Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Friday Night's Debate
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Friday Night's Debate
I figured we'd need the thread later... though I don't know why... apparently McCain already won it this morning. This is from WSJ.com on Friday at ~10:30 AM EDT:

[Image: 26Sep_Friday_WSJ.JPG]

oops.
09-26-2008 01:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

I Root For: Rice U

New Orleans BowlDonators
RE: Friday Night's Debate
I'm really looking forward to this debate. I'm glad McCain decided to participate after all.
09-26-2008 04:54 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I took two things away from this debate:

1. I don't want to live in any country that Barack Obama is the president of.
2. I don't want to live in any country that John McCain is the president of.
09-27-2008 06:51 AM
stompclapwhoosh Offline
Hometown Girl

I Root For: Owls & Red Sox!

Donators
I thought Obama came out narrowly ahead considering that foreign policy isn't his strength. Some of the storylines I thought I'd see this AM (for example, McCain all but admitting the US has tortured before by stating he'll keep us from doing it "again"), I haven't really seen.
09-27-2008 11:49 AM
Gravy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:I took two things away from this debate:

If we can survive 8 years of George W. Bush, then we can probably handle either of these guys.
09-27-2008 01:36 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Gravy Owl Wrote:
Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:I took two things away from this debate:

If we can survive 8 years of George W. Bush, then we can probably handle either of these guys.

Perhaps.

But why would I want to?

Why would anyone want to, for that matter?
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2008 06:35 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
09-27-2008 04:02 PM
ColOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice

New Orleans Bowl
RANDOM THOUGHTS POST-DEBATE

Since McCain claims his "maverick" status comes as a result of going against the grain of Bush and his fellow Republicans, yet he announced proudly during his campaign for the GOP nomination that he voted with Bush 90% of the time, that must make him 10% Maverick and 90%.....what?......Steer?

If a man can't look his competitor in the eye even once for more than 90 minutes, how can he claim the mantle of being the next great leader of a major bi-partisan effort to change the way America governs itself? Doesn't "bi-partisanship" imply that you actually have to talk to and give a little respect to the members of the other party, especially its leaders?

Wharah o wharah was Sarah o Sarah? (I heard she was performing her duties as the leader of the Alaska National Guard by maintaing a vigil with her trusty keeping the high-powered scope of her moose rifle focused on the Western horizon, making sure Putin wasn't rearing his head and violating our air space).
09-27-2008 05:42 PM
Gravy Owl Offline
Heisman

Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:But why would I want to?
Probably for whatever reason you didn't move to Brazil eight years ago.
09-27-2008 08:12 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Gravy Owl Wrote:

Actually, my personal situation is very different today than it was eight years ago. It wasn't an option for me eight years ago; it is now.

Am I better off than I was eight years ago? You betcha, way better off. Did Bush have anything to do with it? Nope. In fact, if it had not been for him, I would probably be even better off than I am.

I will say that I didn't feel the same need to move eight years ago. Bush had told me that he was going to reduce the size of the federal government and get us out of the nation-building business, and I was dumb enough to believe that he meant it. Nobody's even going to the trouble to tell me those lies this time.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2008 08:36 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
09-27-2008 08:17 PM
Advertisement

Gravy Owl Offline
Heisman

Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:It wasn't an option for me eight years ago; it is now.
Fair enough.
09-27-2008 08:25 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I am libertarian-centrist, fiscal conservative and social liberal. That puts me at odds with W on just about every issue.

My problem is that my thoughts about the causes of our current economic problems have not been addressed in any way, shape, or form by either major party candidate (or any of the minor candidates either, for that matter). Unless those problems are addressed, and quickly, I think America's best days are behind us. That being the case, I'd rather be somewhere else.
09-27-2008 08:42 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
ColOwl Wrote:RANDOM THOUGHTS POST-DEBATE

Since McCain claims his "maverick" status comes as a result of going against the grain of Bush and his fellow Republicans, yet he announced proudly during his campaign for the GOP nomination that he voted with Bush 90% of the time, that must make him 10% Maverick and 90%.....what?......Steer?

