Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ball State backbone questioned
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Ball State backbone questioned
Quote:Ball State backbone questioned

By Jason King, Yahoo! Sports Dec 4, 9:27 am EST

A few days after Ball State finished the regular season with a 12-0 record, folks around the Mid-American Conference began referring to the Cardinals as one of the best teams in league history.

Hogwash.

Elite programs don’t cower in corners when faced with a challenge, which is exactly what Ball State did Wednesday when it declined an invitation to play Boise State in the Humanitarian Bowl.

The game would’ve been one of most intriguing matchups of the postseason. Both 12-0, the Broncos and Cardinals are the only two undefeated teams in college football that won’t be playing in a BCS Bowl.

Yes, the Humanitarian Bowl is played on the Broncos’ home field in Boise, but that shouldn’t matter. The stadium would’ve been packed, television ratings would’ve been huge. Win or lose, the Cardinals would’ve received a level of exposure their program has never known.

Unfortunately, though, the game will never happen.

The Cardinals were too scared. ..............................................MORE
12-05-2008 09:59 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
RE: Ball State backbone questioned
Why wouldn't Boise State go play on a neutral field rather than their home field?
12-05-2008 10:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
mlb Wrote:Why wouldn't Boise State go play on a neutral field rather than their home field?

Why does it matter? I thought Ball State wanted some cred? You think a team like the Gators or Texas would back out of playing USC at the Rose Bowl?
12-05-2008 10:11 AM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
If I were either BSU, I wouldn't want to play the other. There's a statement to be made here.

If they play each other, its like we're saying the winner is the champion of the Non-BCS. If they don't play each other, they can both be undefeated and make a statement to the nation that a playoff needs to happen.

And they shouldn't go to Boise to play Boise after an undefeated season. That's ridiculous! If you have an undefeated season you deserve to play a team NOT at their home, NOT in the situation they're in.

Fight the good fight Ball St. Fighting Cardinals Fighting Football Team.
12-05-2008 11:02 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
You're assuming Ball State will win over NC State?

They played 2 ranked teams and lost. They had a QB change and beat two ranked teams, among the 4 they defeated in late season.
12-05-2008 11:08 AM
UT Ceng Owl Offline
Orange Eyed Owl

I Root For: Rice
Rebel Wrote:
mlb Wrote:Why wouldn't Boise State go play on a neutral field rather than their home field?

Why does it matter? I thought Ball State wanted some cred? You think a team like the Gators or Texas would back out of playing USC at the Rose Bowl?

I bet they'd be pretty pissed if USC made the grass cardinal and the endzones gold. Boise has a nuts home field advantage.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2008 11:11 AM by UT Ceng Owl.)
12-05-2008 11:10 AM
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
UT Ceng Owl Wrote:
Rebel Wrote:

I bet they'd be pretty pissed if USC made the grass cardinal and the endzones gold. Boise has a nuts home field advantage.

Well, to be honest, I don't see how the blue field is allowed to begin with.
12-05-2008 11:15 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
The Rose Bowl is not USC's home field. Also, Ball State does not have the fan support of Texas or Florida, so you'd have several thousand (at most) Ball State fans there to 40,000 Boise State fans. The Rose Bowl would be close to 50/50 thanks to the fan support of Texas and Florida and their ability to get fans to go to games far away.

Also, if the payout were that of the Rose Bowl then I think Ball State would be interested in playing the game. Instead it is a low payout for a low level bowl on the other team's home field with a decided crowd advantage for them.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2008 11:28 AM by mlb.)
12-05-2008 11:27 AM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Rebel Wrote:You're assuming Ball State will win over NC State?

And you're assuming an NCState ACC team would win because they're playing a Ball St. team from the MAC.
12-05-2008 12:16 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Would Florida play the SEC Championship game on Alabama's home field?

Or take the reverse position, would Alabama play Florida in the Swamp for the SEC title?

Why would Ball State want to go to Boise to play Boise? It doesn't help Ball State. It only gives Boise a lot of interest in a game played on THEIR home turf, which will be a big finacial help to Boise, and not so much for Ball State.
12-05-2008 12:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
niusfactuary Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU,Cubs,Bears

DonatorsSurvivor Runner-up
Props to Ball State, they made the right call on this one.
12-05-2008 02:56 PM
Advertisement

Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I dont know why Rebel Kev is so obsessed with Ball State, is it because they would beat the tar out of ole miss?
12-05-2008 08:45 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
It'd serve them right if they lost to Buffalo tonight
12-05-2008 08:53 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Fans in the non-BCS conferences should be weary of undefeated teams. If they get embarrised and blown out it damages their reputations and hurts the argument for a completely inclusive playoff.

If Ball State loses to Buffalo, that's very damning evidence given the following:

Buffalo 16 - Pittsburgh 27
Buffalo 21 - Missouri 42

It's not like Ball State has lit up their crappy OOC competition:
Ball State 23 - Navy 35 ... Navy is 7-4 ... but lost to Duke.
Ball State 42 - Indiana 20 ... Indiana is 3-9 (1-7)
Ball State 24 - Western Kentucky 7 ... WKU is 2-9
12-05-2008 09:35 PM
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil
georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:Ball State 23 - Navy 35 ... Navy is 7-4 ... but lost to Duke.

hey, there is no reason to insult us for winning!
12-05-2008 10:25 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Terpy Wrote:I dont know why Rebel Kev is so obsessed with Ball State, is it because they would beat the tar out of ole miss?

You're smoking some SERIOUS crack. SERIOUS!

Ole Miss would wax Ball States ass. Wax it and frame it.

We've lost our 4 games by a combined total of 19 points. ....and that includes the #1 team in the country. We beat the #4. UGA has lost their 3 by 53 points.
12-05-2008 10:38 PM
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:Fans in the non-BCS conferences should be weary of undefeated teams. If they get embarrised and blown out it damages their reputations and hurts the argument for a completely inclusive playoff.

If Ball State loses to Buffalo, that's very damning evidence given the following:

Buffalo 16 - Pittsburgh 27
Buffalo 21 - Missouri 42

It's not like Ball State has lit up their crappy OOC competition:
Ball State 23 - Navy 35 ... Navy is 7-4 ... but lost to Duke.
Ball State 42 - Indiana 20 ... Indiana is 3-9 (1-7)
Ball State 24 - Western Kentucky 7 ... WKU is 2-9

Actually, it means those non-BCS schools are going to have to do what Florida State did before they were in the ACC and what USM USED to do, I.e. schedule a tough OOC. USM was ranked about 15 in the 90's before they joined C-USA. Now?
12-05-2008 10:41 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
BTW Terp, the reason why I'm hard on Ball State is because they should NOT be ranked where they are.

Oh, and if they were to play OU, UT, UF, or UA? It would look like GT-Cumberland over 100 years ago.
12-05-2008 10:44 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Well so much for that hoopla. Ball State gets waxed by the Beefs tonight in the MAC championship game.
12-05-2008 11:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
ETSUfan1 Wrote:Well so much for that hoopla. Ball State gets waxed by the Beefs tonight in the MAC championship game.

Should they still be ranked?

IMO, there's no way in HELL they should have been ranked #12. Unlike Boise State and Utah, they schedule NO tough teams.

BTW, Kudos to one of the next BCS coaches, Turner Gill. I'd love to see him at MSU.....even though I f'n can't stand MSU. I do, however, want them to do well because they're SEC brothers.
12-05-2008 11:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.