Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Is the rumor true - will Memphis be in the Big East in 2012?
Memphis will be in the Big East in 2012
Memphis will not be in the Big East by 2012
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Memphis board discussing Big East invite rumor
UofL07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Memphis board discussing Big East invite rumor
06-21-2009 03:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
RE: Memphis board discussing Big East invite rumor
So it continues....so i guess now the discussion will be FB only or all sports.If all sports then the expansion talk will change to who will be # 18! 03-banghead 02-13-banana05-stirthepot
06-21-2009 03:43 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
More nonsense.

Show me where there are 12 university president votes in the post-Calipari, pre-NCAA sanction universe to add Memphis right now. They aren't there.

Temple would have as many votes now, and that's not saying much.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2009 03:49 PM by DFW HOYA.)
06-21-2009 03:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Ok. Hng on Im going to have a phone conference with all the BE presidents and get back to you on that one. LOL

NONE of us knows for sure what is happening behind the scenes. Is this true and likely to happen? I dont think so but who knows. I know full well that when USF was being talked to about BE admission and actually met with BE reps there was NO talk on boards about it and in fact I remember the Memphis AD saying publicly that USF to BE was not in picture.

So we wont know what its really going on until something is anounce.
06-21-2009 03:53 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
The only way Memphis joins the Big East, and I say this only half-joking, is to make a $10-15 million offer to buy out DePaul's seat at the table.
06-21-2009 03:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(06-21-2009 03:58 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  The only way Memphis joins the Big East, and I say this only half-joking, is to make a $10-15 million offer to buy out DePaul's seat at the table.
It might not take that much. I think an equitable agreement would be for Memphis to pay DePaul's exit fee, and their entrance fee for admittance. DePaul would get their fee to enter another conference, and we'd be in a more stable configuration...
06-21-2009 04:14 PM
Advertisement

subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
I have very good reson to believe this is just BS. UofL07, you have a PM explaining my thought process.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2009 04:27 PM by subflea.)
06-21-2009 04:27 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I hope something is in the works with Memphis. The Big East desperately needs a 9th football playing member. The Memphis board mentions Big East schools changing their 2012 schedules. Has anyone else heard this? Memphis joining The Big East would certainly explain their guppy ex-coach jumping to another small fry conference like the SEZ instead of moving to a big fish basketball conference with the Tigers.
CJ
06-21-2009 07:38 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Interesting, so if there board is correct UM football will begin BE play in 2012, and the current football schools will begin to buy out of games to make room for a 9th member. Has anyone been buying out of games yet? I don't think WVU has, but there has been talk of WVU and UM playing a football series from time to time

Jackson
06-21-2009 07:55 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Well USF has open slots in 2012 so they dont have to buy out anyone.
06-21-2009 07:59 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
If there is some legs to this rumor we shall see when the Liberty signs its next contract this year
06-21-2009 08:02 PM
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(06-21-2009 03:48 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  More nonsense.

Show me where there are 12 university president votes in the post-Calipari, pre-NCAA sanction universe to add Memphis right now. They aren't there.

Temple would have as many votes now, and that's not saying much.

Funny, if I had told you in 2003 that Cincinnati would be in the Big East you and others would say "show me where there are enough votes needed to bring in a renegade program like Cincinnati". In fact, the rumor was, that Notre Dame would NEVER stand to be in the same conference as Cincinnati, and that Cincinnati wasn't up to the standards of Big East academic institutions. Perception is reality, and the rumor is that Memphis won't get hit hard, if really at all, but the NCAA. Memphis played good basketball before Calipari. I'm not saying that Memphis is headed to the Big East, but I remember people saying the SAME thing about Cincinnati and why we wouldn't get into the Big East. And, as CubanBull mentioned, no one gave South Florida a snowball's chance in hell of being invited as a football-only member let alone All-Sports.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2009 08:05 PM by CatsClaw.)
06-21-2009 08:04 PM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(06-21-2009 08:02 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  If there is some legs to this rumor we shall see when the Liberty signs its next contract this year

Good Point

Or if they sign it just through 2011 for CUSA.
06-21-2009 08:10 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-21-2009 08:02 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  If there is some legs to this rumor we shall see when the Liberty signs its next contract this year

Obviously I would be ecstatic to have Memphis in the conference. I know some might want to turn this into "former C-USA schools vs old Big East schools" but that is rubbish. Memphis is to us (Cincinnati and Louisville) as Pitt is to West Virginia, and so forth. There's a long time bond, we're the three brothers. But, more importantly for the conference, we would be in position to scoop up a 3rd New Year's Bowl (the Liberty Bowl), and that, more then anything else, would go a long way towards improving the conference's national stature. It would make the conference look much more like a national power if we could do what other BCS conferences do, send our Top 3 teams to legitimate New Year's Bowls. It would also go a long way towards keeping the conference together. If the Big East could add a 9th football school, and a legit New Year's Bowl, there wouldn't be a lot of incentive to split.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2009 08:12 PM by CatsClaw.)
06-21-2009 08:10 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
There are worse predictions for 2012 out there:

http://www.2012endofdays.org/general/Pre...r-2012.php

I like the memphis + st louis U concept if a split isn't happening.
06-21-2009 08:29 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

