Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New BCS Conferences
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
New BCS Conferences
Here's from a thread on another board

New BCS Conference (replaces Big East in BCS)
North - Indiana, Illinois, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Kentucky
South - LSU, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, North Carolina

New SEC
West - Arkansas, Tulane, Memphis, Vanderbilt, Mississippi, Mississippi State
East - Georgia Tech, Louisville, Auburn, South Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina State

New Big Ten
West - Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota
East - Michigan State, Purdue, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland

New ACC
North - Boston College, Connecticut, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Temple, Virgina Tech
South - Virginia, Duke, Wake Forest, Clemson, Florida State, Miami

New Big Twelve:
North - Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State
South - Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas Christian, Texas-El Paso

As a result of the BCS-level shuffling, Conference USA adds Louisiana Tech to go to nine schools, and the WAC and Mountain West are down to eight schools apiece while they wait for schools to upgrade. The Sun Belt escapes unchanged.
04-26-2008 04:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
RE: New BCS Conferences
Ummmm... not going to happen. This is pointless.
04-26-2008 08:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
No way no how will you ever mix high academic schools like the ACC with the football factory "physical fitness education major" SEC.
04-26-2008 10:17 PM
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil
what?
04-26-2008 11:47 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Wow, we even get left out in crazy land.

Sheesh.
04-27-2008 12:00 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:No way no how will you ever mix high academic schools like the ACC with the football factory "physical fitness education major" SEC.

03-lmfao Riiiggghhhhhtttttt.t. You sound like the rest of the SEC haters. Shall we go down the list as to the academic accomplishments of the SEC, GTS? You're going to honestly sit there and say the SEC is a "physical fitness education major" school and use a sports program as your proof? Do you want to use a little math to point out the percentage of athletes (in the sport you're referring to) to regular student ratio? Hey, can we bring in Florida State while we're at it? How about Miami? Clemson? Hell, VT? Any school that would graduate an idiot like Michael Vick can have some questions posed.

Puhleeze. If the SEC approached GT they'd jump in a heart beat. I'll put Vandy up against any school in the ACC. I'd put UF's business program against any in the ACC as well. Wanna start talking about Rhodes scholars?

Cut back on the Hater-Ade. I hear it's bad for the Kidneys when taken in exorbitant amounts.
04-27-2008 02:32 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
chargeradio Wrote:Here's from a thread on another board

New SEC
West - Tulane

I'm guessing you got this from the Golden Hurricane board?
04-27-2008 06:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI
RebelKev Wrote:Hell, VT? Any school that would graduate an idiot like Michael Vick can have some questions posed.

When you call out the academics of Old VPI, I gotta jump in.

U.S. News & World Report's “America's Best Colleges 2008” (fall 2007)

- Virginia Tech ranked 29th among national public universities. Among national universities, including such private institutions as Harvard and Yale, Virginia Tech ranked 71st.
- The Virginia Tech College of Engineering undergraduate program was ranked 14th in the nation (tied with Johns Hopkins and Northwestern) among all accredited engineering schools that offer doctorates. It was eighth among engineering schools at public universities.
- Six Virginia Tech undergraduate engineering specialties ranked among the top 20 of their respective peer programs ( aerospace engineering, 14th; civil engineering, 11th; electrical engineering, 17th; engineering science and mechanics, eighth; environmental engineering, 14th; industrial engineering, ninth; and mechanical engineering, 14th.
- The Pamplin College of Business undergraduate program is ranked 41st among the nation's undergraduate business programs and 24th among public institutions. Pamplin's overall ranking places it in the top 10 percent of the approximately 460 U.S. undergraduate programs accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International.

Football
- 80% graduation rate in 2008

Also, 1) Vick never graduated, and 2) there have been far bigger idiots to actually have graduated from college from the world of football. (But I will give you he's a total douschebag and an embarrasment to the Institute).
04-27-2008 09:40 AM

RebelKev Wrote:You're going to honestly sit there and say the SEC is a "physical fitness education major" school and use a sports program as your proof? Do you want to use a little math to point out the percentage of athletes (in the sport you're referring to) to regular student ratio? Hey, can we bring in Florida State while we're at it? How about Miami? Clemson? Hell, VT? Any school that would graduate an idiot like Michael Vick can have some questions posed.

Lowest ACC school in the rankings is FSU at 119. Highest SEC school is South Carolina coming in at 114.

Quote:Puhleeze. If the SEC approached GT they'd jump in a heart beat. I'll put Vandy up against any school in the ACC. I'd put UF's business program against any in the ACC as well. Wanna start talking about Rhodes scholars?

