Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

State of the Union Address
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

1) Ed Kennedy, you drunkard, Capital Hill has already approved the president's military use, so why should he have to have it approved again?

2) To the reactionary dems -- you bloody fools -- if you can't see we need to go take out Saddam, perhaps you'd like to wait until YOU'RE the victim.

3) Support would be nice for Iraq... but in the words of Bush.. "And we're asking them to join us, and many are doing so. Yet the course of this nation does not depend on the decisions of others." Translation: F*** you France, Turkey, et al.

4) As for humanitarian aid to Africa.... where in the world did THAT come from? You want to stop the spread of AIDS there? TELL THEM TO STOP SCREWING!!!

5) The Democratic plan for "bettering" the economy will not work. The tax breaks for all will end up going to people like Visa... Mastercard... and American Express. At least the overwhelming majority will. You want to make the economy better --- give the buisnesses a break.
01-29-2003 12:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Peoples Champion Offline
1st String

I Root For:

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:1) Ed Kennedy, you drunkard, Capital Hill has already approved the president's military use, so why should he have to have it approved again?

2) To the reactionary dems -- you bloody fools -- if you can't see we need to go take out Saddam, perhaps you'd like to wait until YOU'RE the victim.

3) Support would be nice for Iraq... but in the words of Bush.. "And we're asking them to join us, and many are doing so. Yet the course of this nation does not depend on the decisions of others." Translation: F*** you France, Turkey, et al.

4) As for humanitarian aid to Africa.... where in the world did THAT come from? You want to stop the spread of AIDS there? TELL THEM TO STOP SCREWING!!!

5) The Democratic plan for "bettering" the economy will not work. The tax breaks for all will end up going to people like Visa... Mastercard... and American Express. At least the overwhelming majority will. You want to make the economy better --- give the buisnesses a break.
Tell me, if Saddam was such a big part of bush's agenda, why wasn't it one of the first issues addressed when he came to office?

I'm telling you now, the reason he used this is because it was the one way that he could bolster support for himself, amidst the work (or lack thereof) that he did on domestic issues, except for drilling the alaskan reserve and affirmative action.
01-29-2003 12:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JD Heel Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC

CrappiesCrappies

Although I'm quite sure a nice little war with Iraq would help Bush a lot going into the next election, his "window-dressing" reason for it (for those of you that think of it that way) is more than good enough for me.

Whether he believes in it or not -- and I think he does -- I don't want to be standing around wondering how the world was stupid enough to allow Saddam Hussein to develop nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons. I would really hope that any president would stand up to that kind of threat even if it didn't help him politically.

Also, probably my favorite part of that speech was the portion that dealt with AIDS in Africa. Not only was it deeply moving, it made a lot of sense to me. For all the times when it seems like our government sits around and does absolutely nothing, it's wonderful to see a proactive approach to something like the AIDS situation. The president presented it as an opportunity like one we've never had before -- instead of throwing money at something that won't do us any good, this seems like money that would do a world of good.

So, in response to GTS -- no, I don't think it will suffice to tell the people of Africa to "stop screwing."

-JD
01-29-2003 01:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SSJT Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

GTS, read the pamphlet "Cutting Corporate Welfare" by Ralph Nader.
01-29-2003 02:41 PM
LilRedTerp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

1) Ed Kennedy, you drunkard, Capital Hill has already approved the president's military use, so why should he have to have it approved again?

Maybe because it's technically a different war? I dunno...just a thought. By the way...I know this is nitpicky, but it's Ted, not Ed. :D

Gee...North Korea actually HAS weapons of mass destruction, and we're not exactly piling up outside THEIR door. North Korea is also incredibly impoverished, and imo, much more likely to hawk their wares to the world market. Also...taking out Saddam will not stop the tide of extremism in the Middle East.

So we can go ahead with our imperialistic ways just because Bush wants to take out Saddam for reasons that he's conveniently overlooked in other countries--even our allies? (i.e. torture, genocide, human-rights abuses, having weapons of mass destruction, etc.)

It's a cultural thing...much like a lot of the middle east, Africa is based on tribal customs. It's these customs of sex with young girls, and it not being manly to use a condom--even though monogamy is not practiced in several of their cultures (and being able to beat your wife if she insists on one) that has made the spread of AIDS so prevelent. Money needs to be sent there to help improve the quality of life in sub-saharan Africa...and I totaly agree with the reasons why.

When credit card amounts are payed down, this gives the lower to middle-income families more spendable cash to be able to buy the things they need (such as food, clothing, household goods, cars) on a daily basis. If you give the "less rich" people more spendable income, you can almost guarantee that it will get spent in the economy. If you give more tax breaks to the upper-middle and upper classes, most of it will be turned RIGHT BACK INTO mutual funds, and not spent in the economy. As for the businesses...they already get huge tax breaks and corporate welfare. Farm subsidies are one thing to keep in mind, and the fact that most major corporations have so many write-offs and loopholes in the tax law to use that they end up paying no tax at all.

