Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Peaceful" Islam" Riots 'kill hundreds in Nigeria
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
"Peaceful" Islam" Riots 'kill hundreds in Nigeria
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7756695.stm

All would be fine if Sharia Law could be installed. Muslims must get their way ..... or else.

Quote:Riots 'kill hundreds in Nigeria'

Hundreds of people are reported to have been killed in central Nigeria after Christians and Muslims clashed over the result of a local election.

A Muslim charity in the town of Jos says it collected more than 300 bodies, and fatalities are also expected among Christians.

There is no official confirmation yet, and figures are notoriously unreliable in Nigeria, says the BBC's Alex Last.

Police have imposed a 24-hour curfew and the army is patrolling the streets.

They have been given orders to shoot on sight in an effort to quell hostilities that mark the worst clashes in the restive West African nation since 2004.

For the second straight day on Saturday, angry mobs went through the town burning homes, churches and mosques.

The Nigerian Red Cross says at least 10,000 people have fled their homes.

Contested election

The mostly Christian-backed governing party, the People's Democratic Party, was declared to have won the state elections in Plateau state, of which Jos is the capital city.

The result was contested by the opposition All Nigeria People's Party, which has support from Muslims.

Violence started on Thursday night as groups of angry youths burnt tyres on the roads over reports of election rigging.

Bodies from the Muslim Hausa community were brought into the central mosque compound.

The local imam, Sheikh Khalid Abubakar, said more than 300 dead bodies were brought there on Saturday alone.

Those killed in the Christian community would probably be taken to the city morgue, raising the possibility that the total death toll could be much higher.

Police spokesman Bala Kassim said there were "many dead," but couldn't cite a firm number.

Despite the overnight curfew, groups in some areas took to the streets again as soon as police patrols had passed by.

Troubled past

In 2001, more than 1,000 people died in religious clashes in the city, situated in Nigeria's fertile "middle belt" that separates the Muslim north from the predominantly Christian south.

And in 2004, a state of emergency was declared in Plateau state after more than 200 Muslims were killed in the town of Yelwa in attacks by Christian militia.

Correspondents say communal violence in Nigeria is complex, but it often boils down to competition for resources such as land between those that see themselves as indigenous versus the more recent settlers.

In Plateau, Christians are regarded as being indigenous and Hausa-speaking Muslims the settlers.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2008 04:56 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
11-29-2008 04:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
RE: "Peaceful" Islam" Riots 'kill hundreds in Nigeria
Islam is going to be the biggest problem for the world in the 21st century, but not in the way you might think. Radical islam will never conquer anything. I just worry about the responses it will evoke in Asia, Europe, and the U.S. I see the "civilized" world getting so fed up with Islam they institute major abusive reforms such as outlawing the religion and maybe even putting people in concentration camps (think manzanar, not death camps). Europe had a referendum this year to outlaw the construction of new mosques. If things got out of control, I could see the world engaging in ethnic cleansing against them.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2008 05:09 PM by Jugnaut.)
11-29-2008 05:08 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
I don't know why the peaceful observers of Islam are so easily coaxed into violence every time they feel the slightest bit offended. The more extreme clerics need to be tamed or banished and any foreign born clerics who incite riots in this or any other country should be jailed and deported afterwards. At the rate they're growing and spreading we better do something soon before we end up like Europe.

"Peaceful Islam" my ass.
11-29-2008 09:34 PM
Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only

NOW GUYZ !!!!!!!!

We MUST be more Tolerant and Understanding of these people so they will see the Error of their Ways and turn from Violence.

They just need some good old Cajun Gumbo and Corn Bread and then they would all see the light.

03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao

11-29-2008 09:59 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
SumOfAllFears Wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7756695.stm
Troubled past

In 2001, more than 1,000 people died in religious clashes in the city, situated in Nigeria's fertile "middle belt" that separates the Muslim north from the predominantly Christian south.

And in 2004, a state of emergency was declared in Plateau state after more than 200 Muslims were killed in the town of Yelwa in attacks by Christian militia.

