Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

LK, I hope your boy is OK..
rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

I Root For: Heels
Donators

Walton hurt as 'Zona routs in-state rival
Thomas leads way for Texas

TUCSON, Ariz. - Will Bynum scored a career-high 18 points, all on 3-pointers, but No. 1 Arizona lost Luke Walton to a sprained right ankle in a 101-66 rout of Northern Arizona Wednesday night.

Jason Gardner scored 24, including five of six 3-pointers, and the Lumberjacks committed 26 turnovers against the Wildcats' trapping, full-court defense.

Freshman Hassan Adams added 21 points as five Arizona players reached double figures.

Walton left the game with 15:42 to play in the first half and did not return. The team trainer said the injury was in a different place than a sprain in the same ankle that sidelined Walton for the first exhibition game.

The extent of the injury will be re-evaluated when the swelling goes down.

Arizona (2-0) also didn't have Salim Stoudamire, last year's Pac-10 freshman of the year, who has yet to play this season because of a sprained left ankle.

Kelly Golob scored 14, including four of seven 3s, while Ryan McDade and Aaron Bond added 12 points each.

The Lumberjacks (1-2) of the Big Sky Conference, who were listed as 34-point underdogs by oddsmakers, stayed with the Wildcats throughout the first half and trailed just 44-39 at the break but were blown out 57-27 after that.

Arizona scored the first 13 points of the second half to go up 57-39 on Adams' layup, which followed a Northern Arizona turnover.

Channing Frye's 14-footer made it 61-41 with 15:32 to play. Golob's two 3-pointers and one by Kyle Feuerbach cut it to 63-50 with 12:39 remaining. But Gardner's three-point play and layup boosted the lead to 68-50.

Northern Arizona briefly cut the lead to 70-56 on Bond's stuff with 10:10 to go, then Arizona put it away with a 16-2 run, punctuated by Gardner's final 3-pointer.

Kodiak Yazzie's basket put Northern Arizona up for the last time, 29-28, with seven minutes left in the half. Arizona finally put together an 8-0 run to go up 36-29 on Rick Anderson's two free throws with 5:07 left until halftime.

But the pesky Lumberjacks came back with an 8-2 spurt to cut the lead to 38-37 on Kyle Feuerbach's dunk with 1:34 to go in the half. Gardner's 3-pointer with 3 seconds left gave Arizona a 36-31 halftime lead.

Walk-on Fil Torres sank a 3-pointer at the final buzzer to put Arizona over the century mark and beat the 34-point spread.

The Wildcats' first two opponents - Western Kentucky and Northern Arizona - committed 54 turnovers against Arizona. The Wildcats won those games by a combined 208-124.

Arizona doesn't play again until next Tuesday at home against Saint Louis.
11-30-2002 08:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Liquid Karma Offline
1st String

I Root For:

The word is that Walton will play on Tuesday. As I have seen with Josh Howard a high ankle sprain is something that can nag a player for an entire season and I am worried that will be the case with Walton.

That said, it gives their freshmen Hassan Adams and Andre Igoudala a chance to get some quality PT before the tough games start up.

I don't know if anyone has had a chance to watch 'Zona play yet this year, but there isn't a more entertaining team in hoops right now.
11-30-2002 11:27 PM
Advertisement

SDSundevil Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

NAU is not really a rival to UA or ASU whatsoever, in most sports they are not D1. Is Jon Mackovic OK, he is 3-13 in pac ten games since taking the helm. Nice to see the Cats finish last in the pac.
12-01-2002 12:53 AM
Liquid Karma Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Scumdevil - if you have been paying any attention at all you would know that I absolutely despise Mackovic not only for what he has done to what was once a decent Arizona football program but also for blatantly using Wake Forest(both mine and his alma-mater) as a stepping stone to larger programs.

Congrats on your win in Tucson. Thank you for not trashing our stadium this time.
12-01-2002 01:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.