Sorry Col... but this is just plain wrong.

McCain NEVER said he voted with Bush 90% of the time. biden and Obama made that claim... which is factually inaccurate because Bush doesn't vote... he can only veto... and he only vetoed 1 bill I recall... so it means McCain was a part of passing most of the legislation... not that he sided with Bush.

I don't have the exact figure at my disposal, but McCain actually sided with the Democraic party iirc 55% of the time... mor often than with the Republicans... and Obama sided wih Republicans 13% of the time. I believe I saw that Biden "voted" with Bush more than 75% of the time as well...

I have no problem with people who don't like McCains policies, and certainly no problem with people who don't like Bush... butt this 90% number is plain nonsense.
09-28-2008 12:13 AM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:
Gravy Owl Wrote:

Actually, my personal situation is very different today than it was eight years ago. It wasn't an option for me eight years ago; it is now.

Am I better off than I was eight years ago? You betcha, way better off. Did Bush have anything to do with it? Nope. In fact, if it had not been for him, I would probably be even better off than I am.

I will say that I didn't feel the same need to move eight years ago. Bush had told me that he was going to reduce the size of the federal government and get us out of the nation-building business, and I was dumb enough to believe that he meant it. Nobody's even going to the trouble to tell me those lies this time.

I agree that W failed to deliver what he promised. IMO he stabbed me in the back. But Kerry and Algore were never real options.

I know it will never come out in the next 50 years, but I would really like to know how we blew it on Iraq and WMD Intelligence.

Was the CIA fed disinformation that we bought hook, line, and sinker?

Did the WMD's go out of Iraq along with the estimated $1 billion in US currency and end up in Syria? And how much of this money was used to fund the insurgency? I can't understand why Saddam didn't take his money and run before the war when he had the chance.

Or did the Iranians set us up AGAIN???
09-28-2008 01:27 AM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
WMD Owl Wrote:I know it will never come out in the next 50 years, but I would really like to know how we blew it on Iraq and WMD Intelligence.

Did the WMD's go out of Iraq along with the estimated $1 billion in US currency and end up in Syria? And how much of this money was used to fund the insurgency? I can't understand why Saddam didn't take his money and run before the war when he had the chance.

I don't know what's that hard to figure out at this point. The US/UN and Iraq combined to destroy most of the WMD stockpiles that Iraq had. Iraq destroyed some as part of it's impertinence toward the inspection regime. Sadaam maintained ambiguity about whether or not he had WMD in order to control his population and his neighbors due to fear. He continued to be defiant toward the US/UN long after it made sense to most westerners because it would be a fatal sign of weakness for him to acquiesce. Given that any Iraqi that helped US intelligence would wind up dead along with the rest of their families, it's not hard to see how most intelligence agencies didn't have accurate information.

As for why the US used WMD as the sole justification for war, that's something that's much more complex. The short answer is that Baghdad was the shortest route home from Saudi Arabia, but it's more difficult to explain why that was never really discussed publicly.
09-28-2008 04:46 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I45owl Wrote:
WMD Owl Wrote:I know it will never come out in the next 50 years, but I would really like to know how we blew it on Iraq and WMD Intelligence.
I don't know what's that hard to figure out at this point. The US/UN and Iraq combined to destroy most of the WMD stockpiles that Iraq had. Iraq destroyed some as part of it's impertinence toward the inspection regime. Sadaam maintained ambiguity about whether or not he had WMD in order to control his population and his neighbors due to fear. He continued to be defiant toward the US/UN long after it made sense to most westerners because it would be a fatal sign of weakness for him to acquiesce. Given that any Iraqi that helped US intelligence would wind up dead along with the rest of their families, it's not hard to see how most intelligence agencies didn't have accurate information.
As for why the US used WMD as the sole justification for war, that's something that's much more complex. The short answer is that Baghdad was the shortest route home from Saudi Arabia, but it's more difficult to explain why that was never really discussed publicly.

