Bookmark and Share
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
"Heard it from Hoard" - Dan weighs in on season ending debacle
Heard it From Hoard: Column 80

I know WHAT happened.

I know HOW it happened.

What I'm struggling with is WHY it happened?

I honestly have no explanation for why the Bearcats played so poorly in their last four games - especially with so much at stake.

Here's what I do know.

Mick will evaluate every aspect of his program to try to get better, and he'll start by critiquing himself.

I'd like to see some of the players devote as much time to self-improvement as Mick does.

The Bearcats desperately need a point guard (actually, two to have depth). Big East defenses are simply too tough to get all of your baskets in a half-court offense. Cincinnati forced 19 turnovers against DePaul and wound up with 7 fast break points. That's not going to cut it. They need to run when they have the opportunity next year and get some easy buckets. That means a point guard who can push the pace.

Deonta Vaughn needs to take charge. Deonta is a great leader by example - he's in exceptional shape and practices hard - but that's not enough. A coach can only provide so much leadership - a veteran player has to push and prod his teammates too.

Yancy Gates has to become a more physical player - especially on offense. After his sensational performance against West Virginia, Yancy was 15-for-47 (32%) in the final four games, and most of those shots were within a few feet of the hoop. He's too skilled and too strong to do that against lower-level Big East teams. Yancy had a good freshman year but will only be a star when he decides to play with more power and less finesse. He went to the foul line 2.5 times per game this year and there's no reason why he shouldn't double that next year.

Rashad Bishop needs to take 500 jump shots a day, working on his form and shooting with more arc. I'll take his defense and toughness, but a wing player who averages 26 minutes of playing time needs to score more than 5 points a game.

Larry Davis needs to improve as much next year as he did this year. From the practices I watched, only Vaughn competed harder on a daily basis.

Alvin Mitchell needs to be more consistent in every aspect of his behavior, so his coaches and teammates know they can depend on him.

Darnell Wilks needs to get stronger, tougher, and work on his ball-handling skills.

Biggie McClain made a significant contribution in more games as a freshman that he has as a sophomore and that's on him. He's not the most physically gifted player in the world, but there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to provide a few solid minutes per game. It's up to Biggie to prove he deserves more playing time.

Steve Toyloy needs to play to his strengths and become the best rebounder/defender he can possibly be. He's only been playing basketball for five years and should be very serviceable next season with a year of experience under his belt.

Dion Dixon needs to become a better 3-point shooter and a better ball-handler. He seems to have a good work ethic - let's see if he's significantly better as a sophomore.

That's all I've got for now. I've scored tickets to the Will Ferrell one-man Broadway show tonight (thanks Mike Waddell!). Ferrell's going to have to be really funny to put a smile back on my face.

http://gobearcats.cstv.com/ot/dan-hoard-column.html

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2009 10:32 AM by bearcatfan.)
03-11-2009 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

50Cent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
RE: "Heard it from Hoard" - Dan weighs in on season ending debacle
Noticed no mention of Mike Williams. Im telling you, the program lost a lot of respect for Mike when he didnt compete recently. I think its no coincidence that he is not on Hoard's list for next year. Interesting that Biggie is mentioned, since many have written him off.

So Hoard mentions 9 player by name. Add Wright and Thomas. Thats 11. Recruiting for PG and SF. Thats 13 next year. Will be an interesting offseason thats for sure.

Oh and every shooter....absolutely every player needs to be in gym on their own working on shooting.

03-11-2009 12:29 PM
Bearcat419 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats
Well, if were going to to go into that, Cashmere wasnt actually mentioned either.

03-11-2009 12:37 PM
Tymanh99 Offline

I Root For: .
Donators
50, you're looking too much into that list.

03-11-2009 12:39 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Dan has some inside knowledge that most of us don't so it is nice to get some of that. Regarding fast break points, which are very important, it isn't just the point guard that pushes it down the court, whoever get the steal or rebound needs to either push it or pass it. Most of the fast breaks that I saw in the big east are not PG driven, the forwards and 2 guards lead to way also.
You don't wait, and give up a fast break opportunity, and then get the ball to the PG as the defense is not reset.

