Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Summary of 2012 Football Recruits
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Summary of 2012 Football Recruits
I HAVE ANOTHER PROJECT GOING ON SO THIS IS NOT CURRENT. I WILL UPDATE AS I HAVE TIME AND CERTAINLY AFTER RECRUITING SEASON IS FINISHED.

Tulsa has verballed 9 ranked players including ESPN #6, #14, and #17 Oklahoma H.S. Players, twos ESPN Top 100 Texas H.S. Player, an ESPN Top 150 Texas H.S. Player, an ESPN Top 160 Top 160 Texas H.S. Player, a Kansas #6 H.S. Player, and ESPN #8 Kicker nationwide.

Verbals Darnell Walker was offered by Colorado.

Oklahoma State wanted to offer speed demon RB/Athlete, Caleb Muncrief of Madill Oklahoma, but is limited on scholarships this year.

The state of Oklahoma 2012 is heavy on running backs and short on defensive lineman, the latter a priority need for Tulsa.

As ususal within recent years, OU and OSU have gone very heavy into Texas and nationwide leaving lots of quality Oklahoma H.S. players available. CUSA/West schools and KU, KSU, Iowa State, Missouri, Arkansas, TCU, and Arizona are the main competitors in Oklahoma for Tulsa.

With the shift to the 4-man line on defense, a current lack of DL depth, and the loss of 3 DL to graduation after the 2011 season is completed, I suspect TU will go into the JUCO ranks for DTs and DEs in a big way.

Zach Lathrop, Safety, 6-0, 182, Sugarland, TX (Very late 2011 Walk-On)
Competing Offers: None
Comment from Sugarland News: Played QB because "I was able to remember the plays a lot easier than anyone else. I think I am athletic enough to play other positions." Awarded academic scholarship by TU because of 3.86 grade average and rigorous class schedule of advanced placement courses."

OFFENSIVE PLAYERS

Joshua Atkinson, WR, 6-2, 183, 4.53, Arlington (Oakridge), TX
Competing Offers: Rice
Accolodes: ESPN Texas Top 100, ESPN #7 Texas H.S. WR, ESPN #50 WR Nationwide
Comment:

Blake Belcher, OL, 6-6, 271, Guthrie, OK
Offers: Arizona, Stanford, Oregon State, Iowa State, AFA, NM, Ohio, Utah State
Accolodes: Rivals #6 Oklahoma High School Player

Adam Boyd, Athlete, 6-1, 185, 4.52, McAlester, OK
Accolodes:

Dane Evans, Pro Style QB, 6-2, 185, Sanger, TX
Accolodes: ESPN Texas Top 100, ESPN #7 Texas H.S. QB, ESPN #42 QB Nationwide, ESPN 3-Star
Comment: Jeff Tarply of AggieYell.com states "Evans is another guy you haven't heard a lot of, but I saw him last season and he was the best one I saw. He plays in Class 2A...which means he doesn't get a lot of publicity."
http://tulsa.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1233030
Comment: "We at TexasFootball.com are particularly high on Evans. We chose him to be our 3A Coverboy in the 2011 magazine. And for good reason..."
http://www.texasfootball.com/recruiting-...iew/179192

James Flanders, RB, 5-10, 181, 4.7, Midwest City, OK
Accolodes: ESPN #14 Oklahoma H.S. Player, ESPN #90 RB Nationwide, ESPN 2-Star, Rivals 3-Star
Comment: Recruited by BCS schools as DB. Tulsa promised to keep him at RB.

Dylan Foxworth, OC, 6-2, 265, Claremore, OK
Competing Offers: Wyoming, AFA, ULM
Comment: Recruited by Wyoming as DL.
Claremore Progess Newspaper Article

Cody Green, Dual Threat QB, 6-4, 220, Dayton, TX
Offers: Nebraska, TAMU, Okla St, Stanford, Texas Tech, Houston, Miss State, Boston College, Baylor
Accolodes: Rivals Texas Top 100 H.S. Player, Rivals #6 Dual Threat QB Nationwide, Rivals 4-Star
Comment: Nebraska's change in offense led to Green's transfer to Tulsa

Caleb Muncrief, RB/Athlete, 5-8, 188, 4.38, Madill, OK
Offers: Okla State wanted to offer but is limited on scholarships & 5-Star Barry Sanders Jr. is OSU's prime RB target.
Accolodes: Runner-Up 4A State Meet 100 Meters and 300 Intermediate Hurdles
http://www.ardmoreite.com/features/x5368...-Hurricane

Chris Wallace, OL, 6-4, 310, Sperry, OK
Competing Offes: None

Davis Walton, OT, 6-4, 285, JUCO, NEO
Offers:
Comment: Greyshirt

Tyler Wilson, TE, 6-7, 235, Ponca City, OK
Offers:
Accolodes: ESPN #8 Oklahoma High School Player
Comment: Played QB, WR, and TE at Ponca City.

