Why do you think he said no to playing? 05-mafia
01-24-2006 02:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up

The Americans wouldn't change their name to the "United States Bonds'"..... 03-hissyfit 03-hissyfit
01-24-2006 03:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Re: Barry Bonds question
rickheel Wrote:Why do you think he said no to playing? 05-mafia

He is an ass, plain and simple.

ARod finally signed on, so losing Bonds does not matter as much now. He was only going to DH as it was...
01-24-2006 03:01 PM
jrhessey Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cleveland
SkunkworksNCAAbbs LUG

He originally said yes, why the change of heart, I don't know. Honestly I'm suprised by the amount of players that are playing in this. I figured the injury bug would be most of their excuses!
01-24-2006 03:11 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

because he's coming off three knee surgeries and does not want to jeopardize the giants' good shot at making the series this year, and maybe his last chance of making it. i hope you aren't intimating that he is afraid of the drug testing, because he was tested all of last year and will be tested all of this year.
01-24-2006 03:43 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
mlb Wrote:

He is an a$$, plain and simple.

ARod finally signed on, so losing Bonds does not matter as much now. He was only going to DH as it was...

i have a feeling you'll be caling a lot of players that. Joel sherman in the Post said a couple of days ago that many US players will drop out before and during the tourney.

i still think it's gonna be awesome. i'm going down to florida during spring break to see the Pool D games (domincan, venezuelan, australia and some other team).
01-24-2006 03:45 PM
Advertisement

rteynor Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

I still can't believe MLB is letting their stars play. What if A-Rod blows an ACL or something? I mean, hurting the Yankees chances is a good thing in my book, but I just can't see how the owners are letting players take part in this. They won't be practicing with their own team. There's the addtional possibility of injury. I don't know why they didn't do this in November.
01-24-2006 03:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

rteynor Wrote:I still can't believe MLB is letting their stars play. What if A-Rod blows an ACL or something? I mean, hurting the Yankees chances is a good thing in my book, but I just can't see how the owners are letting players take part in this. They won't be practicing with their own team. There's the addtional possibility of injury. I don't know why they didn't do this in November.

i'm pretty sure a team can't stop a player fro playing, they can only persuade them. it's the individual players choice.

i reall hope the dominican team wins.
01-24-2006 04:01 PM
rteynor Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

flyingswoosh Wrote:
rteynor Wrote:I still can't believe MLB is letting their stars play. What if A-Rod blows an ACL or something? I mean, hurting the Yankees chances is a good thing in my book, but I just can't see how the owners are letting players take part in this. They won't be practicing with their own team. There's the addtional possibility of injury. I don't know why they didn't do this in November.

i'm pretty sure a team can't stop a player fro playing, they can only persuade them. it's the individual players choice.

i reall hope the dominican team wins.

The players are under LEGAL contract to their MLB team. If the team says "NO", then I would think the player deciding to play could potentially be in breach of contract if they get hurt and can not perform their expected duties for the team that pays them.
01-24-2006 04:32 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

[/quote]

The players are under LEGAL contract to their MLB team. If the team says "NO", then I would think the player deciding to play could potentially be in breach of contract if they get hurt and can not perform their expected duties for the team that pays them.[/quote]

their is no mention of an offseason tourney in their contracts. i'm telling you that i am nearly positive these teams can't stop their players.
01-24-2006 04:41 PM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

I'm just glad a few of the Braves' key players have backed out of playing in it. That's why I think this is a flawed idea. I mean, in theory I like it a lot, but obviously it doesn't mean much to our players as they're more concerned about being 100 percent heading into Spring Training than playing in the WBC. I'm looking forward to it, I just think it's got a lot of obvious drawbacks.
01-24-2006 04:42 PM
Advertisement

The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Because the international drug laws are much harsher?
01-24-2006 05:01 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

The Knight Time Wrote:Because the international drug laws are much harsher?

no wonder the NFL and NBA don't have tournaments (minus the olympics).
01-24-2006 05:05 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

rteynor Wrote:The players are under LEGAL contract to their MLB team. If the team says "NO", then I would think the player deciding to play could potentially be in breach of contract if they get hurt and can not perform their expected duties for the team that pays them.

Major League Baseball is the main sponsor of this tourney, and the people who put it together. I guarantee you all the owners got together and said they would not block any players from going out for their country's team.
01-24-2006 05:59 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

here's your evidence smart guy: 'Teams can't officially block someone from playing for their country, but they can lobby the league office to exclude a player due to the 'likelihood of injury.'

i told you they can't forbid their players from playing.
01-24-2006 06:11 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

don't you think if owners could forbid them from playing, the boss would've stopped jeter from participating? where's your common sense?
01-24-2006 06:12 PM
Advertisement

blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up

flyingswoosh Wrote:here's your evidence smart guy: 'Teams can't officially block someone from playing for their country, but they can lobby the league office to exclude a player due to the 'likelihood of injury.'

Wow, it's great to have you back..... 01-wingedeagle
01-24-2006 07:45 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

blah Wrote:
flyingswoosh Wrote:here's your evidence smart guy: 'Teams can't officially block someone from playing for their country, but they can lobby the league office to exclude a player due to the 'likelihood of injury.'

Wow, it's great to have you back..... 01-wingedeagle

thanks.
01-24-2006 07:57 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Letts have swoosh banned all he brings is malice.
01-24-2006 08:10 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

Terpy Wrote:Letts have swoosh banned all he brings is malice.

i assure you, i wouldn't been too chuffed. but if you must eliminate the diversity of ideas, then go for it. Just like college professors.
01-24-2006 08:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.