First, I do not like the term WMD. Nuclear weapons are truly weapons of mass destruction. Biological and chemical weapons are scary, but they do not cause mass destruction. I think the WMD term was coined to create fear that could be used to generate support for certain actions. I prefer the older terminology, NBC (nuclear biological chemical) and will continue to use it.

Second, NBC weapons were never the sole justification for war. There was a long laundry list of justifications. The NBC justification may have resonated more than others, and for that reason gotten more political play, but it was never the sole justification. The first time I heard that fiction was from a news commentator a few days after the invasion. My thought at the time was, "That's not right. Someone from the Bush administration needs to get high behind setting that straight ASAP." But they never did. Either (1) they were so convinced that we would find NBC weapons that they didn't see a problem, or (2) they were too stupid to see the problem, or (3) they figured the American people were too stupid to figure out the problem. If there's another explanation I'd like to hear it, but clearly none of those reflects highly on the Bush administration.

Third, I think much of the intelligence we acted on was not our own. I think we were fed a lot by Israel, and this is a big reason why, in the aftermath, we've had a difficult time backing things up with hard intelligence. We never had the hard intel, just the Israeli analysis and interpretations. I think what was building up was something like what is now happening with Iran, with Israel threatening preemptive action to take out whatever they believed Saddam had. I think Bush or somebody in the administration got spooked by the possibilities and jumped the gun before we had finished things in Afghanistan. I think we'd have been better served to wait out things a bit longer and finish up in Afghanistan first. For one thing, we see how slowly the Iran situation is playing out. Iraq may have played out a bit more quickly, given that Saddam had demonstrated the ability durin the previous Gulf War to deliver scuds into Israel. For another thing, I'm not convinced that, even if Israel had acted, it would have been a bad thing. It would have meant that someone other than us was controlling the action, and if there's one thing a neocon can't stand, it's not being in control.

Fourth, I do believe that Saddam had some kind of NBC program ongoing and that he moved it out before we got there, but not to Syria. We did not find weapons in Iraq, but just as importantly we have never found evidence of destruction of significant numbers of NBC weapons. It would have been hard to destroy an inventory the size that Saddam is generally believed to have possessed without leaving much more of a trail than we have found. Earlier destructions by Saddam and the US/UN were minimal amounts that could easily have been arranged by Saddam as cover for what was actually going on. What circumstantial evidence we have found is more consistent with an ongoing program that was picked up and moved in a hurry than witn a program that was destroyed. I believe the weapons went to North Korea and were incorporated into their program. I believe this primarily because there are a number of contemporaneous and subsequent events that are consistent with that theory, but hard to explain otherwise.

What would I have done differently?
1. Going back at least to the Clinton administration, and IIRC to post-war GHWB, Saddam was clearly playing games with the inspectors. They would say, "We want to inspect locations A, B, C, and D." Saddam would reply, "You can visit A, B, and C, but not D." As long as you let that go, the inspections are meaningless. What you do is you inspect A, B, and C, and you vaporize D. At least as long as the no-fly zone was in effect, that should have been easy to do. Do that a few times, Saddam gets the message, the inspections become meaningful, and you avoid a lot that has followed.
2. In our fascination with satellites and electronic surveillance, we've let a lot of our human intelligence wither away. Without the ability to back up data with informers, we are much more vulnerable to bad intel. We need to get back into the humint business in a much bigger way.
3. In 2003 I would have told Israel to hold their horses until we got through with bin Laden and Afghanistan, and I'd have done all that I could to make that stick. If Israel had insisted on acting anyway, I'd have let them. If Israel had acted with respect to Iraq, I think there's a fair possibility that Iran would be less of a problem today. Certainly, by neutralizing Iran's two biggest enemies, we've freed them up to focus on the things that are now becoming problems.
09-28-2008 07:31 AM
ColOwl Offline
All American

New Orleans Bowl
Hambone10 Wrote:
ColOwl Wrote:RANDOM THOUGHTS POST-DEBATE

Sorry Col... but this is just plain wrong.

McCain NEVER said he voted with Bush 90% of the time. biden and Obama made that claim... which is factually inaccurate because Bush doesn't vote... he can only veto... and he only vetoed 1 bill I recall... so it means McCain was a part of passing most of the legislation... not that he sided with Bush.