DEFENSIVE PLAYERS

Jeremy Brady, CB, 5-11, 190, Red Oak, TX
Competing Offers:
Accolode: ESPN Texas Top 160, ESPN #62 CB Nationwide, Class 4A All-State by OldCoach.com as a junior.
Comment: Moved to Little Rock, AK for senior year.
http://arkansasvarsity.rivals.com/conten...ID=1234440

Johnell Celistan, CB, 6-2, 171, 4.41, Boutee, LA
Offers: Minnesota, Vandy, Memphis, UNT, Louisiana
Accolode:

Damian Gibson, DE, 6-2, 220, Tulsa, OK
Competing Offers: Utah State
Accolodes: Scout 3-Star, Rivals 3-Star, Rivals #12 Oklahoma H.S. Player

Cory Rahmings, DE, 6-3, 255, Broken Bow, OK
Offers: Colorado St, AFA, ULM, Ohio

Rob Rieder, OLB/Safety, 6-0, 180, Holton, KS
Accolodes: ESPN #6 Kansas H.S. Player, ESPN #78 Safety Nationwide, ESPN 2-Star, Rivals 3-Star

Conner Sherwood, ILB, 6-2.5, 218, 4.75, Tulsa, OK
Accolodes: ESPN #17 Oklahoma H.S. Player, ESPN #60 ILB Nationwide, Rivals 3-Star

Daniel Schwarz, K, 6-2, 183, Lawton (MacArthur), OK
Accolodes: ESPN #8 Kicker Nationwide, Rivals 2-Star

Craig Suits, OLB/Safety, 6-0, 205, 4.6, Mesquite, TX
Accolodes: ESPN Texas Top 150, ESPN #82 OLB Nationwide, ESPN 3-Star, Rivals 3-Star

Michael Thomas, Safety, 6-1, 195, Lawton (MacArthur), OK
Accolodes: ESPN #6 Oklahoma H.S. Player, ESPN #26 Safety Nationwide, ESPN 3-Star, Rivals 3-Star

Darnell Walker, CB, 5-10, 160, 4.52, Bolivar, MO
Competing Offers: Colorado
Accolodes: First team Missouri All-State as DB; Second team Missouri All-State as punt returner. Class 4A Missouri 800 Meter Champion
Comments: Son of former NFL & Okla U DB, he was outstanding defensive prospect at Tulsa's June 14th camp and immediately offered. Transferred from Muskogee, OK to Bolivar his junior year.
http://www.highschoolsports.net/local/Sp...1010090367

ESPN 2012 Top Oklahoma H.S. Players
http://espn.go.com/college-football/recr...2/state/ok
Scout: Oklahoma High School Prospects
http://hsoklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=406&p=9&c=4&yr=2012
OKVarsity.com: Oklahoma's Best Young Defenders
http://okvarsity.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1226323
JCFootball.com
http://jcfootball.scout.com/a.z?s=87&p=9...23&yr=2012
Scout: Class of 2011 Look Back
http://tulsa.scout.com/2/1074162.html

Rating Prospects? Stars versus Competing Offers
I have always relied on competing offers over the "star" system because competing offers were listed way, way back when high school recruiting services used newsletters and the internet was yet to be born. In addition, I feel the "star" system is fundamentally flawed, a BCS school verbals a player and the Star goes up one notch (maybe two!) and if TU verbals a player, often times the TU recruit's star rating gets downgraded a star.

However, with increasingly early offers by BCS schools, the old reliable "competing offer" rating is breaking down. It appears BCS schools are pursuing the 5-Star, 4-Star, and the "Premium" 3-Star players with three or more BCS offers before pursuing lesser, but still very good players and, perhaps, just simply very talented players whose only real fault is being less well known....before they come in and make the offer late or later in the recruiting process. I saw this last year and it is a new trend. It wouldn't surprise me to see it happen again and I think this is the trend for the future. I think within the Big-12, schools like Missouri, TT, Okla State, the Kansas schools...are being forced to go after the highly recruited athlete in order to compete with TAMU, Texas, and OU.

