Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Guess who isn't on the ballot in Texas?
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Guess who isn't on the ballot in Texas?
The GOP and Dems missed the filing date in Texas. Bob Barr will be the only person on the ballot in Texas. (Pre-cheating)
08-27-2008 05:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
RE: Guess who isn't on the ballot in Texas?
I take it you are talking about the Presidential ballot?

That is awesome!
08-27-2008 05:36 PM
SouthGAEagle Offline
Overzealous Admin

I Root For: Mercer & USM

SkunkworksDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesSurvivor Champion
The GOP and Dems had to have their candidates registered back in January. Then, they had primaries in March.

Write-in candidates don't have primaries, so they had a deadline of August 26th to register:

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/can...es07.shtml
08-27-2008 05:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
perunapower Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:The GOP and Dems missed the filing date in Texas. Bob Barr will be the only person on the ballot in Texas. (Pre-cheating)

I'm curious, where did you hear this?

It's not on WFAA (Dallas/Ft. Worth), KHOU (Houston), KSAT (San Antonio), KXAN (Austin), or in The Dallas Morning News, The Houston Chronicle, or The Fort Worth Star-Telegram, so I'm going to go ahead and say you're full of crap.
08-27-2008 06:22 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Proof please.....Nothing on the TV news tonight about this. If this was true...it would have been the top story on NBC tonight.
08-27-2008 06:39 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
This is being reported on the LP website. The LP is claiming that the GOP and Dems missed the deadline....not confirmed beyond this...that I can find.
08-27-2008 06:43 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Hell the parties dont really follow their own rules in some cases anyway. Im sure they will be allowed on there....to which the LP will sue, and lose.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2008 07:04 PM by ETSUfan1.)
08-27-2008 07:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Fo Shizzle Wrote:Proof please.....Nothing on the TV news tonight about this. If this was true...it would have been the top story on NBC tonight.

Putting faith in the media? You should be ashamed.

It's on the LP website. http://www.lp.org
08-27-2008 07:05 PM
Essency Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
SouthGAEagle Wrote:The GOP and Dems had to have their candidates registered back in January. Then, they had primaries in March.

Write-in candidates don't have primaries, so they had a deadline of August 26th to register:

Thanks for the link. So according to the information provided, the Dems, Reps, and Libs must register by 1/2/2008. Independents register 5/12/2008 and write-ins register NLT 8/26/2008. I'd assume everyone registered on time but here's the link from the press release: 2008 General Election Candidates. Perhaps they're holding the major-party candidates off till both have their running-mates.
08-27-2008 07:12 PM
Advertisement

THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Essency Wrote:
SouthGAEagle Wrote:The GOP and Dems had to have their candidates registered back in January. Then, they had primaries in March.

Thanks for the link. So according to the information provided, the Dems, Reps, and Libs must register by 1/2/2008. Independents register 5/12/2008 and write-ins register NLT 8/26/2008. I'd assume everyone registered on time but here's the link from the press release: 2008 General Election Candidates. Perhaps they're holding the major-party candidates off till both have their running-mates.

This is a cool Urban Legend, but I suspect both parties would be freaking out if this were a real issue.

Here's a thought, and I'm just guessing here, but is it possible since the site lists President/Vice President and only the LP ticket has been known for some time that the site will be updated with the MAJOR party candidates once McCain announces his VP pick Friday?
08-27-2008 07:26 PM
Essency Offline
Special Teams

THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:
Essency Wrote:Perhaps they're holding the major-party candidates off till both have their running-mates.
Here's a thought, and I'm just guessing here, but is it possible since the site lists President/Vice President and only the LP ticket has been known for some time that the site will be updated with the MAJOR party candidates once McCain announces his VP pick Friday?

Well, yeah. That's pretty much what I said.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2008 07:36 PM by Essency.)
08-27-2008 07:34 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Essency Wrote:
THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:
Essency Wrote:Perhaps they're holding the major-party candidates off till both have their running-mates.

Well, yeah. That's pretty much what I said.

I guess that's what I get for trying to combine replies, my first statement was really to your post, the Major party announcements should have been posted separately to GTS's original post. 03-banghead Got lazy just like a Democrat. 05-stirthepot
08-27-2008 07:41 PM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:This is a cool Urban Legend, but I suspect both parties would be freaking out if this were a real issue.

Or how bout this, until today Obama/Biden wasn't officially the ticket for the dems. McCain/??? won't be official til next week.

Somehow I doubt rules dictate that you must have your candidates registered on the ballot before you've ever officially nominated them.
08-27-2008 08:02 PM
Advertisement

niuhuskie84 Offline
All American

I Root For:
georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:
Fo Shizzle Wrote:Proof please.....Nothing on the TV news tonight about this. If this was true...it would have been the top story on NBC tonight.

