Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UN gives OK to land, air attacks on Somali pirates
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
UN gives OK to land, air attacks on Somali pirates
Quote:On the same day Somali gunmen seized two more ships, the U.N. Security Council voted unanimously Tuesday to authorize nations to conduct land and air attacks on pirate bases on the coast of the Horn of Africa country.

The council authorized nations to use "all necessary measures that are appropriate in Somalia" to stop anyone using Somali territory to plan or carry out piracy in the nearby waters traversed each year by thousands of cargo ships sailing between Asia and the Suez Canal.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/arti...wD9543HV00

The UN stopped finally stopped being the worthless pile of crap it is and starting doing something about this stupidity. Time to start kicking ass and taking names.
12-16-2008 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tripster Offline
Most Dangerous Man on a Keyboard

I Root For: The Best Only
RE: UN gives OK to land, air attacks on Somali pirates

Finally !!!!!!!!!!

12-16-2008 08:45 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Maybe the shipping companies should just say FU to the regulations and have the damn balls to arm their ships for protection....No...That would require that they actually decided operate in a free market and not seek protection from governments using the extraction of funds from "the fruits of labor" of people that just are trying to provide for their families.

I totally oppose any US military intervention into this problem. I have no problem paying the passed on cost of private "shipping protection" in the goods that I purchase that come from this region. I know damn well that that cost will be TINY compared to the cost of the military intervention.

Its time that the free market be allowed to function. That includes the property protection.

Please feel free to dispute that private protection of shipping would not solve this problem both easily and most cost effectively in this situation.
12-16-2008 10:01 PM
Tripster Offline

Since the U.N. gave the nod to this Fo, I honestly don't think the Military will be used all that much after things get further along and Companies like Blackwater and others can do this Job.

I mean all those guys are Ex-Mil/Law Enforcement anyway.

That is the Trend I see .... just like me when I worked for the DOD .... we were Contracted thru the Fed's and had the Exact Same Authority to use whatever force we needed to use, but we did not wear the same Uniform of the Military, Customs, or Coast Guard yet we had All the Exact Same Powers and Authority.

And we also did High Profile Personal Protection with a SWAT Like Team that were Specially Trained. I mean we all had tons of Training from Years Before, but Training and the associated Certificates are always good - - keeps you current and sharp.

I see Contract Firms after Guidelines are in place.

12-16-2008 10:45 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

Fo Shizzle Wrote:I totally oppose any US military intervention into this problem. I have no problem paying the passed on cost of private "shipping protection" in the goods that I purchase that come from this region.
Depending on your definition of intervention we are already paying the cost of protection with our tax funded military who are already out there trying to provide protection. Private protection might work but can you imagine how loud the bleeding hearts will scream the minute one of those guys shoots a pirate and kills him? The NY Times will put a picture of the pirate's now fatherless and starving kid on the front page with headlines calling the security team war criminals and the ensuing lawsuits will be endless. At least the military will require some sort of rules of engagement whereas the private security might shoot questions first and ask questions later - not that I'm against that given the history of the pirates but it does give a reason for an ambulance chasing lawyer to sport a woody.
12-16-2008 10:49 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Tripster Wrote:.

Since the U.N. gave the nod to this Fo, I honestly don't think the Military will be used all that much after things get further along and Companies like Blackwater and others can do this Job.

I mean all those guys are Ex-Mil/Law Enforcement anyway.

That is the Trend I see .... just like me when I worked for the DOD .... we were Contracted thru the Fed's and had the Exact Same Authority to use whatever force we needed to use, but we did not wear the same Uniform of the Military, Customs, or Coast Guard yet we had All the Exact Same Powers and Authority.

And we also did High Profile Personal Protection with a SWAT Like Team that were Specially Trained. I mean we all had tons of Training from Years Before, but Training and the associated Certificates are always good - - keeps you current and sharp.

I see Contract Firms after Guidelines are in place.

I don't know.... a "mysterious explosion" from a "bomb" or a Tomahawk very close to a Somali Pirate Town may be needed to convey the full meaning of the UN Resolution.
12-16-2008 10:51 PM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
You'd think it would be fairly easy to track these guys. Find the port where they are taking the ships. Put a camera into the sky. Wahlaaa...............
12-16-2008 11:30 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Machiavelli Wrote:You'd think it would be fairly easy to track these guys. Find the port where they are taking the ships. Put a camera into the sky. Wahlaaa...............