Tulsa then steps in and makes an early scholarship offer and, most times, the kid stays loyal to TU. My guess the thinking of the Tulsa recruit goes like this: "If you want me so bad, why didn't you offer me early like TU did?"

The best example of this is Garrett Stafford, OT, in last year's 2011 class. "Both Missouri and Kansas told me they would offer him after the first two games but Garrett didn't want to wait and wanted to commit before the season." Obviously, both Kansas and Missouri were pursuing more highly rated OTs...and wanted to see what happened with those recruits before placing a scholarship on the table for Stafford. Late in the recruiting season, both Houston and Vanderbilt made offers to Stafford. And Garrett turned down both of them.

The 2009 and 2010 Tulsa recruiting classes under Todd Graham had a lot of bells and whistles in terms of competing BCS and NonBCS IA offers. The many (BCS) offers started to change in 2011; there were not nearly as many BCS offers even though Todd Graham was heavily involved in assembling (and then coming after and costing TU about 5 verbals) the 2011 class. So, for TU fans, don't expect a lot of BCS offers to be listed for 2012 Tulsa recruits as in years past under Todd Graham. So, in following Tulsa recruiting, instead pay attention to the state rankings by the various recruiting services and comments by coaches and recruiting gurus. Above, the comments and observations made by others regarding QB recruit Dane Evans is what TU fans are going to have to follow. Another good source is that the local papers are covering football recruiting and, now and then, the local newspaper articles are quite good.

And, it is interesting to note that Todd Graham's outstanding 2009 and 2010 classes probably could not match the "bells and whistles" of the first Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas H.S. Players recruited by Bill Blankenship as per state rankings and recruiting guru observations and rankings.

It appears that Tulsa has done well in the last past dozen years with recruiting the offensive side of the ball across the board, OL, QB, HB, RB, and WR. The key to watch, if TU is to continue to raise the bar, is the recruiting of DTs and DEs. TCU kept raising the bar in recruiting each year and now their recruiting is right behind Texas and TAMU.

And, as they say, winning football teams are the ultimate judge of the recruiting classes. So, from this standpoint, Tulsa U is doing very fine in recruiting. Five bowls in six years, going 4-1 in the bowls with two bowl victories over a ranked team. It was a delight to watch Tulsa stand up physically to Notre Dame last year. This physicallness was lacking in previous years.

Bells and Whistles Quick Summary:
Page Belcher, OL: Rivals #6 Oklahoma H.S. PLayer
Michael Thomas, S: ESPN #6 Oklahoma H.S. Player
Daniel Schwarz, K: ESPN #8 Kicker Nationwide.
Dane Evans, QB: ESPN Texas Top 100 H.S. Player, ESPN 3-Star
Joshua Atkinson, WR: ESPN Texas Top 100 H.S. Player, ESPN 3-Star
Cody Green, QB: Rivals Texas Top 100 H.S. Player (Transfer from Nebraska)
Tyler Wilson, TE: ESPN #8 Oklahoma H.S. Player
Damian Gibson, DE: Rivals #12 Oklahoma H.S. Player
James Flanders, RB: ESPN #14 Oklahoma H.S. Player
Conner Sherwood, ILB, ESPN #17 Oklahoma H.S. Player
Bob Reider, OLB/S: ESPN #6 Kansas H.S. Player
Craig Suits, OLB/S: ESPN Texas Top 150
Jeremy Brady, CB: ESPN Texas Top 160, ESPN #62 CB Nationwide
Johnell Celistan, CB: Unranked. Offered by Minnesota, Vandy, Memphis, UNT, Louisiana
Darnell Walker, CB: Unranked. Offered by Colorado
Cory Rahmings, DE: Unranked. Offered by Colorado State, AFA, ULM, Ohio
Dylan Foxworth, OC: Unranked. Offered by Wyoming, AFA, ULM
Chris Wallace, OL: Unranked
Davis Walton, OT: Unranked (JUCO)
Caleb Muncrief, RB/Athlete: Unranked
Adam Boyd, Athlete: Unranked
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2011 02:14 PM by Tallgrass.)
03-29-2011 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rabidTU Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
RE: Summary of 2012 Football Recruits
I might add that Reider is listed as a Kansas top 10 player by some.
03-30-2011 09:03 AM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:
At 6' 1" and 165 lbs, most colleges would find that a little skinny for safety but it seems to me it wouldn't take a lot of work on a 6' 1" frame to add 20 to 25 lbs and look pretty good......the guy from Kansas is in pretty good shape for a freshman.
03-30-2011 11:45 AM
rrr83 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: TU
Zach is actually a 2011 graduate and will be there in the fall. He was just measured at Tulsa at 6', 182. He has been a QB since he was 7 and also is a P/K and was the holder when they finally found a soccer player to come kick. When he was little he played both ways and excelled at LB and DB. Not sure where they are going to play him, but he is tickled to have the opportunity to attend Tulsa.
04-21-2011 05:49 PM
rabidTU Offline
1st String