<!--EDIT|LilRedTerp|Jan 29 2003, 03:26 PM-->
01-29-2003 03:18 PM
p5mmr9 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I'd like to know how GTS proposes we "tell" Africans to "Stop Screwing?" CNN? Or the New York Times?...which? We could try Fox News if you'd like...
01-29-2003 05:22 PM
Advertisement

p5mmr9 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

By the way, HIV is transmitted not only via sexual contact, but by infected blood transfusions, dirty needles, poor hygiene...ANY transmission of bodily fluids can spread the virus. That was a pretty ignorant comment GTS...but you aren
01-29-2003 05:27 PM
SSJT Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I'm glad you see that LRT. Not many do.
01-29-2003 09:39 PM
SSJT Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Why did all my Georgetown forum posts end up in here?

<!--EDIT|SSJT|Jan 30 2003, 08:29 PM-->
01-29-2003 09:39 PM
LilRedTerp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

SSJT Wrote:I'm glad you see that LRT. Not many do.
Thanks...I guess I just like being a "unique individual"! 03-wink

:D

:ninja:
01-29-2003 09:47 PM
SSJT Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

posted this in the wrong area, or ncaabbs f'd up

<!--EDIT|SSJT|Jan 30 2003, 08:28 PM-->
01-29-2003 09:48 PM
Advertisement

calling_the_hogs Offline
1st String

I Root For:

My comments...

GTS, first off... you can tell em to stop screwing, but it won't work. Think about it. If I told you "Stop screwing your gf", would you? HELL NO you wouldn't.

On Iraq: Hell yeah we need to go after em. And big props to Italy, Spain, and Poland for jumping on board where those wusses from France and Germany got off.

Economy: Basic micro and macroeconomic courses taught me right off that the Dems "Keynesian" economics do not work for America today. Why? Easy... 1) Gov. is too big, and 2) Gov. is never NOT corrupt. Go with the GOP economic plan, it does work no matter what.

Hydrogen Cars: Great move by Bush. We should put MORE spending into this program. Not only does it shut up the "We're going to war for OIL" people, but if it works... Hydrogen cars will shut down the value of oil, and the Middle Eastern countries lose their shirts.

Aid to Africa: Don't like how much $$ we're giving to it, but again I believe diplomacy is the reason. Bush wants the world to realize he's trying to help the world, not destroy it.

What we need is government to get smaller, people to get more $$... that's by CUTTING TAXES, and the security of freedom kept strong.

Great speech
01-30-2003 04:26 PM
Big Pimpin Deac Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

[quote="p5mmr9"]we still have a long way to go to educate the masses
01-30-2003 04:48 PM
LilRedTerp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

So if we cut taxes, how do we fund this war???
01-30-2003 08:10 PM
nate jonesacc Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

LilRedTerp Wrote:So if we cut taxes, how do we fund this war???
It's all very complicated, I don't think anyone on this board knows how it will all finagle out.
01-30-2003 08:35 PM

Deficit Spending... Reganomics.

I hate this whole bs story about the national debt. WTF do you think a dollar is?? It's a issuane of DEBT! This country's economy THRIVES on debt.
01-30-2003 08:39 PM
Advertisement

nate jonesacc Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:
Deficit Spending... Reganomics.

I hate this whole bs story about the national debt. WTF do you think a dollar is?? It's a issuane of DEBT! This country's economy THRIVES on debt.
Yeah and plus, most of the debt is just owed from one branch to another branch.
01-30-2003 08:40 PM

No - the REAL problem is special interest groups.

Boo hoo - if we axe this group 5 farmers in southwestern central oklahoma can't grow crops anymore. So lets keep funding an insane amount of money too them!

And if they get axed - the Dems will play the sob story fiddle until the next election.

It takes an act of god to eliminate a special interest.
01-30-2003 08:47 PM
nate jonesacc Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

On the subject of Bush and Africa, I went to South Africa this summer...

And let me tell you, anything you thought was bad about the poverty and AIDS, it's worse. I visited a place outside of Joburg called "Ivory Park". It was truly the most impoverished place I have EVER seen; videos, newspapers, magazines, movies, ANYTHING. I mean, 7 people would live in a 50 cubic ft. tin shack. It was really disgusting. Well, on AIDS, our team talked to an AIDS expert in South Africa, and he harped on the fact that the South African president is so moronic on the issue that it will never change drastically under his authority. The president doesn't even think that AIDS comes from HIV :rolleyes: And another problem is the ever so popular, yet mythical idea that if you have AIDS, and you have sex with a virgin, you will get rid of it. Of course, we all know that idea is complete and utter BS, but unfortunately, people there don't.

It's just a TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE situation, and I wish more Americans knew about the situation in Africa. Kudos to G-Dub for addressing it.
01-30-2003 08:56 PM
SSJT Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

That was the one part that I liked about the s.o.t.u., but lip service is one thing -- making an attempt to do something about it is another
01-30-2003 08:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.