Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Big Ten Network has conference thinking expansion — again
SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
Big Ten Network has conference thinking expansion — again
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/f...sion_N.htm

The creation of the Big Ten Network means conference officials likely will discuss expansion again, Commissioner Jim Delany said Wednesday.
"I think we need to look at it in the next year," he said during a wide-ranging interview with Register reporters.

Adding a 12th team likely will be revisited because of the network, which is scheduled to launch Aug. 30, Delany said. An additional big-name university in a large television market means more exposure for the network and its sponsors.

"It changes to some extent how you think about it," Delany said of expansion. "The broader (the network) is distributed, the more value (expansion) has.

"We have eight states. With expansion, you could have nine."

Said Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz: "If it makes sense — if the right institution was interested — I think there would be consideration given."

The conference looked toward Notre Dame when exploring expanding to 12 teams in 1999 but the Irish chose to remain a football independent.

"There was great value there," Delany said of Notre Dame's national appeal. "There aren't many universities that produce that kind of value."

Rutgers and Syracuse could be universities at whom the Big Ten looks.

"Wherever," Delany said when asked about specifics. "With the network — there's a different element. It changes the dynamics."

In football, a 12th university could mean two divisions and a postseason playoff.

"Any television executive would do whatever they could to be able to air a game like the Big Ten championship," said Mark Silverman, Big Ten Network president. "It would be worth a considerable amount of value.

"Fans would take to something of that nature if it were in the best interest of the conference."

Coaches think otherwise, said Ferentz.

"I've not met anybody in coaching that really enjoys it," Ferentz said of the divisional playoff format.

"There's a lot of downside to it, in my opinion."

Among the concerns are playing an additional game and the potential of missing out on a BCS bowl if you lose the conference title game.

But expansion could also result in a large conference without divisions.

"I'm agnostic," Delany said. "I could live with two divisions and a championship game, but I think that has a tendency to devalue the season-ending game and have a negative impact on your losing team in season-ending games.

"I don't want us to tear ourselves apart over the structure of football for the sake of expansion."

Nor does Ferentz.

"If it makes sense — if the right institution was interested — I think there would be consideration given," he said.

Delany cautioned against rushing to add a 12th school.

"You have to build a network that has value first," Delany said. "You don't expand it until you have it built.

"Until we have a fully distributed network in the eight states, then you have a value and then you can look at expansion.

"Every time you make a major adjustment in the Big Ten, there's a gestation period. You have to allow one set of efforts to settle in, and then catch a breath."
07-25-2007 11:42 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

SO#1 Offline
1st String

RE: Big Ten Network has conference thinking expansion — again
If there is another blind-sided we might as well turn off the light.
07-25-2007 11:44 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
Well, do people BELIEVE me now???

If Notre Dame doesn't capitulate, it will be Rutgers, Syracuse, or Missouri.

Cheers,
Neil
07-25-2007 11:48 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
omnicarrier Wrote:Well, do people BELIEVE me now???

If Notre Dame doesn't capitulate, it will be Rutgers, Syracuse, or Missouri.

Cheers,
Neil

Oh I believe you and I would not blame Syracuse or Rutgers for leaving. But if the Big East would lose one as long as Schiano stays at Rutgers I would let Syracuse go.
07-26-2007 12:30 AM
USFMike Offline
1st String

I Root For:
wow, just great after all the work the conference did to get back, the mudslinging is going to be back in full force. i see this getting a lot worse before it gets any better. losing either rutgers or cuse would be a crushing blow, i know for damn sure we better split if that happens. add memphis and ecu and hope for the best. 03-banghead
07-26-2007 01:35 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
USFMike Wrote:wow, just great after all the work the conference did to get back, the mudslinging is going to be back in full force. i see this getting a lot worse before it gets any better. losing either rutgers or cuse would be a crushing blow, i know for damn sure we better split if that happens. add memphis and ecu and hope for the best. 03-banghead

Even though the article mentions Notre Dame, Rutgers and Syracuse, don't forget Missouri.