I don't have the exact figure at my disposal, but McCain actually sided with the Democraic party iirc 55% of the time... mor often than with the Republicans... and Obama sided wih Republicans 13% of the time. I believe I saw that Biden "voted" with Bush more than 75% of the time as well...

I have no problem with people who don't like McCains policies, and certainly no problem with people who don't like Bush... butt this 90% number is plain nonsense.
If it's wrong, it's not my doing, it's McCain's. I have seen several times a video clip taken during the Republican primaries of McCain proudly boasting to the Republican conservative faithful that feared him because of his reputation of being a "maverick" that he had supported Bush over 90% of the time. So was McCain stretching it then or is he stretching it now?
09-28-2008 11:27 AM
JOwl Offline
sum guy

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl

My guess: The threat of WMD's were not the administration's compulsion for invading Iraq, but simply a justification. The admin wanted to be there to secure our oil interests and power in the region, and focused on WMD's to make the case. It's the same reason the admin suggested links between Hussein and 9/11, and never made any attempt to correct the public's misunderstandings despite the fact that in 2003, 70% of Americans believed Hussein was directly involved in the 9/11 attacks.

As a result, the admin made up their minds and chose to focus on the intelligence that told them what they wanted to hear. Hard to say whether they actually ended up believing it or not.
09-28-2008 11:34 AM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:Third, I think much of the intelligence we acted on was not our own. I think we were fed a lot by Israel, and this is a big reason why, in the aftermath, we've had a difficult time backing things up with hard intelligence. We never had the hard intel, just the Israeli analysis and interpretations. I think what was building up was something like what is now happening with Iran, with Israel threatening preemptive action to take out whatever they believed Saddam had. I think Bush or somebody in the administration got spooked by the possibilities and jumped the gun before we had finished things in Afghanistan. I think we'd have been better served to wait out things a bit longer and finish up in Afghanistan first. For one thing, we see how slowly the Iran situation is playing out. Iraq may have played out a bit more quickly, given that Saddam had demonstrated the ability durin the previous Gulf War to deliver scuds into Israel. For another thing, I'm not convinced that, even if Israel had acted, it would have been a bad thing. It would have meant that someone other than us was controlling the action, and if there's one thing a neocon can't stand, it's not being in control.

After having inspectors/CIA in Iraq for eight years or so, and knowing what the country was like, I don't think the US would view Israeli, British, or other intelligence (Saudi?) as superior to our own. It helped in using WMD/NBC as a justification that most world intelligence agencies held the same opinions, but I don't think that we would overly rely on one source. Frankly, if the goal was to contain Iraq and keep it weak, an ongoing, low-level NBC program would serve the US interests.

JOwl Wrote:My guess: The threat of WMD's were not the administration's compulsion for invading Iraq, but simply a justification. The admin wanted to be there to secure our oil interests and power in the region, and focused on WMD's to make the case. It's the same reason the admin suggested links between Hussein and 9/11, and never made any attempt to correct the public's misunderstandings despite the fact that in 2003, 70% of Americans believed Hussein was directly involved in the 9/11 attacks.

As a result, the admin made up their minds and chose to focus on the intelligence that told them what they wanted to hear. Hard to say whether they actually ended up believing it or not.

I agree with the first part of your assessment, but the purpose of the war in Iraq was almost certainly not to secure oil supplies. This really was about international terrorism and containing al Qaeda, granting that they were in no way controlled by Iraq. But, all of al Qaeda's growth was fueled by events in Iraq beginning in 1990 - the failure of the US to decisively destroy Iraq - US troop presence in Saudi Arabia - propaganda about the US and sanctions being responsible for the deaths 1.5 million Iraqi children - Blatant Iraqi defiance of US inspection regimes - US attacks against Iraq followed by al Qaeda terrorist attacks that then provoked little or no response by the US. After 9/11, if the US again backed down against Iraq, that would've provided a tremendous recruiting benefit for al Qaeda, and would've cemented the Islamist view of the US as a paper tiger.

