Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The MPAA: moving further towards the brink
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
The MPAA: moving further towards the brink
They want for anybody with a home theatre (defined as any room with a 29" or larger TV, stereo sound, and seating for 2 or more) to have to pay a registration fee to the MPAA and provide statistics to the MPAA about what is playing and in front of how many people. The following quote by the CHAIRMAN of the MPAA galls me:

Quote:"Just because you buy a DVD to watch at home doesn't give you the right to invite friends over to watch it too. That's a violation of copyright and denies us the revenue that would be generated from DVD sales to your friends," said Glickman. "Ideally we expect each viewer to have their own copy of the DVD, but we realize that isn't always feasible. The registration fee is a fair compromise.

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2006/11/home-...tions.html

(It's a satire, but you at least half believed it, didn't you?)
11-27-2006 04:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

no i didn't half believe it. I have no problem with the MPAA. they don't bother me. It's the same thing with the Patriot act. everyone pisses and moans about it, but i don't care. if they don't bother me, i won't b*tch about them.
11-27-2006 07:47 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Dont scare me like that!
11-27-2006 07:55 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

I think you all know that for the most part I agree with swoosh on this issue (did I really say that??) But holy crap if that were for real it would be absolutely absurd.
11-27-2006 07:56 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

Terpy Wrote:I think you all know that for the most part I agree with swoosh on this issue (did I really say that??) But holy crap if that were for real it would be absolutely absurd.

it would be absurd, but it wouldn't matter 'cause they couldn't enforce it.
11-27-2006 08:18 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

And the reality is they are able to enforce only a few of their regulations.
11-27-2006 08:27 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user

Next thing you know, is that you won't be able to pirate music. I for one love pirating music, but I actually buy most of the artists cds that I pirate. I wouldn't say all, because I'd be damn damn broke, but pretty close.
11-27-2006 09:35 PM
Advertisement

Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

The new Audioslave was the first cd I have bought in close to a year, maybe more. With Christmas coming up, I might buy a couple with the cash I am probably going to be getting from the Grandparents. Im thinking either the Sublime boxed set or the Johnny Cash boxed set that came out a year or so ago.
11-27-2006 09:38 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

i buy a lot of cd's. it's only fair. if i want a pair nikes i don't steal them, i buy them.
11-27-2006 09:47 PM
Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I Root For: UC & Bushmills
Folding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGDonatorsDonators

You know things are bad when the truth is indistinguishable from parody.
11-28-2006 08:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

Great point, B_R.
11-28-2006 08:34 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

Bourgeois_Rage Wrote:You know things are bad when the truth is indistinguishable from parody.

only for people with no sense.
11-28-2006 09:44 AM

Bourgeois_Rage Wrote:You know things are bad when the truth is indistinguishable from parody.

Ahhhhh.. somebody got the point.
11-28-2006 03:34 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Wrote:no i didn't half believe it. I have no problem with the MPAA. they don't bother me. It's the same thing with the Patriot act. everyone pisses and moans about it, but i don't care. if they don't bother me, i won't b*tch about them.

Could you bah like a sheep for me please? The DMCA's biggest provision is that it says bypassing copyright protection is illegal, REGARDLESS of the reason or use. Fair Use DOES NOT APPLY in this situation.

- Ripping MP3s from any copy protected CD
- Ripping/Backing up any DVD for any purpose
- Playing DVDs in Linux
- Backing up PS2/XBox/XBox 360 games
- Transcoding a DVD to put on your video iPod / PSP

The Zune (Microsoft's "iPod killer") is the pinnacle of the DRM problem and the DMCA. It has its own proprietary DRM. It doesn't even work with Windows Media Player or Windows based DRM. Forget iTunes. It even puts DRM on stuff you record whether you like it or not. Worse still -- Microsoft pays Universal a percentage of the profit from every Zune sold. Talk about a bad precedent. How long before the RIAA wants some action from every iPod ... iRiver ... etc?
11-28-2006 03:41 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:
flyingswoosh Wrote:no i didn't half believe it. I have no problem with the MPAA. they don't bother me. It's the same thing with the Patriot act. everyone pisses and moans about it, but i don't care. if they don't bother me, i won't b*tch about them.

Could you bah like a sheep for me please? The DMCA's biggest provision is that it says bypassing copyright protection is illegal, REGARDLESS of the reason or use. Fair Use DOES NOT APPLY in this situation.

- Ripping MP3s from any copy protected CD
- Ripping/Backing up any DVD for any purpose
- Playing DVDs in Linux
- Backing up PS2/XBox/XBox 360 games
- Transcoding a DVD to put on your video iPod / PSP

The Zune (Microsoft's "iPod killer") is the pinnacle of the DRM problem and the DMCA. It has its own proprietary DRM. It doesn't even work with Windows Media Player or Windows based DRM. Forget iTunes. It even puts DRM on stuff you record whether you like it or not. Worse still -- Microsoft pays Universal a percentage of the profit from every Zune sold. Talk about a bad precedent. How long before the RIAA wants some action from every iPod ... iRiver ... etc?

what does this have to do with me? A) i only do one of those things and B) if they don't bother me about doing it, i won't whine about it, like some people.
11-28-2006 05:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.