Given how our new AD inherited a GTAA 7 figures in the red, and just now has it in the black, GT wouldn't take the nearly $2,000,000 paycut associated with moving from the ACC to the SEC. ACC payout is north of $9 mil. SEC payout is north of $7 mil.
04-27-2008 12:02 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
The academic standards ratings among schools is rather subjective. Each school has a mission that it performs for its student population. Ag schools don't serve the same purpose a more technical school does. But each is equally important.

I my opinion, rankings of this nature seem to be nothing more than a way for one group to say it is superior to another. I ignore them for the most part, although I do look for amusement once in a while.
04-27-2008 12:10 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
ETSUfan1 Wrote:
chargeradio Wrote:Here's from a thread on another board

New SEC
West - Tulane

I'm guessing you got this from the Golden Hurricane board?
No, from collegesportsinfo.com
04-27-2008 02:45 PM
Advertisement

Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:
RebelKev Wrote:You're going to honestly sit there and say the SEC is a "physical fitness education major" school and use a sports program as your proof? Do you want to use a little math to point out the percentage of athletes (in the sport you're referring to) to regular student ratio? Hey, can we bring in Florida State while we're at it? How about Miami? Clemson? Hell, VT? Any school that would graduate an idiot like Michael Vick can have some questions posed.

Lowest ACC school in the rankings is FSU at 119. Highest SEC school is South Carolina coming in at 114.

Quote:Puhleeze. If the SEC approached GT they'd jump in a heart beat. I'll put Vandy up against any school in the ACC. I'd put UF's business program against any in the ACC as well. Wanna start talking about Rhodes scholars?

Given how our new AD inherited a GTAA 7 figures in the red, and just now has it in the black, GT wouldn't take the nearly $2,000,000 paycut associated with moving from the ACC to the SEC. ACC payout is north of $9 mil. SEC payout is north of $7 mil.

Did you forget about Vanderbilt (#19) on purpose? The only ACC school ranked higher is Duke...

And Florida is 49, Georgia 59...

This whole argument is silly, you arent even a Georgia Tech student so why should you care?

I didnt go to Maryland, im just a fan of their athletics, I dont give a **** about where they are ranked in the USNews report. All I care about is my alma mater.
04-27-2008 05:06 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
chargeradio Wrote:New ACC
North - Boston College, Connecticut, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Temple, Virgina Tech
South - Virginia, Duke, Wake Forest, Clemson, Florida State, Miami

New Big Twelve:
North - Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State
South - Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas Christian, Texas-El Paso

As a result...
..they oughta ban you for posting such nonsense.

Temple, Cincinnati and WVU in the ACC...riiiiiiiiiiiight.
04-27-2008 05:14 PM

Terpy Wrote:Did you forget about Vanderbilt (#19) on purpose? The only ACC school ranked higher is Duke...

And Florida is 49, Georgia 59...

This whole argument is silly, you arent even a Georgia Tech student so why should you care?

I didnt go to Maryland, im just a fan of their athletics, I dont give a **** about where they are ranked in the USNews report. All I care about is my alma mater.

Nope. I used the world public school rankings from the commission in China that was tasked with ranking all publics worldwide (which would exclude WF, Dook, Vandy, etc) for the purposes of comparing to Chinese Universities. They have Florida (IIRC) around 130 and UGAg in near 200.

USN&WR is a joke.
04-27-2008 07:19 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Commie
04-27-2008 07:33 PM

Terpy Wrote:Commie

Far more accurate than USN&WR.

Just one example of how flawed USN&WR is: they give points based on total research grant dollars. Not research grant dollars PER CAPITA, just research grant dollars. So as far as USN&WR is concerned, School A with enrollment 40,000 and research grants of $40,000 is better than School B with enrollment 10,000 and research grants of $30,000.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2008 07:49 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
04-27-2008 07:43 PM
Advertisement

Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
You really believe the PRC knows more about our schools than USNews?

And as far as your other point, 40 grand is better than 30 no matter how you slice it. So yes, a $40,000 dollar grant at a school with an enrollment of 40,000 is better than a $30,000 grant at a school with an enrollment of 10,000.

And excluding all private schools in this discussion is absurd.
04-27-2008 08:57 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Terpy Wrote:You really believe the PRC knows more about our schools than USNews?

Only when they say things that support his fallacious claims.
04-27-2008 11:21 PM
Quote this message in a reply

RebelKev Wrote:
Terpy Wrote:You really believe the PRC knows more about our schools than USNews?

Only when they say things that support his fallacious claims.

They at least know how to normalize per capita, unlike USN&WR.

Which figures, because

[incredibly obvious stereotype joke]
Asians are good at math.
[/incredibly obvious stereotype joke]
04-28-2008 05:30 AM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Why on earth would you normalize per capita research grants? That makes no sense. The Chinese do it because they are communists what is your reasoning?
04-28-2008 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.