Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WTF!!!!!!
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati

An absolutely pathetic performance. US loses by 18 to Italy, ****ING ITALY!!!!!!

Somethign could be said for the referees because they were obviously calling the game one sided.
The refs even changed the whole game. The US was down by 10 early in the fourth. Iverson got a steal I believe then he passed it into the lane where LeBron James was, LeBrong caught it and threw it down. The refs called the whistle, it looked to be a foul because there was obviously contact, but WTF they called a travel :mad:

A truly humbling experience for the US Mens basketball team. Even though it was only an exhibition, this team is going to have to work on a ton to win the Gold.
08-03-2004 03:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lucy Offline
All American

I Root For: Wake Forest

DonatorsCrappies

It sounds like the US played no defense (imagine that, given these are all NBA players :rolleyes:). Perhaps the USA U-21 team with Gray, Paul, May, etc. and Kelvin Sampson coaching should have been sent to the Olympics instead... 03-wink
08-03-2004 04:12 PM
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil

Lucy Wrote:It sounds like the US played no defense (imagine that, given these are all NBA players :rolleyes:). Perhaps the USA U-21 team with Gray, Paul, May, etc. and Kelvin Sampson coaching should have been sent to the Olympics instead... 03-wink
they should have been since the Olympics is suppose to be amatuers
08-03-2004 04:23 PM
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI

US dominance in basketball is still expected, but since 1992, the difference between the talent level of foreign teams has continually caught up with the US talent level. Just look at the NBA draft. Its starting to look like the NHL draft. But this is still pathetic. I still hate international rules, and all those foreign judges and refs out to try and screw America. :mad:
08-03-2004 08:53 PM
BuckeyeStu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Laettner's Legacy Wrote:
Lucy Wrote:It sounds like the US played no defense (imagine that, given these are all NBA players :rolleyes:).  Perhaps the USA U-21 team with Gray, Paul, May, etc. and Kelvin Sampson coaching should have been sent to the Olympics instead... 03-wink
they should have been since the Olympics is suppose to be amatuers
None of the foreign players are amatuers either, they a play in their own European leagues. Besides playing college kids in the olympics would be a joke at this point, they'd lose every game by 30 points.
08-03-2004 09:21 PM
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

Question for LL: Is the Olympics for the best athletes the world has to offer, or just for amateurs?
08-03-2004 09:49 PM
Advertisement

moloch_322 Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawt chix & UCF
Crappies

They went into the game with big heads expecting a bunch of pasta eating, moped riding Italians. What they got is a complete ***whooping. I think many of the pros playing don't really appreciate the Olympics, winning the gold, and making their country proud. Instead they prefer their fat NBA paychecks and pimped out Bentley's compared to their fans and countrymen.
08-03-2004 10:09 PM
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

T-Monay820 Wrote:Question for LL: Is the Olympics for the best athletes the world has to offer, or just for amateurs?
I always thought the intent was that it WAS for amateurs. aint it?
08-03-2004 10:11 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

moloch_322 Wrote:Instead they prefer their fat NBA paychecks and pimped out Bentley's compared to their fans and countrymen.
:stupid:
08-03-2004 11:08 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Italy played like a team.

Give them credit. The U.S.A's problem is that they have NO shooters, just a bunch of forwards who can hit fadeaways and throw down dunks.

What legit 3 point threat do we have?

These European teams play GOOD zone defense. Our boys aren't going to be able to dunk everything like they want to.

If they don't learn how to shoot quickly, it's gonna be a bad time at the Olympics.
08-03-2004 11:40 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

moloch_322 Wrote:They went into the game with big heads expecting a bunch of pasta eating, moped riding Italians. What they got is a complete ***whooping. I think many of the pros playing don't really appreciate the Olympics, winning the gold, and making their country proud. Instead they prefer their fat NBA paychecks and pimped out Bentley's compared to their fans and countrymen.
i disagree. i think they do care about the fans. i just don't think they've learned to appreciate the olympics, because of the way they're treated from amateur all the way through pro-status.
08-03-2004 11:52 PM
Advertisement

moloch_322 Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawt chix & UCF
Crappies