It has gotten some of the ECU fans in a tizzy:

http://boneyardbanter.com/message_board/...611191.php

Some of the comments are interesting, saying this isn't true because the Big East will never be "proactive". One thing to consider though, rumors about Memphis has been around for the last 2 years, there have been rumblings about needing a 9th school for scheduling purposes and some of the schools have been vocal about it, there were suggestions of being open to adding a 9th All-Sports school, and, most importantly, we have a new commissioner and we don't know what his attitude is towards expansion. We do know that he has said he will go all out to improve our bowl situation, which makes this rumor all the more interesting.
06-21-2009 08:30 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(06-21-2009 08:10 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  

Obviously I would be ecstatic to have Memphis in the conference. I know some might want to turn this into "former C-USA schools vs old Big East schools" but that is rubbish. Memphis is to us (Cincinnati and Louisville) as Pitt is to West Virginia, and so forth. There's a long time bond, we're the three brothers.

I have no problem with some Louisville and Cincinnati fans who would like to have Memphis in the Big East with them. I also have no problem with those Bulls fans who do not want UCF in the Big East with them.

I understand both points of view for wanting and for not wanting. I actually agree with both points of view from those fans perspective. I just wish there was more acknowledgment from some fellow Big Easts from Louisville, Cincinnati, and USF who support the inclusion of at least one former C-USA target that WVU, Pitt, SU, and RU fans may want someone different based upon THEIR old rivalries.

Especially considering the amount of C-USA fans who will subsequently flood these boards (because Heaven Forbid, SOME fans of WVU, SU, Pitt, or RU want someone other than THEIR team), not to mention true ACC fans, pseudo ACC fans, etc. that will also pitch in for a chuckle or two as well.

It's a double standard with some on this board and while it can all be summed up as human nature, I'd like to see posters acknowledge the fact that some of these Old Big East fans have a right to their opinions and favorites as well, or at the very least state their bias up front when posting, like you did in this post.

And that, hopefully, is the last time I need to say that again to any poster.

Quote:But, more importantly for the conference, we would be in position to scoop up a 3rd New Year's Bowl (the Liberty Bowl), and that, more then anything else, would go a long way towards improving the conference's national stature. It would make the conference look much more like a national power if we could do what other BCS conferences do, send our Top 3 teams to legitimate New Year's Bowls.

And suppose in this round of negotiations, the Liberty goes to the Big East like it almost did last time without Memphis being a member? Of the three C-USA targets, I have made it clear on numerous occasions that I prefer the Tigers - mainly because I believe it is their TURN, of the non-auto bid BCS teams east of the Mississippi. But if the Liberty comes without them, don't you think their case for inclusion is considerably weakened?

Remember the last three Liberty Bowls could have been South Carolina vs. Rutgers (instead of Houston); Mississippi State vs. South Florida (instead of UCF); and Kentucky vs. WVU (instead of ECU).

Quote:It would also go a long way towards keeping the conference together. If the Big East could add a 9th football school, and a legit New Year's Bowl, there wouldn't be a lot of incentive to split.

The problem, as I see it is, is the voting. Even just amongst the BE football schools I don't see a united front behind any of the three C-USA targets. So without that, how do they go to the rest of the league and ask for them to vote in candidate 'X', IF they can't agree amongst themselves who that should be?

I think if you put a gun to their heads right now and told the football presidents they have to choose a C-USA target to support it would go something like this -

Pitt, UConn, RU - for UCF
WVU, USF - for ECU
Louisville, Cincinnati - for Memphis
Syracuse - the bullet 03-wink

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2009 09:09 PM by omniorange.)
06-21-2009 09:07 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
What a riot .. I heard it from a friend who... heard it from a friend who.. say's we are the only one. Sounds like sond lyrics.
06-21-2009 09:27 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Neil
I think all of us fans from UL, UC and USF realize that the rest of you are not gun ho on adding a CUSA team. But here is the deal, I think most of us feel that adding a 9th football member is something this league will have to do in the next 5 years. We do not like Memphis because we were in CUSA together. I prefer them because I think they bring to the`league more of what we need.
I dont have a problem with WV, Pitt and SU fan wanting another school, just be realistic dont tell me Penn state, BC or Maryland because yes I would choose them also but they are not realistic choices.
As for the voting you stated above, well im not sold that it would go that way. I think USF would vote for ECU or Memphis. I think you might be surprised at how much support Memphis would get IF the schools decide to add a 9th member, because at the end once the schools decide they must add one, a concensus would be reached.
As I said lets see the new Liberty Bowl contract for the 2010 season, if they only sign CUSA for two years or the BE gets in then its a sign Memphis is comming.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2009 09:35 PM by Cubanbull.)
06-21-2009 09:34 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(06-21-2009 08:29 PM)bluesox Wrote:  There are worse predictions for 2012 out there:

http://www.2012endofdays.org/general/Pre...r-2012.php

I like the memphis + st louis U concept if a split isn't happening.

GREAT Memphis may finally get into a bcs conference and the world comes to an end! Son of a B**ch
06-21-2009 09:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.