I'm hoping CatsClaw was right and its Missouri.

But with the Big Ten Network, a $45-55 million dollar pie is awfully enticing. And I doubt very much the Big Ten will want to leave it hanging there for the ACC to pick up either. 03-banghead

Cheers,
Neil
07-26-2007 01:48 AM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
We have HOPE guys.

Don't know how valid the information is that I am getting, but just heard from a Pac-10 guy out on the coast and he heard it will be Missouri.

And the reason? Get this.

To break up the Big 12 so that Texas and Texas A&M go to the Pac-10.

Wow! Hard to believe, but in a crazy sort of way, it kind of makes sense.

Cheers,
Neil
07-26-2007 01:55 AM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
doesnt pac 10 expansion need a unanimous vote? if so, i think texas MIGHT get all the votes, but i have a hard time seeing wazzu, oregon state, cal, or stanford voting for the aggies for a variety of reasons
07-26-2007 03:28 AM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
aTxTIGER Wrote:doesnt pac 10 expansion need a unanimous vote? if so, i think texas MIGHT get all the votes, but i have a hard time seeing wazzu, oregon state, cal, or stanford voting for the aggies for a variety of reasons

There are few few big prizes out there that command TV markets. ND is obviously one. Texas is another. The Texas market is 22 million. Think about how much money that would be for a 'Pac 10 channel'. In addition, you add new markets for ABC/ESPN, bowl games, NCAA BB credits, etc. You think any of those schools would turn down that much money?
07-26-2007 03:57 AM
templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
The biggest TV market out there is NY area. Ironicly BE success might be it's down fall. If B-10 expansion looks like it will happen & moves at snail pace. Expect the ACC to strike 1st.
07-26-2007 04:19 AM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC
If the Big 10 expands, and that's a big if, I suspect Missouri (assuming Notre Dame says no) will be the 12th team. Missouri makes geographical sense, and it has the academic profile to be a Big 10 school. It has 2 large TV markets in St. Louis and Kansas City. I think that Texas could also be another wildcard choice for the Big 10. Talk about TV markets!!

There is definitely a lot of unhappiness in the Big 12 right now. Whether this translates into Texas and A & M leaving for the Pac 10, and Missouri leaving for the Big 10 remains to be seen. And if they do, how will the Big 12 reconfigure itself? I don't think that Arkansas or LSU will be interested in joining the Big 12 without those teams in the league.
07-26-2007 05:51 AM
Advertisement

SO#1 Offline
1st String

What is the penalty for leaving the Big 12?
07-26-2007 06:09 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
For the B10 to add TX & TAMU, they would need to revise their by-laws. To expand the conference the new member must be in a B10 state or in a state touching a B10 state. Nebraska & Missouri work in the west, WVU, Pitt, Syracuse, and Rutgers in the East. Pitt doesn't bring enough new revenue so they are out (I presume), WVU isn't an AAU school, Syracuse is a small private school poor fit in a league of large public schools. Rutgers fits the profile of a B10 school very well. We should all hope they take Missouri.

A wildcard selection could be Maryland. Borders PA and could expand the B10 footprint into the DC area. St Louis & KC, or Baltimore & DC, which would you take? The two states are within 100,000 in total population. They already have a partial presence in NYC because of PSU.
07-26-2007 06:20 AM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
If the above scenario would occur (Mizzou to the Big Ten, Texas & A&M to the Pac 10), you'd still have a decent conference with:

Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Nebraska
Kansas State
Kansas
Iowa State
Colorado
Texas Tech
Baylor

+

BYU
Utah
Boise State

Still keeps the Big XII name. Or boot Baylor and replace them with a Texas school that makes more sense (Houston, SMU, UTEP maybe).
07-26-2007 06:36 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
Lee Corso was babbling on about the conference adding Missouri on the new CFB show on ESPN.