If I remember correctly, they actually had problems trying to get certain players to join the Olympic team this year. I guess they were too busy or something.
08-04-2004 01:46 AM
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

flyingswoosh Wrote:i disagree. i think they do care about the fans. i just don't think they've learned to appreciate the olympics, because of the way they're treated from amateur all the way through pro-status.
only thing they care about is who will give them more money. they have no loyalty. they dont care about the fans. thats why the NBA is such a week, boring product.
08-04-2004 06:29 AM
JD Heel Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC

CrappiesCrappies

JFlight21 Wrote:Somethign could be said for the referees because they were obviously calling the game one sided.
The refs even changed the whole game. The US was down by 10 early in the fourth. Iverson got a steal I believe then he passed it into the lane where LeBron James was, LeBrong caught it and threw it down. The refs called the whistle, it looked to be a foul because there was obviously contact, but WTF they called a travel :mad:
I didn't see this particular play, so keep that in mind with what I say here. If there was contact, then a foul should have been called.

That said, I think we're seeing exactly how pampered NBA players are. These guys are used to reaching in for steals (and generally playing lazy defense all around)... and then getting a fast break for a dunk. Oh, and they can get away with four or five steps on the way in for the dunk. NBA refs have learned to swallow the whistle for entertainment value, so the players will keep doing it because they know they can get away with it.

That ain't gonna fly here. Seems that international refs actually call things by the book (who knew?). It's about damn time.

Maybe the refs were one-sided in this game -- I don't know because I didn't watch. But, however they called it, they did the US team a favor. These guy needed a kick in the butt to get their attention. Now, they'd better wake up before they get their ticket home punched. I'm encouraged by the fact that Larry Brown is the coach -- because if anyone can mold this unit into a team, then Larry can. But, it may be too tough a task even for him....

-JD
08-04-2004 09:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

I Root For: Heels
Donators

Quote:That ain't gonna fly here. Seems that international refs actually call things by the book (who knew?). It's about damn time.

<span style='font-family:Impact'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>BOOM!</span></span></span>
08-04-2004 09:15 AM
Lucy Offline
All American

I Root For: Wake Forest

DonatorsCrappies

And once again, JD shows why he has been named the Voice of Reason... 04-bow
08-04-2004 09:46 AM
Advertisement

T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

Laettner's Legacy Wrote:
T-Monay820 Wrote:Question for LL: Is the Olympics for the best athletes the world has to offer, or just for amateurs?
I always thought the intent was that it WAS for amateurs. aint it?
I always thought it was for the best the world had to offer. If you're the best your country has to offer at that sport, you should be allowed to compete. They have Junior Olympics and stuff for amateurs.
08-04-2004 11:14 AM
SDSundevil Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Those guys are pathetic, what a joke, NBA players are truly soft.

Bronze or Bust!!!!
08-04-2004 08:08 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

I think you are giving the NBA and its refs a bit of a bum rap. Not all players get the benefit of the doubt on calls all the time. For the most part it is just a few superstars who are accustomed to having calls go their way. Paul Pierce, for one is especiall notorious for this. Also, defense in the NBA is not nearly as soft as you think, at one time it was, but one of the main problems with todays NBA is that there isnt enough scoring to make the games interesting. The one on one style favored in the NBA makes defensive slugfests, that can be entertaining at the college level incredibly boring in the NBA. Today's NBA more than ever is a defensive game. Finally im not sure what happens with international refs but allowing a player to take 4, 5, or even 6 steps on a breakaway dunk is not an NBA only phenomenon. The same thing happens on the college level in every game. I used to think all of the same things about the NBA until I actualy started to watch the games. IMO there is still nothing more boring than watching Orlando play the Hawks on a Friday night but if you get a matchup of two teams that play really good basketball (New Jersey vs. Sacramento for example) it can be pretty exciting. And if the last time you watched an NBA game was 5 or 6 years ago, the game has changed a lot since then.