Correspondents say communal violence in Nigeria is complex, but it often boils down to competition for resources such as land between those that see themselves as indigenous versus the more recent settlers.

In Plateau, Christians are regarded as being indigenous and Hausa-speaking Muslims the settlers.
The problem is cultural, not just religious. Until people on both sides realize that killing each other is not an appropriate response to disputes, the violence will continue.
11-30-2008 10:54 AM
Tripster Offline

JH - - that is not correct.

The "Attacks are by Muslims against Christians" and have been ongoing for a long time now.

Their Mandate by Fatwa, is to Destroy all Non-Muslim Places and Symbols of Worship.

It 'is' a Religious Mandate from the Muslims Point of View and they state this very clearly - - this is happening in Indonesia and all over Southeast Asia as well as in the Ukraine.

This is about Sharia Control and the Cleansing of the Infidel Christian and other Non-Muslim Abiding People(s).

11-30-2008 03:46 PM
Advertisement

jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
Tripster Wrote:.

JH - - that is not correct.

The "Attacks are by Muslims against Christians" and have been ongoing for a long time now.
I knew I quoted too big a section. Let me try again.
Quote:And in 2004, a state of emergency was declared in Plateau state after more than 200 Muslims were killed in the town of Yelwa in attacks by Christian militia.
These would be attacks by Christians against Muslims.
Quote:Correspondents say communal violence in Nigeria is complex, but it often boils down to competition for resources such as land between those that see themselves as indigenous versus the more recent settlers.
That would be cultural.
11-30-2008 03:56 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
jh Wrote:
Quote:And in 2004, a state of emergency was declared in Plateau state after more than 200 Muslims were killed in the town of Yelwa in attacks by Christian militia.
These would be attacks by Christians against Muslims.

The Christians can't respond?
11-30-2008 04:23 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

Hey Paul.... Christians must turn the other cheek. LOL04-jawdrop

Perhaps it's the Muslims sworn duty to install Sharia at the root of the violence. As in Israel, Arabs know how to play the victims as the bad guys. Many lawyers are accustomed to that tactic.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2008 04:46 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
11-30-2008 04:42 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
SumOfAllFears Wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7756695.stm

All would be fine if Sharia Law could be installed. Muslims must get their way ..... or else.

Hundreds of people are reported to have been killed in central Nigeria after Christians and Muslims clashed over the result of a local election.

A Muslim charity in the town of Jos says it collected more than 300 bodies, and fatalities are also expected among Christians.

There is no official confirmation yet, and figures are notoriously unreliable in Nigeria, says the BBC's Alex Last.

Police have imposed a 24-hour curfew and the army is patrolling the streets.

They have been given orders to shoot on sight in an effort to quell hostilities that mark the worst clashes in the restive West African nation since 2004.

For the second straight day on Saturday, angry mobs went through the town burning homes, churches and mosques.

The Nigerian Red Cross says at least 10,000 people have fled their homes.

Contested election

The mostly Christian-backed governing party, the People's Democratic Party, was declared to have won the state elections in Plateau state, of which Jos is the capital city.

The result was contested by the opposition All Nigeria People's Party, which has support from Muslims.

Violence started on Thursday night as groups of angry youths burnt tyres on the roads over reports of election rigging.

Bodies from the Muslim Hausa community were brought into the central mosque compound.

The local imam, Sheikh Khalid Abubakar, said more than 300 dead bodies were brought there on Saturday alone.

Those killed in the Christian community would probably be taken to the city morgue, raising the possibility that the total death toll could be much higher.

Police spokesman Bala Kassim said there were "many dead," but couldn't cite a firm number.

Despite the overnight curfew, groups in some areas took to the streets again as soon as police patrols had passed by.

Troubled past

03-yawn Let me guess. You think all blacks are criminals and hispanics are here illegally too. Hate. It is the Republican way. That should be the new republican slogan. "We hate everyone but white Christians". 03-lmfao
11-30-2008 04:45 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

Where did that come from?