03-11-2009 12:39 PM
BigDawg Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(03-11-2009 12:39 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Dan has some inside knowledge that most of us don't so it is nice to get some of that. Regarding fast break points, which are very important, it isn't just the point guard that pushes it down the court, whoever get the steal or rebound needs to either push it or pass it. Most of the fast breaks that I saw in the big east are not PG driven, the forwards and 2 guards lead to way also.
You don't wait, and give up a fast break opportunity, and then get the ball to the PG as the defense is not reset.

Agree with that. In my years of coaching, pushing the ball is one of the bigger problems inexperienced players have. Lots of screw ups on quick outlets with steals on bad passes trying to force the ball and then once that happens, players get gun shy. I would rather them hold it and go slow than to throw a bad pass that results in a layup, or worse, a foul and layup. As players mature, I think you see more willingness to push the ball and go quicker.

I wonder if some of the not pushing it is because of the inexperience or if we just don't have the guys to do it. Ideally a guy like Bishop would be perfect to push the ball. Good height and ball handling, but he needs to do a better job being available for the ball. That may be a gameplan on coach Cronin's part as well. Maybe they don't want to force it too much (Though going by some of his comments in the past, it seems like he does want to push the ball).

03-11-2009 12:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(03-11-2009 12:39 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Dan has some inside knowledge that most of us don't so it is nice to get some of that. Regarding fast break points, which are very important, it isn't just the point guard that pushes it down the court, whoever get the steal or rebound needs to either push it or pass it. Most of the fast breaks that I saw in the big east are not PG driven, the forwards and 2 guards lead to way also.

This is especially the case when the bearcats are being pressed. Our ball handlers were so concerned about not turning the ball over that we played it safe instead of breaking the press and than attacking the basket. it got better towards the end of the season but still, those are potential points being left on the court.

03-11-2009 01:07 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(03-11-2009 12:45 PM)BigDawg Wrote:  

Agree with that. In my years of coaching, pushing the ball is one of the bigger problems inexperienced players have. Lots of screw ups on quick outlets with steals on bad passes trying to force the ball and then once that happens, players get gun shy. I would rather them hold it and go slow than to throw a bad pass that results in a layup, or worse, a foul and layup. As players mature, I think you see more willingness to push the ball and go quicker.

I wonder if some of the not pushing it is because of the inexperience or if we just don't have the guys to do it. Ideally a guy like Bishop would be perfect to push the ball. Good height and ball handling, but he needs to do a better job being available for the ball. That may be a gameplan on coach Cronin's part as well. Maybe they don't want to force it too much (Though going by some of his comments in the past, it seems like he does want to push the ball).

I think initially they were coached not to push the ball, but over the season they just flat out ignore opportunities. I just shake my head.

03-11-2009 01:15 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(03-11-2009 01:07 PM)eroc Wrote:  

This is especially the case when the bearcats are being pressed. Our ball handlers were so concerned about not turning the ball over that we played it safe instead of breaking the press and than attacking the basket. it got better towards the end of the season but still, those are potential points being left on the court.

No doubt about that also, and I won't give them crap about that, but the getting long rebounds and turnovers and just standing around until someone hands the ball to Vaughn or whoever............then the opposition on defense is set. UC is and became a very easy team to defend, especially when they can't hit a few 3s.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2009 01:18 PM by SuperFlyBCat.)
03-11-2009 01:17 PM
BigDawg Offline
All American

Donators
I do truly believe that Cronin wants to be more like U of L and be a team that pushes the ball and presses (Like the days he spent on Pitino's bench). I also think he would be fine shooting plenty of 3 pointers, but also having an inside game and going inside out to get open 3 point looks and then rebounding misses. But also mixing in good defense that forces an offense to work hard every possession. So they may never be a team that averages a ton of points, but will run it and press often, but also does a good job in the half court defense.

We don't have the weapons yet, but there are some pieces that could make that feasible and we get 2-3 more pieces next year, so we could be getting closer to an athletic team that presses and runs at the right time, but runs a good half court offense and will play strong defense. Lets hope we get there.

03-11-2009 01:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
(03-11-2009 01:46 PM)BigDawg Wrote:  I do truly believe that Cronin wants to be more like U of L and be a team that pushes the ball and presses (Like the days he spent on Pitino's bench). I also think he would be fine shooting plenty of 3 pointers, but also having an inside game and going inside out to get open 3 point looks and then rebounding misses. But also mixing in good defense that forces an offense to work hard every possession. So they may never be a team that averages a ton of points, but will run it and press often, but also does a good job in the half court defense.

