Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kerry Says His 'Family' Owns SUV, Not He
1125 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati, NKU

Folding@NCAAbbsSkunkworks

[Image: ra2105727080.jpg]
PITTSBURGH (AP) - Does John Kerry, who supports higher automobile fuel economy standards, own a gas-guzzling SUV? He does, but says it belongs to the family, not to him.

During a conference call Thursday with reporters to discuss his upcoming jobs tour through West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan, the Democratic presidential candidate was asked whether he owned a Chevrolet Suburban.

``I don't own an SUV,'' said Kerry, who supports increasing existing fuel economy standards to 36 miles per gallon by 2015 in order to reduce the nation's dependence on foreign oil supplies.

Kerry also has made rising gasoline prices an issue in the campaign against President Bush. In Houston on Thursday, Kerry said the president broke a 2000 campaign pledge to ``jawbone'' oil-producing nations by pressuring them to increase their output.

Kerry thought for a second when asked whether his wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, had a Suburban at their Ketchum, Idaho, home. Kerry said he owns and drives a Dodge 600 and recently bought a Chrysler 300M. He said his wife owns the Chevrolet SUV.

``The family has it. I don't have it,'' he said.

Kerry said it's important for his family to buy American cars and pledged to keep car manufacturing jobs in the country if elected. He said he is interested in a hybrid car, and has talked to Ford about making it the ``campaign car.''

``We're going to keep jobs in America and help the industry be more competitive with foreign manufacturers that are building those cars today,'' Kerry said.

The Massachusetts senator said he'll release more details during the jobs tour about his plans to keep jobs in the country.

``I want cars to be made in Michigan, made in America, made'' by the United Auto Workers, Kerry said.

Looks to me that he tried to avoid the question and change the subject
04-23-2004 08:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

joebordenrebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

And what kind of car does George Bush drive? And, since he's in the pocket of Big Oil, why does he have such an environmentally-friendly ranch in Crawford? Isn't that hypocritical, too?
04-23-2004 11:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU

Quote:"I want cars to be made in Michigan, made in America, made'' by the United Auto Workers, Kerry said.

Ah, the old 'if you buy a car made by foreign hands, you're a traitor' tactic, practically heard ad nauseum here in the Detroit area.

I guess it's rarely pointed out that several overseas manufacturers (Nissan and BMW, just to name a couple) build their cars right here in the US of A anyway. Seems to me the workers in those plants are just as "American" as the perpetually worshipped UAW workers. And even the traditional Big 3 makes utilize overseas-based suppliers for their internal parts and raw material.

Frankly, I don't care if Kerry drives a French Peugot, if that's what he likes.
04-24-2004 09:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

joebordenrebel Wrote:And what kind of car does George Bush drive? And, since he's in the pocket of Big Oil, why does he have such an environmentally-friendly ranch in Crawford? Isn't that hypocritical, too?
Thats his home-town :rolleyes: Its along the lines of these hollywood moguls that preach save the tress as they are looking at 400 page scripts and driving their SUV's. I dont think Bush ever claimed he was #1 on the environment. Howver the democratic party caters to the tree-huggers, he cant have it both ways, if he's pro clean air, drive up in a hyrid car, then i would beleive him.
04-24-2004 06:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DukeofDrums Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati

Motown Bronco Wrote:Frankly, I don't care if Kerry drives a French Peugot, if that's what he likes.
He and the french do have a lot in common...

:drink:
04-24-2004 07:33 PM
1125 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati, NKU

Folding@NCAAbbsSkunkworks

What will this country come 2 if he is elected...God forbid ODDBALL any comments?
04-24-2004 11:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.