Quote:Let me guess. You think all blacks are criminals and hispanics are here illegally too. Hate. It is the Republican way. That should be the new republican slogan. "We hate everyone but white Christians".

Quote:“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” Osama bin Laden

maybe you have forgotten
11-30-2008 04:53 PM
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

Naw, he hasn't forgot. He just ignores inconveniant truths.
11-30-2008 05:01 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
http://www.irinnews.org/report.aspx?reportid=51641
Quote:A committee appointed by the Plateau State government investigated the period between 7 September 2001 -- when a week of bloodletting in the state capital Jos left more than 1,000 dead -- to 18 May 2004, when President Olusegun Obasanjo declared emergency rule in the state following the massacre of hundreds of Muslims in the town of Yelwa by a Christian militia...

The violence in Plateau state between indigenous farmers, who were mostly Christian, and traders and livestock herders with origins in northern Nigeria, who were predominantly Muslim, was essentially over land.

But the feud was also fuelled by religious suspicions deepened by the introduction of strict Islamic Sharia’h law in 12 northern states over the past four years. This move was perceived by many Christians as a move by Muslims to achieve religious hegemony.

And what started off all this violence? As usual, something stupid.
http://www.voanews.com/english/archive/2...Troops.cfm
Quote:Witnesses say the violence was touched off on Friday when a Christian woman went through a traffic barricade that had been set up around the city's main mosque. Bands of Christian and Muslim youths attacked one another using guns, clubs and machetes. A number of buildings were set on fire, including two churches and a mosque.

And no, PaulM, wanton slaughter of men, women, and children is never appropriate.
11-30-2008 05:09 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

jh Wrote:
Quote:

But the feud was also fuelled by religious suspicions deepened by the introduction of strict Islamic Sharia’h law in 12 northern states over the past four years. This move was perceived by many Christians as a move by Muslims to achieve religious hegemony.

Quote:Witnesses say the violence was touched off on Friday when a Christian woman went through a traffic barricade that had been set up around the city's main mosque.

And no, PaulM, wanton slaughter of men, women, and children is never appropriate.
We are in 100% agreement on the wanton slaughter, and I wasn't there so I can't speak for the facts, but according to your source, it sounds like outsiders setting up Shiria law and telling locals they can no longer walk down streets in there own country. Seems to me something to respond to as per my acual question.
11-30-2008 05:34 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
Paul M Wrote:
jh Wrote:
Quote:

Quote:Witnesses say the violence was touched off on Friday when a Christian woman went through a traffic barricade that had been set up around the city's main mosque.

We are in 100% agreement on the wanton slaughter, and I wasn't there so I can't speak for the facts, but according to your source, it sounds like outsiders setting up Shiria law and telling locals they can no longer walk down streets in there own country. Seems to me something to respond to as per my acual question.
I'm no expert on Nigeria, but the way I read it they are all Nigerians. I have no idea who set up the barricade (or why), or why the woman chose to go through it, but it's a ridiculously stupid thing for some 58,000 people to be killed over. And the massacre at Yelwa was almost three years later. Until both sides get rid of that type of mentality (along with the belief that locals are better than newcomers, even to the point of legal restrictions), it will be difficult for progress to be made.
11-30-2008 05:46 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

jh Wrote:
Quote:I'm no expert on Nigeria, but the way I read it they are all Nigerians. I have no idea who set up the barricade (or why), or why the woman chose to go through it, but it's a ridiculously stupid thing for some 58,000 people to be killed over. And the massacre at Yelwa was almost three years later. Until both sides get rid of that type of mentality (along with the belief that locals are better than newcomers, even to the point of legal restrictions), it will be difficult for progress to be made.

I was going by this.

Quote:In Plateau, Christians are regarded as being indigenous and Hausa-speaking Muslims the settlers.

and this

Quote:The mostly Christian-backed governing party, the People's Democratic Party, was declared to have won the state elections in Plateau state, of which Jos is the capital city.

