Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cuba says Ronald Reagan should...
1125 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati, NKU

Folding@NCAAbbsSkunkworks

HAVANA - Cuba harshly criticized former President Ronald Reagan and his policies on Monday, saying he should ``never have been born.''

In the first reaction to Reagan's death from the communist government, Radio Reloj said:

"As forgetful and irresponsible as he was, he forgot to take his worst works to the grave,'' the government radio station said.

"He, who never should have been born, has died,'' the radio said.

The statement did not mention Cuba's relationship with the United States under Reagan, a staunch foe of communism.

It also did not mention Reagan's decision to order U.S. forces to invade the tiny Caribbean country of Grenada on Oct. 25, 1983, because Washington feared the island had grown too close to Cuba.

Since the early 1960s, Cuba and the United States have been without diplomatic relations, and Cuba has been under a U.S. trade embargo. But relations between the two countries were especially tense when Reagan was in office from 1981-1989.

Radio Reloj lambasted Reagan's military policies, especially the ``Star Wars'' anti-missile program. The initiative, launched when the Soviet Union still existed, rejected a long-standing doctrine built on the idea that neither superpower would start a nuclear war out of fear of annihilation by the other.

The radio also criticized Reagan's policies in Central America, where Washington backed a counterrevolutionary rebel army that fought against the leftist Sandinista government in Nicaragua. The United States also supported a conservative government that battled Marxist guerrillas during El Salvador's civil war.

"His apologists characterize him as the victor of the Cold War,'' the radio said. ``Those in the know knew that the reality was not so, but rather (he was) the destroyer of policies of detente in the overall quest for peace.''

<a href='http://news.bostonherald.com/national/view.bg?articleid=30971&format=text' target='_blank'>http://news.bostonherald.com/national/view...971&format=text</a>
06-07-2004 06:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wryword Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

When you consider the effect upon Cuba of the fall of the Soviet government and system in Russia, it is understandable why Cuba would take such a line. From Castro's perspective, Reagan must have seemed very like Satan himself. But I forget myself: Klutz has previously taken me to the woodshed for saying that Reagan had anything substantial to do with the fall of Communism. Since Reagan had nothing to with all that, we are left to suppose that Castro is just saying stuff for no actual reason.
06-07-2004 07:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU

Quote:"As forgetful and irresponsible as he was, he forgot to take his worst works to the grave,'' the government radio station said.

"He, who never should have been born, has died,'' the radio said.

This only serves to prove that Reagan did something right. I'd be absolutely thrilled if a totalitarian regime said that about me upon my passing.

Castro just misses sucking on the Soviet teet for handouts.
06-07-2004 10:12 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

UCBearcats1125 Wrote:"He, who never should have been born, has died,'' the radio said.
This sounds like some Harry Potter character referring to Lord Voldemort.

:roflol: :roflol:
06-08-2004 02:36 PM
SDSundevil Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Hello, its Fidel Castro, is anyone surprised. He should croak soon and perhaps Cuba can reform.
06-08-2004 07:51 PM
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

SDSundevil Wrote:Hello, its Fidel Castro, is anyone surprised. He should croak soon and perhaps Cuba can reform.
Your wrong. I saw a couple of weeks ago, via official Cuban media, that Fidel's personal physician stated that Fidel was healthy enough to live to 140+.
06-08-2004 10:05 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

GrayBeard Wrote:
SDSundevil Wrote:Hello, its Fidel Castro, is anyone surprised. He should croak soon and perhaps Cuba can reform.
Your wrong. I saw a couple of weeks ago, via official Cuban media, that Fidel's personal physician stated that Fidel was healthy enough to live to 140+.
I found the AP story....<a href='http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2004/05/18/1084783511071.html' target='_blank'>Fidel to live to at least 140.</a>.

so we have another 60+ years of our little communist hold out friend to the South of Miami!
06-08-2004 10:12 PM
Advertisement

SDSundevil Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Thats laughable, I'll take the under :wave:
06-12-2004 07:07 PM
1125 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati, NKU

Folding@NCAAbbsSkunkworks

GrayBeard Wrote:
GrayBeard Wrote:
I found the AP story....<a href='http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2004/05/18/1084783511071.html' target='_blank'>Fidel to live to at least 140.</a>.

so we have another 60+ years of our little communist hold out friend to the South of Miami!
I was the proud poster of that article
06-12-2004 10:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SDSundevil Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

That article seems nothing more than communist propaganda, to suggest that he will live to 140 is ridiculous.
06-12-2004 11:32 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

SDSundevil Wrote:That article seems nothing more than communist propaganda, to suggest that he will live to 140 is ridiculous.
To feel the need to say so might be more ridiculous. 03-wink
06-13-2004 09:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.