We don't have the weapons yet, but there are some pieces that could make that feasible and we get 2-3 more pieces next year, so we could be getting closer to an athletic team that presses and runs at the right time, but runs a good half court offense and will play strong defense. Lets hope we get there.

I understand that Kilpatrick can shoot lights out and this is a needed quality, but does anyone know anything of the skill sets of Thomas (who wants to be a 3 or 4, no 5.).

03-11-2009 02:04 PM
Advertisement

subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
I don't expect much from Thomas. OSU fans said he was good for 5 fouls a game.

03-11-2009 02:09 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
(03-11-2009 01:15 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  I think initially they were coached not to push the ball, but over the season they just flat out ignore opportunities. I just shake my head.
UC blew at least 4 fast break opportunities against Seton Hall where they had a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1. Twice they missed layups and twice they stopped driving toward the basket only to attempt to set up an offense.

That carried over into the DePaul game.

03-11-2009 02:11 PM
50Cent Offline
Heisman

Five fouls a game from a young somewhat unpolished big man...hmmm...what would they have said about kenyon martin's first year....or second year. Way to give the kid a chance Sub. I know in this day and age its immediate impact...some of Huggins best didnt develop until Jr and Sr years.

03-11-2009 02:16 PM
BigDawg Offline
All American

Donators
(03-11-2009 02:16 PM)50Cent Wrote:  some of Huggins best didnt develop until Jr and Sr years.

This is something that should not be forgotten about either. UC currently is loaded with sophomores that are still developing.

03-11-2009 02:33 PM
eroc Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2009 02:33 PM)BigDawg Wrote:  
(03-11-2009 02:16 PM)50Cent Wrote:  some of Huggins best didnt develop until Jr and Sr years.

This is something that should not be forgotten about either. UC currently is loaded with sophomores that are still developing.

True as that may be, in terms of development some have not made the strides that I was hoping for this year . Namely Bishop and McClain have not developed at all and seem like virtually the exact same players they were last year; Davis has made some strides and Mitchell (who, for all intents and purposes, is in his first full year of competitive D1 Bball. In order to meet expectations as Juniors, they are all going to have to make GIGANTIC leaps. I know it's been done before. I've seen it I with my own eyes with Kenyon and Eric Hicks. That said, do they have that in them?

03-11-2009 02:51 PM
Advertisement

BearcatShane09 Offline
1st String

I think Davis can be a 9-11 point per game guy and I think Mitchell can score 14 a game as a senior, if he's still here.

03-11-2009 03:01 PM
eroc Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2009 03:01 PM)BearcatShane09 Wrote:  I think Davis can be a 9-11 point per game guy and I think Mitchell can score 14 a game as a senior, if he's still here.

i think if Mitchell learns to play better defense, he can definitely be a strong contributor, if not a starter. Davis can be a 10 pts guy that comes off the bench but he too has to improve his defense. i don't know how many times he'd get in his stance to try and man up on a ball handler only for the ball handler to blow right by him. If he were a db, he'd be toast.

03-11-2009 03:15 PM
BigDawg Offline
All American

Donators
(03-11-2009 03:15 PM)eroc Wrote:  
(03-11-2009 03:01 PM)BearcatShane09 Wrote:  I think Davis can be a 9-11 point per game guy and I think Mitchell can score 14 a game as a senior, if he's still here.

i think if Mitchell learns to play better defense, he can definitely be a strong contributor, if not a starter. Davis can be a 10 pts guy that comes off the bench but he too has to improve his defense. i don't know how many times he'd get in his stance to try and man up on a ball handler only for the ball handler to blow right by him. If he were a db, he'd be toast.

I really see Davis as a shooting specialist, but he also is willing to drive. He has shown some lock down defense at times (Was it the Notre Dame game that they were raving about him as he shut shut down Maclarney?). I think Davis has it in him and I really think he will step it up more next year, though with Vaughn hopefully moving to the 2 guard, hopefully Davis is just a guy that plays 10-20 minutes in relief and is ready as a senior to take over for Vaughn.

03-11-2009 03:38 PM
THE BearcatBrent Offline
Nancy WAS wrong.................

I Root For: who I want
I wonder why Mike Thomas is leaving mick to hang in the wind. At least a vote of confidence....................................

03-11-2009 04:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.