Again, sounds like settlers moving in and trying to impose Sharia law on a government and people who don't appreciate it. Let me say it this way. If Muslims try to impose their law on me, in my country, someone will have to die. Their rules, not mine. I'm a live and let live guy, but if they say convert or die, well....
11-30-2008 06:12 PM
Advertisement

Tripster Offline

JH - - I am not going to trade hits with you on this man ...

This foolishness started over 3 Decades ago as an out and out attack on ANYTHING not Muslim and Christian Churches and Jewish Synagogues and Buddhist Temples and Statues, and Hindu Idols and all the other VooDoo and Black Magic stuff were Targeted.

The REASON the Muslim against Christian things stands so far out in the crowd, is simply the Percentages of Christians in the world that have built Churches and Places of Worship, that are NOW Targets of the Radical Jihadi Sharia Fundamentalist Muslims.

Geeze-us man .... it ain't that hard of a thing to grasp.

And like Paul said, if YOU DON'T WANT YOUR ASS WHIPPED, DON'T COME INTO MY HOUSE WANTING TO WHIP MINE ..... law of the jungle, law of the streets, law of survival .... the only Cheek I am going to turn is the One that has the Gun Resting on it !!!!!

This is and was and will be a Muslims against Non-Muslim Cleansing Party and it will not stop until one of the groups is driven out or put down ...

Commons Sense, which I thought you had JH, should tell you that when you have Fundamentalist Muslims trying to Remove about as many Christians in number, from their Country, you are going to get a war and get slapped back. Where are you trying to come from here JH ???

RobertN - - stop bashing others about being Racist and Bigots when you Loath the Jews and make it well known that you do dislike them very much .... you are "The Pot Calling the Kettle Black" .... stay on target man.

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2008 07:18 PM by Tripster.)
11-30-2008 07:17 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
http://www.internal-displacement.org/idm...enDocument
Quote:Muslim Fulani cattle herders and Christian Tarok farmers have been clashing in central Nigeria for more than two months
They are fighting mainly over land and cattle. Thousands of people are reported to have fled the fighting.”

Apparently settlers doesn't mean the same thing to them that it does to you and me.
http://www.migrationforcee.org/textOnlyC.../23/21.htm
Quote:Perhaps the most significant cause of communal violence in Nigeria is the entrenched division throughout the country between people considered indigenous to an area and those regarded as settlers. Settlers may have lived in an area for centuries but are, nevertheless, discriminated against and denied equal access to land, commercial opportunities, employment and education...

Many people believe that conflicts are created and fanned by scheming politicians, particularly elites of the former military regime, who rely on the huge pools of destitute and frustrated youths to create social division. When violence erupts, it quickly spreads and takes on a momentum of its own.
It's a much bigger problem than a simple religious conflict.
11-30-2008 07:50 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
SumOfAllFears Wrote:Where did that come from?

Quote:Let me guess. You think all blacks are criminals and hispanics are here illegally too. Hate. It is the Republican way. That should be the new republican slogan. "We hate everyone but white Christians".

Quote:“We love death. The US loves life. That is the difference between us two.” Osama bin Laden

maybe you have forgotten
THe first part came from understanding the hate you have for an entire people without understanding that not all people are bad. As for the second part, well, he didn't meet G W Bush and his rightwing Neo Con thugs who are/were all about war and killing. Normally, we do love life as a nation. OBL also said one of his goals is to bankrupt our country. I think GWB is doing a superb job of playing right into OBL's hands.
11-30-2008 08:26 PM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
RobertN Wrote:THe first part came from understanding the hate you have for an entire people without understanding that not all people are bad.

Says the man that hates jews completely. Pot, meet kettle.

Quote:As for the second part, well, he didn't meet G W Bush and his rightwing Neo Con thugs who are/were all about war and killing. Normally, we do love life as a nation. OBL also said one of his goals is to bankrupt our country. I think GWB is doing a superb job of playing right into OBL's hands.

You're just mad because they made war and killed your brethern Robert Al-N.

You chastising someone about hate is beyond the boundries of total hypocricy. You who despise jews and republicans with a hatred that is so evident it's palpable.01-wingedeagle
11-30-2008 08:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.