On top of all of that, the US and Saudis were engaged in a political battle to get the Saudis to take action on al Qaeda financing and to get them to commit political capital in fighting al Qaeda. Apparently, the Saudis told the US to get out of the Kingdom in 2002 (source is George Friedman's book "America's Secret War" ... Friedman of stratfor.com), and that meant the US either had to back down against Iraq with its tail between its legs for good, or leave Iraq through the north. Until listening to the audiobook version of that book, it never made sense to me that the administration put so much emphasis on NBC weapons. However, Friedman made the case that the US could not publicly say that they were going to war with Iraq because of the Saudis, which makes sense to me.

Regarding the public justifications, it is true that NBC was not the sole justification - there were many cases made. The justification in the US was dramatically different than the case that Tony Blair made, mostly due to the Parliamentary structure of their government, and the fact that the US has ceded so much power to the President through the War Powers Act - one side effect of which is that the President does not need to make a clearcut case for war, but just needs to make enough of a case to influence public opinion (making it more like a political campaign where a multi-faceted case can each appeal to different constituencies enough to gain a majority).
09-28-2008 03:02 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I45owl Wrote:
Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:Third, I think much of the intelligence we acted on was not our own. I think we were fed a lot by Israel, and this is a big reason why, in the aftermath, we've had a difficult time backing things up with hard intelligence. We never had the hard intel, just the Israeli analysis and interpretations. I think what was building up was something like what is now happening with Iran, with Israel threatening preemptive action to take out whatever they believed Saddam had. I think Bush or somebody in the administration got spooked by the possibilities and jumped the gun before we had finished things in Afghanistan. I think we'd have been better served to wait out things a bit longer and finish up in Afghanistan first. For one thing, we see how slowly the Iran situation is playing out. Iraq may have played out a bit more quickly, given that Saddam had demonstrated the ability durin the previous Gulf War to deliver scuds into Israel. For another thing, I'm not convinced that, even if Israel had acted, it would have been a bad thing. It would have meant that someone other than us was controlling the action, and if there's one thing a neocon can't stand, it's not being in control.

After having inspectors/CIA in Iraq for eight years or so, and knowing what the country was like, I don't think the US would view Israeli, British, or other intelligence (Saudi?) as superior to our own. It helped in using WMD/NBC as a justification that most world intelligence agencies held the same opinions, but I don't think that we would overly rely on one source. Frankly, if the goal was to contain Iraq and keep it weak, an ongoing, low-level NBC program would serve the US interests.

You miss my point a bit. I'm not saying that we relied on Israeli intel. I'm saying we responed to a belief that they would take certain actions based upon their intel.

As for British or Israeli or Saudi intel, I would certainly not be surprised to find that they had better intel than ours in that time frame in that location. Given the extent to which we had abandoned human intelligence in favor of technology, they almost certainly had better humint operations than we did. Humint is tough to evaluate becasue it's hard to know whether your guy is telling the truth or lying. That's why you need a lot of it, so you can cross check stories, or else it probably does more harm than good. I don't know whether we believed the Brits or Israelis or Saudis had better intel than we did, but we certainly would have believed that at the end of the day each would have acted based upon their own intel.

I never put much stock in the weapons inspectors, because of the scenario I outlined in the prior post. We let the rules get established up front (on GHWB's watch) that Saddam controlled access for them. In my A, B, C, D example, all the inspectors could ever tell us was what's at A, B, and C, nothing about what's at D. Saddam could have had a huge cache if it were configured sufficiently mobile to be moved from today's point D to whatever location was excluded tomorrow. We simply should have made it clear to Saddam up front that the inspectors were going to have unfettered access, and been prepared to vaporize any place that he refused to allow immediate access. That's clearly on GHWB and not Clinton or W, although I presume each would have bear some responsibility for continuing the practices of his predecessor.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2008 04:48 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
09-28-2008 04:47 PM
Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

I Root For: Rice U

New Orleans BowlDonators
Whenever I see WMD, I think "water management district." Gotta watch out for those! Very deadly!
09-28-2008 05:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.