Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fans go on strike for Giants/Rockies game
JoltinJacket Offline
The Resident Stat Machine

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksHall of FameCrappies

All I'll say is I'm proud of the Denver fans. All fans should've gone on their version of a strike today...let's send our own message.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
With the specter of a strike hanging over baseball, the Giants found it hard to talk about Thursday's 10-6 win over the Colorado Rockies.

"We're fighting for a playoff spot, and this cheapens the thrill of beating a good team,'' Kent said. "And I think the Rockies are a good team. Guys really aren't focused on the wins. They're focused on whether we're going to play (Friday).''

Bonds hit his 40th homer of the season and Kent went deep twice.

Fans, upset at the possibility of a strike Friday, displayed several signs during the game, including one reading "Field of Greed.'' The crowd of 26,300 was the smallest in Rockies' history.

Added Giants manager Dusty Baker, "You'd hear comments from the fans about money, and you saw the signs in the stadium. It's getting a little nasty.'' </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
08-29-2002 09:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

ABSOLUTELY!

People are out there with a nearly empty 401K, forced to work again or starve... losing health insurance... and these rick bastards are aguing over how much of a millionaire they wanna be.

**** THEM.

If baseball goes on strike, I will never be a fan of it again. Period.
08-29-2002 09:54 PM
JD Heel Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC

CrappiesCrappies

I think it's a bluff. There's no way they are that stupid to let it happen again.

If they are, God help them....

-JD
08-29-2002 09:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JoltinJacket Offline
The Resident Stat Machine

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksHall of FameCrappies

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JD Heel:
I think it's a bluff. There's no way they are that stupid to let it happen again.

If they are, God help them....

-JD</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I hope you're right JD. They would have to be out of their collective tree to go on strike again. People will come back, but they won't jump back in as fast as they did in 1995.

The picture I'll always remember is in September of 1995, the game that Cal Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's streak, someone had a poster that read "Thank you Cal, for saving baseball." This time around, the most memorable sign I've seen read "Go ahead and strike! We've got football!"

Folks, there isn't a Cal Ripken streak, or a McGwire-Sosa homerun chase to save the game this time. Barry Bonds isn't exactly a fan favorite, so his chase of 700 homers won't captivate the nation the same way. People won't flock to see Roger Clemens' 300th win. And mostly, crowds will be even thinner at Tigers, Expos, Royals, and Marlins, games.

Maybe this is all part of Bud's grand scheme. If they go on strike, revenue from tickets goes way down in those cities and contraction will move forward. [NOTE:Sarcastic tone]

<small>[ August 29, 2002, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: JoltinJacket ]</small>
08-29-2002 10:24 PM
JD Heel Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC

CrappiesCrappies

Bluff all the way. They aren't as stupid as they seemed to be... although I still think they lost face with the fans for this charade.

-JD
08-30-2002 11:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nate jonesacc Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

The mere fact that those stuck up bastards are toying with the fans pisses me off.
08-30-2002 03:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.