Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The best of "Modern Worship"
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

Does it deeply perturb anybody besides me that they are trying to market "christian raves"?

Bonus points: Isn't "christian rave" an oxymoron?
07-10-2003 02:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Man, if they are anything like the "raves" that I used to go to, there ain't nothing Christian about it......Yes, that is a huge oxymoron!
07-10-2003 05:03 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

I have heard nothing about it but I would assume a Christian Rave would be an attempt to create the party atmosphere minus the drug use. I would say that it is not an oxymoron and it is rather close minded to think of it as an oxymoron. It is probably a Rave party atmosphere without the drug use and probably involving Christian music. I think it would be easily accomplished amongst Christian people. The idea is that kids can have fun without drugs...not a very complicated idea at all...
07-10-2003 05:11 PM

I think it's abuse of the english language myself.

When you think rave.. what comes to mind?

If you said loud music (most likely techno/trance) and drugs, drugs, drugs --> You are correct!

If you said "modern worship" christian pop goo and trying to market religion like it should be on MTV's TRL --> Sorry, but we have some lovely parting gifts for you!
07-10-2003 05:15 PM
10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:I think it's abuse of the english language myself.

When you think rave.. what comes to mind?

If you said loud music (most likely techno/trance) and drugs, drugs, drugs --> You are correct!

If you said "modern worship" christian pop goo and trying to market religion like it should be on MTV's TRL --> Sorry, but we have some lovely parting gifts for you!
I totally agree, Swag.....me, in all my close-minded splendor!! :rolleyes:
07-10-2003 05:24 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

I dont see how there is anything wrong with attempting to produce a rave enviroment for young Christians....please explain.

And there are plenty of bands who are self professed Christians on TRL anyways (Good Charlotte, POD, Creed, or Jars of Clay and Sixpence none the richer a few years back). Please tell me where the problem is.

Just because you arent Christian doesnt mean you have to rip them for trying to connect with today's youth in creative (and effective) ways. It is definitley close minded.
07-10-2003 08:53 PM
Advertisement

10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Terpy Wrote:Just because you arent Christian doesnt mean you have to rip them for trying to connect with today's youth in creative (and effective) ways. It is definitley close minded.
You need to hang on and step back with that comment, Jack! I think the point Swag was trying to make was that it didn't seem right calling a Christian event a "Rave", something that has a reputation for being sex and drug-ridden. And just because I agree that calling it a rave and associating a Christian event with something that vile makes me close-minded and an atheist? Whatever, bro, you are sorely warped in your thinking. You need to think before you speak, Bud, before you start accusing someone of not being a Christian.
07-10-2003 09:58 PM
tarheelsben1 Offline
Mac Guru

I Root For: UNC
Folding@NCAAbbs

<a href='http://www.pillarmusic.com' target='_blank'>[Image: 0E510E5AAB03469DABBC0071CFBE5FA3.jpg]</a>

<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>PILLAR WILL ROCK YOUR FACE OFF!!!!!!!!</span></span></span>

doesnt really have that much to do with this thread, but why not?
07-10-2003 10:16 PM
tarheelsben1 Offline
Mac Guru

Folding@NCAAbbs

<a href='http://www.tourniquet.net' target='_blank'>[Image: indexlogocopy.jpg]</a>

<a href='http://www.disciplerocks.com' target='_blank'>[Image: 20962627.jpg]</a>
07-10-2003 10:32 PM
tarheelsben1 Offline
Mac Guru

Folding@NCAAbbs

and just think, 20 years ago people would've said, "christian rock! what an oxymoron!"

makes you think, doesn't it? :wave:
07-10-2003 10:36 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

First of all, I wasnt "accusing" anyone of being non-christian or an atheist. If the wording of my post made you think that I was I appologize. I was generalizing non-christian's (not necessarily atheist) reaction to Christian's attempt to influence mainstream pop culture in a positive way.

