the rest of the league
has finally caught up in depth. and it ain't as easy as
it used to be...with the exception of Duke, Wake Forest
and, of course, Maryland!!!!

Maryland is playing 2 MAC schools this year, instead
of the traditional 1. I guess they thought the Wofford
would be "ready" with a rematch...huh?

MAC "far superior"...No, not in your wildest dreams...but the MAC "big boys" can compete with
anybody...(On a Given Day)
06-17-2003 02:19 AM
Lucy
Unregistered

rocketfootball Wrote:9. Miami beat North Carolina and Northern Illinois beat Wake Forest in football last season!

04-cheers
And Wake beat Northern Illinois the year before that...so what's your point? 03-wink
06-17-2003 06:28 AM
rocketfootball
Unregistered

Lucy Wrote:
rocketfootball Wrote:9.&nbsp; Miami beat North Carolina and Northern Illinois beat Wake Forest in football last season!

04-cheers
And Wake beat Northern Illinois the year before that...so what's your point? 03-wink
Toledo has never lost to an ACC school! 04-bow

Record = 0-0 :D
06-17-2003 08:54 AM
rocketfootball
Unregistered

Paul Wrote:I don't buy the "superior" talk for a moment.

However, ALL Division I schools can compete
with anybody "on the proverbial given day"

The biggest difference between BCS leagues and
mid-majors is depth. (quality depth)

In recent years Toledo has "whipped" Purdue and
Penn St. Miami, O has had some quality wins. Marshall
has excelled in Bowls.

Perhaps one of the greatest MAC claims to fame would
be the three consecutive Tangerine Bowl wins that
Miami, O had in the mid-70's. Defeating...South
Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

But what places the ACC above the MAC is quality
depth. No MAC team would be able to compete
week to week, because they just do not have enough
quality players, to contend with injuries and what-nots
that occur during a season.

It takes 66 quality players to compete at the BCS
level week-to-week.

Which is why Florida State totally dominated the ACC
for the first 10 years. Now the rest of the league
has finally caught up in depth. and it ain't as easy as
it used to be...with the exception of Duke, Wake Forest
and, of course, Maryland!!!!

Maryland is playing 2 MAC schools this year, instead
of the traditional 1. I guess they thought the Wofford
would be "ready" with a rematch...huh?

MAC "far superior"...No, not in your wildest dreams...but the MAC "big boys" can compete with
anybody...(On a Given Day)
You are right Paul! And if a Toledo or Marshall was able to move into a BCS conference we would easily be able to get the same quality recruits and depth. It's all about where you play and how much attention the media gives you.

Of course, this is also why MAC teams do good in the NCAA tournament in basketball. It is a lot easier to win a few games in a row against strong competition than it is to win against them all season long. That is the magic, motivation, and interest the NCAA basketball tournament gives to millions of people.

That is also why there should be a football playoff instead of the BCS! There really is no cinderella in college football because an undefeated Toledo or Marshall will not make the BCS, not alone the National Championship Game!
06-17-2003 08:58 AM
Advertisement

JD Heel
Unregistered

rocketfootball Wrote:That is also why there should be a football playoff instead of the BCS! There really is no cinderella in college football because an undefeated Toledo or Marshall will not make the BCS, not alone the National Championship Game!
On that part, I will agree with you. 04-cheers

-JD
06-17-2003 09:46 AM
georgia_tech_swagger
Unregistered

bgnormals Wrote:ACC has the best players money can buy :D
I'm sorry -- you seem to be lost.

Perhaps you meant to be here: <a href='http://www.secbbs.com' target='_blank'>http://www.secbbs.com</a>
06-17-2003 11:11 AM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

rocketfootball Wrote:However, anything can happen on any given day. Take for instance Louisville's victory over FSU last season. However, Marshall beat Louisville pretty easily in the GMAC Bowl.

I understand your reasoning, but that's like saying Arkansas were the SEC Champs last year because they beat LSU who beat Florida who beat Georgia even though UGA destroyed Arkansas in the SECCG.
06-17-2003 11:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rocketfootball
Unregistered

GDawgs88 Wrote:
rocketfootball Wrote:However, anything can happen on any given day.&nbsp; Take for instance Louisville's victory over FSU last season.&nbsp; However, Marshall beat Louisville pretty easily in the GMAC Bowl.

I understand your reasoning, but that's like saying Arkansas were the SEC Champs last year because they beat LSU who beat Florida who beat Georgia even though UGA destroyed Arkansas in the SECCG.
No, your example involves many more teams plus it talks about a team being a conference champion instead of having a chance of beating another team. FSU won't play at Marshall or Toledo to even give my theory a chance anyway. You know, the national media thinks that Conference USA is so much better than the MAC even though a C-USA team has not defeated a MAC team in a bowl game since C-USA was formed. I believe the record currently stands at 5-0 for the MAC.
06-17-2003 12:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.