Food for thought. The Big Ten Network hired outgoing Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg recently, and some expect him one day to take over for Jim Delaney. Who else can speak about Missouri's candidacy better than Weiberg?
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2007 06:50 AM by mattsarz.)
07-26-2007 06:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Smokin Pirate Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
I'm not sure Missouri leaving for the Big 10 would break up the Big 12 because it has been reported a number of times that Arkansas would like to get into the Big 12 and resume it's games with Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. They would be a likely choice to leave the SEC and move to the Big 12.

These conference shake ups aren't over yet. There will be more movers and shakers and if MT isn't awake the Big East could lose another school.

Suppose Mizzou goes off to the Big 10 and Arkansas moves over to the Big 12 leaving the SEC looking. They could come after Louisville or WVU. Taking either one of those programs would definately hurt the Big East. If the Big 10 goes after Syracuse or Rutgers that too could hurt the Big East as well. The Big East doesn't need to lose any more schools.

Therefore, ole MT better wipe off those rose colored glasses and get pro-active instead of re-active. 05-nono
07-26-2007 06:54 AM
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
SO#1 Wrote:What is the penalty for leaving the Big 12?

Can't find the bylaws online, but in reading a few other conferences bylaws, as long as you provide the notice prescribed to in the conference bylaws, you may be required to forgo your school's share of conference revenues for the final year in the conference.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2007 06:56 AM by mattsarz.)
07-26-2007 06:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
MichaelSavage Wrote:If the above scenario would occur (Mizzou to the Big Ten, Texas & A&M to the Pac 10), you'd still have a decent conference with:

Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Nebraska
Kansas State
Kansas
Iowa State
Colorado
Texas Tech
Baylor

+

BYU
Utah
Boise State

Still keeps the Big XII name. Or boot Baylor and replace them with a Texas school that makes more sense (Houston, SMU, UTEP maybe).

Does this proposed conference have enough television sets to make it powerful? The loss of Missouri, Texas and Texas A&M would be a huge hit for the B12.

Secondly, Boise State (even though it is winning today) is located in Idaho. Although Boise is a growing city, it still is not a "marketing dream". I do agree that Utah and BYU would be the logical choice to review. It would also make sense to review Memphis, Houston, and Southern Miss.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2007 07:04 AM by chess.)
07-26-2007 07:02 AM
Jackson1011 Online

I Root For:
mattsarz Wrote:Lee Corso was babbling on about the conference adding Missouri on the new CFB show on ESPN.

Food for thought. The Big Ten Network hired outgoing Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg recently, and some expect him one day to take over for Jim Delaney. Who else can speak about Missouri's candidacy better than Weiberg?

I believe Herbstreet said again yesterday that he thought it would be Missouri. One would hope he would be plugged in to everything

Can anyone now arge the point that we need to split and expand? I was on of the few who was getting to like the new league and even I'm begining to see this is a neccesary move. We just can't stay at eight foootball playing members with another raid hanging over our heads

IMO, Memphis is becoming almost a vital addition. Has the bball program to replace SU if they leave, can help with bowls if RU leaves. If no one leaves then we have another solid program

Jackson
07-26-2007 07:13 AM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
Seriously, if the Big 10 Network is this BIG, why not just expand to 14?

East

Rutgers or Pittsburgh
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue

West

Missouri
Northwestern
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska

Frankly, the Nebraska television market is small. Syracuse, Pittsburgh, or Rutgers (New Jersey) may make more sense.

If the Big 10 pushes to 14, then the SEC and ACC would make the same push.

SEC

East

South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
West Virginia or Louisville

West

Alabama
Auburn
LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Arkansas
Oklahoma (and/or Kansas and/or Oklahoma State)

The point is not the "teams" as much as consolidating television markets. I also think the power conferences want ensure a "tiered" system for a championship.

The ACC could grab Connecticut and Syracuse (or Rutgers or Pittsburgh) and then be at 14 schools.

The loser will be the left overs in the Big 12 who will, once again, raid the Big East, MWC and C-USA for teams.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2007 07:24 AM by chess.)
07-26-2007 07:13 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.