I will however, stand by my feeling that it would be close-minded to think that a Christian "Rave" would be an oxymoron. Just because a typical rave is filled with sex and drug use doesnt mean that there cant be a rave type party without these elements. I know it isnt a rave but I know Christian girls (who dont drink) who occaisonally go to frat parties at my school because they like to dance. There is no doubt similar situations at raves, Christians (or perhaps merely people with morals) go to the parties because they like the atmosphere, while shunning the drugs and sex. I have never been to a rave (and dont intend to because I think House/Techno/Trance music is crap and of course I am morally opposed to the drug use) So I dont exactly know the nature of Raves, but I assume it is possible to go to one and enjoy the atmosphere without partaking in drugs/sex.

IMO A Christian Rave is no more of an oxymoron than a Christian Rock concert.
07-10-2003 10:51 PM
Advertisement

Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Also as far as the negative connotations with the work rave. How would you advertise a Christian rave type party without using the word Rave...All this would be much more interesting if GTS would have supplied a link with his post.
07-10-2003 11:02 PM
tarheelsben1 Offline
Mac Guru

Folding@NCAAbbs

<a href='http://www.clubworship.org/' target='_blank'>http://www.clubworship.org/</a>

not a rave, but alot of fun... i've been there :D
07-10-2003 11:11 PM

<a href='http://www.worshipmusic.com/2434819260.html' target='_blank'>http://www.worshipmusic.com/2434819260.html</a>

See the commercial to truely witness what I attest to.

And christian rock still is an oxymoron.

I'm sorry, but outside of POD and one song by Live... christian rock should be thrown in under "soft rock" -- another oxymoron.
07-10-2003 11:16 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Have you ever heard DC Talk? They are a good Christian Rock band hard guitar riffs and stuff. I will admit that most Christian Rock bands arent as talented as mainstream bands and until fairly recently record companies wouldnt sign bands just because they were Christian. For instance, there is no way that POD (as a rock band composed of Christians) would be as popular as they are today had they come out 10 or 15 years ago. Most record companies wouldnt have signed them simply because they are Christian. POD (and Creed and a few other bands) have prooved the being Christian doesnt mean that they cant create a mainstream following. It is good to see that Christian Rock bands that are talented can get record deals with the big labels and keep their Christian Image, even if they cant sing truly Christian songs for their Albums. That is the difference between say POD and DC Talk, DC talk is a Christian Rock band, and POD is a rock band that is Christian, they still sing uplifting kind of songs but they dont have a clear Christian message.
07-10-2003 11:35 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

tarheelsben1 Wrote:<a href='http://www.clubworship.org/' target='_blank'>http://www.clubworship.org/</a>

not a rave, but alot of fun... i've been there :D
great link...looks like a cool place

and a little quote I found from there

Quote:Praise and worship in a club environment, rave style

:laugh: 03-razz
07-10-2003 11:51 PM
Advertisement

tarheelsben1 Offline
Mac Guru

Folding@NCAAbbs

Quote:And christian rock still is an oxymoron.

I'm sorry, but outside of POD and one song by Live... christian rock should be thrown in under "soft rock" -- another oxymoron.&nbsp;

hey! did you look at any of the links i posted? if you think they are soft, you need to get your head examined! i can provide alot more links if you want
07-11-2003 06:10 AM
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil

WWJD with "Christian Rock" and "Christian Rave"?
07-11-2003 06:14 AM
Lucy Offline
All American

I Root For: Wake Forest

DonatorsCrappies

There are plenty of Christian Rock bands out there. Most of you are too young to remember Petra. They were close to heavy metal with Christian lyrics. There is nothing wrong with musicians using whatever medium/style they most enjoy to convey a Christian message. People are moved & drawn to different styles. That is why so many formats are out there. Not all Christian music has to be "soft rock" or by Amy Grant, Sandi Patti, or Rich Mullins.
07-11-2003 07:06 AM
tarheelsben1 Offline
Mac Guru

Folding@NCAAbbs

Laettner's Legacy Wrote:WWJD with "Christian Rock" and "Christian Rave"?
probably the same thing i do, jump around and have fun worshiping

btw lucy, i went to a petra concert once, that was sweet!
07-11-2003 07:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.