Putting faith in the media? You should be ashamed.

It's on the LP website. http://www.lp.org

Well, than I guess that passes all the journalistic scrutiny required....

Quote:The August 26 deadline is for independent and third party candidates. -- Texas Election Code - Section 192.031

Since the D's and the R's nominate by convention, and those parties have each had "a nominee for a statewide office who received a number of votes equal to at least five percent of the total number of votes received by all candidates for that office," Texas Election Code Section 181.005 applies....

§ 181.005. QUALIFYING FOR PLACEMENT ON BALLOT BY PARTY
REQUIRED TO NOMINATE BY CONVENTION. (a) To be entitled to have
the names of its nominees placed on the general election ballot, a
political party required to make nominations by convention must
file with the secretary of state, not later than the 75th day after
the date of the precinct conventions held under this chapter, lists
of precinct convention participants indicating that the number of
participants equals at least one percent of the total number of
votes received by all candidates for governor in the most recent
gubernatorial general election. The lists must include each
participant’s residence address and voter registration number.
(b)A political party is entitled to have the names of its
nominees placed on the ballot, without qualifying under Subsection
(a), in each subsequent general election following a general
election in which the party had a nominee for a statewide office who
received a number of votes equal to at least five percent of the
total number of votes received by all candidates for that office.

Grasping at straws.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2008 09:07 PM by niuhuskie84.)
08-27-2008 09:04 PM

http://campaign.blog.bobbarr2008.com/200...-is-clear/

Quote:This evening I received a response from the Texas Secretary of State’s office to my request for the certification papers of both John McCain and Barack Obama.

The certification deadline which passed at 5 p.m. on August 26th – before the nomination of Barack Obama and even before John McCain selected a running mate – was clearly missed by both major party candidates.

Our campaign manager, Russell Verney, transmitted a letter to the Secretary of State’s office this evening after we obtained the documents which you can view here.

In the letter, we made our stance clear:

The Democratic Party, and Mr. Obama and the Republican Party and Mr. McCain blatantly ignored the Texas statutory deadline.

Therefore, the Libertarian candidate for president, Bob Barr, as represented by his principal campaign committee, Bob Barr 2008, demands that your office keep the names of Barack Obama, Joe Biden, John McCain and Sarah Palin off the Texas general election ballot.

Failure of the Secretary of State to comply with Texas law will result in serious legal consequences.
09-05-2008 10:41 AM
Essency Offline
Special Teams

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:http://campaign.blog.bobbarr2008.com/200...-is-clear/

Quote:This evening I received a response from the Texas Secretary of State’s office to my request for the certification papers of both John McCain and Barack Obama.

The certification deadline which passed at 5 p.m. on August 26th – before the nomination of Barack Obama and even before John McCain selected a running mate – was clearly missed by both major party candidates.

Our campaign manager, Russell Verney, transmitted a letter to the Secretary of State’s office this evening after we obtained the documents which you can view here.

In the letter, we made our stance clear:

The Democratic Party, and Mr. Obama and the Republican Party and Mr. McCain blatantly ignored the Texas statutory deadline.

Therefore, the Libertarian candidate for president, Bob Barr, as represented by his principal campaign committee, Bob Barr 2008, demands that your office keep the names of Barack Obama, Joe Biden, John McCain and Sarah Palin off the Texas general election ballot.

Failure of the Secretary of State to comply with Texas law will result in serious legal consequences.

Thanks for the update, but I doubt anything will come of this. If it's true, the Dems & Reps will simply modify the rules to allow the candidates in. Or hell, why waste the time and energy.....they'll simply ignore Barr. What legal action can Barr really take and expect results? No one is going to buck the system.
09-05-2008 11:08 AM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
Quote:(b)A political party is entitled to have the names of its
nominees placed on the ballot, without qualifying under Subsection
(a), in each subsequent general election following a general
election in which the party had a nominee for a statewide office who
received a number of votes equal to at least five percent of the
total number of votes received by all candidates for that office.
Stolen from niuhuskie84

The deadline (Subsection a) doesn't matter for the Republicans & Democrats (unless the selection quoted is just for state elections). They each had candidates with over 5% of the vote in the last election cycle. Even if the quoted selection only applies to state elections, I'm willing to bet they have something similar for national elections. After all, it's the people in power who make the rules and they've done an outstanding job of crafting the regulations to benefit the two entrenched parties.

To further persue an issue where they are as wrong as they are on this is silly and, unfortunately, helps validate the claims that the two major parties make about those kookie Libertarians.

*** Edited to correct quote tags.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2008 12:48 PM by jh.)
09-05-2008 12:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.