As for this years team it is hard to say exactly what the problem is. I do find it troubling that many of the biggest stars dont want to play for their country in the Olympics but this is still a very talented team that we have assembled. Iverson and Duncan are two of the best players around and everybody knows how much Iverson wanted to be on this team. IMO Iverson alone has the ablility to will this team to victory and having Timmy in the post will just make it easier.
08-05-2004 12:30 AM
Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall

Donators

Well....they better get their act together. Up next, the defending World Champs. On the plus side....Serbia is missing several of their top players from 2002.
- - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BELGRADE, Serbia-Montenegro (AP) -- After two games of their pre-Olympic swing through Europe, it's already clear that the U.S. men's basketball team lacks experience, doesn't have many great shooters, isn't all that tall and is a month behind the competition in terms of preparation.

Now, they're about to face the defending world champions. And after listening to what the players and coach said Thursday, it's a safe bet that things could get worse before they get better.

``We've basically been trying to just pass, pass, pass to the point where we've been overpassing, because we're trying to play the right way, the way our coach wants to play,'' Stephon Marbury said. ``But there has to -- there's going to be -- a break-off , where we're just going to have to take those shots that we normally take and make.''

Marbury's comments appeared to be a telltale sign that the U.S. players still aren't on the same page with the coaches.

Only Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan and Richard Jefferson have played under Brown before, and the learning process for the other nine members of the team is coming along as slowly as an Angolan fast break.

The American players looked utterly flummoxed when confronted by the tightly packed zone defense that Italy played in Cologne during the first stop of their five-game exhibition tour of Europe, though the ball movement and shot selection improved in a last-second victory over Germany.

Those two teams, however, do not represent the type of top-echelon competition the Americans will face Friday night against Serbia-Montenegro -- or in Athens against the likes of Lithuania, Spain, Argentina and others.

The Serbian team, which won the World Championship in 2002 on U.S. soil in Indianapolis, started its Olympic preparations on June 28 -- almost four full weeks before the Americans opened training camp. All of the other top teams were practicing and playing in warm-up competitions throughout July, too.

``Our tactical level is much better than the American team's. That's reality,'' said Serbian assistant coach Igor Kokoskov, who worked under Brown last season with the NBA's Detroit Pistons. ``No question the Americans have great names, great potential, but it takes time to put a team together.''

That fact was well known to Brown, his assistants and the team architects for USA Basketball who were under the impression a year ago that the team that qualified in Puerto Rico would return largely intact for the Olympics.

But a series of defections and rejections left only three returning players, and Brown is now confronted with the task of fielding a team that's as unfamiliar with each other as it is with the competition.

Many of the American players divulged Thursday they had little or no idea exactly who is playing for Serbia-Montenegro, or what schemes their upcoming opponent tends to favor.

``We've still got a lot to learn, but we're getting better,'' Dwyane Wade said. ``We've got so much talent on this team, but we're not using that talent to the best of our abilities.''

Like the Americans, the team from Serbia-Montenegro does not have its full complement of the country's best players. Among those sitting out are Peja Stojakovic of the Sacramento Kings, Marko Jaric of the Los Angeles Clippers, Darko Milicic of the Detroit Pistons and Vlade Divac of the Los Angeles Lakers.

But the Serbians have used their practice time and their years of familiarity with each other to bond into a cohesive unit, one that executes its plays to perfection, analyzes its opponents on film and in person, and pays attention to the message of its head coach, Zelimar Obradovic.

Brown's rants have clearly fallen on a few pairs of deaf ears.

``We're trying to make them aware, but I don't know if they understand,'' Brown said. ``I think we made progress after the Italian game. They saw players from other parts of the world who can really play, and that was enlightening to a lot of our young kids.

``They saw guys really play as a team as a result of playing together for a long time, and because they take so much pride in playing for their countries, so I think all those things were kind of new to our guys. They might have heard it from us, but they've got to experience it firsthand.''

Much to the dismay of the folks watching in America, that learning experience has been a painful one to behold. The only saving grace is that the Olympics are still more than a week away, and whatever happens in exhibition games won't matter in Athens.
08-06-2004 12:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.