Mach, you can get 1 meter resolution commercial recon sat photos of the Somlai town of Eyl anywhere.

There are 4 merchies anchored about 1/4 mile offshore.

Problem is that until today nobody had the authority to strike the bases.

And I bet today the captured crews that were held onboard have been transferred ashore, so you have the "Human Shield" factor to deal with.
12-16-2008 11:38 PM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
I took a class on Remote Viewing from NASA at The John Glenn facility in Cleveland a couple of summers ago. They wanted my class to take surface temperature readings and cloud and snow cover to calibrate satellites. I asked a couple of questions about resolution and the NASA guy said the military had 2 in. resolution in the 60's but today's resolution is classified. If they had 2inches in the 60's imagine what they have today.
12-17-2008 12:51 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Machiavelli Wrote:I took a class on Remote Viewing from NASA at The John Glenn facility in Cleveland a couple of summers ago. They wanted my class to take surface temperature readings and cloud and snow cover to calibrate satellites. I asked a couple of questions about resolution and the NASA guy said the military had 2 in. resolution in the 60's but today's resolution is classified. If they had 2inches in the 60's imagine what they have today.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
12-17-2008 09:17 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
WMD Owl Wrote:Problem is that until today nobody had the authority to strike the bases.

See that's the real problem with all of this.

I think it boils down to a simple division. Some people feel they first need to ask government to give them permission before they do anything. Other people feel government should only get involved when there is a clear need.

Ships should have been allowed to arm themselves from the beginning. They shouldn't have to seek "authority" for this...it's an innate human right.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2008 09:22 AM by DrTorch.)
12-17-2008 09:21 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Wouldn't this be the absolute perfect opportunity for states in Africa and the Middle East to patrol, fight and solve a local issue?

Jeeze, fighting pirates in wooden go-fasts should be like shooting fish in barrel.
12-17-2008 11:29 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
DrTorch Wrote:
WMD Owl Wrote:Problem is that until today nobody had the authority to strike the bases.

See that's the real problem with all of this.

I think it boils down to a simple division. Some people feel they first need to ask government to give them permission before they do anything. Other people feel government should only get involved when there is a clear need.

Ships should have been allowed to arm themselves from the beginning. They shouldn't have to seek "authority" for this...it's an innate human right.

+1 protection of private property is indeed a natural right and should not need permission.
12-17-2008 12:13 PM
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
So the UN moves to "save the cargo" of these companies, but when it comes to saving the lives of people being murdered, they sit on their hands.

F_UCK the UN. Abolish it. Useless.
12-17-2008 02:45 PM
Tripster Offline

People with Commons Sense have been trying abolish the U.N. for decades now.

It has become more of place to take a New York vacation at, than to accomplish any real world aid.

I can see the premise the U.N. was created on, but the doo doo running downhill under the U.N.'s Foundation as eroded the Concrete and it is Sliding into the Hudson.

And that will be one LARGE MOUNTAIN of DOO DOO boy !!!!!!

I don't think even "THE" New York sewer system can handle that much Bull Shyte at one time ......

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2008 06:22 AM by Tripster.)
12-17-2008 03:14 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

Lord Stanley Wrote:Wouldn't this be the absolute perfect opportunity for states in Africa and the Middle East to patrol, fight and solve a local issue?

Jeeze, fighting pirates in wooden go-fasts should be like shooting fish in barrel.

I applaud India for jumping into action and having a few pirating Muslims get to meet Allah execpectedly early.
12-17-2008 10:26 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
SumOfAllFears Wrote:So the UN moves to "save the cargo" of these companies, but when it comes to saving the lives of people being murdered, they sit on their hands.

F_UCK the UN. Abolish it. Useless.

I'm in your boat on this voyage. ..In its current state as a do nothing bureaucratic bunch of intellectuals that have NO clue what the REAL world is about...The UN is USELESS.03-puke

I'd like to see the UN kicked out of the US and moved to any country in Europe and then...I'd like to see the US say FU to the UN.03-nutkick
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2008 07:12 AM by Fo Shizzle.)
12-17-2008 11:38 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

Just heard China might send a few ships to help out with the pirates. Perhaps a little military interaction with them along with a common goal is a good thing.
12-18-2008 11:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.