Always nice to have another fine young man at TU. Good luck and go TU!
04-22-2011 09:15 AM
Advertisement

Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Thanks to all for keeping me up to date with the summary! Please keep it up!
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2011 08:29 PM by Tallgrass.)
06-18-2011 05:37 PM
Tulsafanzz Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa
Tulsa just received a verbal from Scout 3 star QB Dane Evans from Sanger, Texas (no stars yet from Rivals). Looks like a very good prospect. Scout/ESPN has him rated as high as the Lawton DB, our highest rated player in their ratings (so far).

It appears Coach Blankenship is being very aggressive going after players. Evans was being looked at seriously by OSU, Notre Dame & many others. We got him to campus, offered & now have his verbal commitment.
06-19-2011 07:52 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-19-2011 07:52 PM)Tulsafanzz Wrote:  Tulsa just received a verbal from Scout 3 star QB Dane Evans from Sanger, Texas (no stars yet from Rivals). Looks like a very good prospect. Scout/ESPN has him rated as high as the Lawton DB, our highest rated player in their ratings (so far).

It appears Coach Blankenship is being very aggressive going after players. Evans was being looked at seriously by OSU, Notre Dame & many others. We got him to campus, offered & now have his verbal commitment.

Thanks for the heads up! Yes, it looks like BB is doing great!
06-19-2011 08:30 PM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-21-2011 05:49 PM)rrr83 Wrote:  Zach is actually a 2011 graduate and will be there in the fall. He was just measured at Tulsa at 6', 182. He has been a QB since he was 7 and also is a P/K and was the holder when they finally found a soccer player to come kick. When he was little he played both ways and excelled at LB and DB. Not sure where they are going to play him, but he is tickled to have the opportunity to attend Tulsa.

Thanks! I corrected height and weight. For the time being, I am leaving him here although he is a 2011 commitment.
06-22-2011 03:48 PM
Advertisement

harmoncollege Offline
Water Engineer

Tallgrass, I think you are missing some guys. And Quinton White is no longer committed to Tulsa.

Feel free to check out our commitment list on Inside Tulsa Sports....it is updated the second a commit or de-commit happens, and has all the proper vitals, rankings, video, etc.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tulsa/football/r...ments/2012
11-04-2011 09:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jesterondirt Offline
Real racing happens on dirt!

I Root For: GoldenHurricane
yeah, good luck getting TG to go back to rivals.
11-04-2011 01:15 PM
Jesterondirt Offline

Welcome to the BBS board Chris. Took you long enough.
11-04-2011 01:16 PM
harmoncollege Offline
Water Engineer

(11-04-2011 01:15 PM)bleed blue and gold Wrote:  yeah, good luck getting TG to go back to rivals.

Why's that? Did something happen? He's obviously into TU football recruiting, and our site is the very best place to get info on that topic. I was just trying to be helpful.
12-09-2011 08:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jesterondirt Offline

(12-09-2011 08:41 AM)harmoncollege Wrote:  
(11-04-2011 01:15 PM)bleed blue and gold Wrote:  yeah, good luck getting TG to go back to rivals.

Why's that? Did something happen? He's obviously into TU football recruiting, and our site is the very best place to get info on that topic. I was just trying to be helpful.

I frequent there quite a bit (AKA: Jesterondirt) I just seem to remember seeing some of his comments about the rivals board. He didnt seem too happy.
12-09-2011 09:30 AM
harmoncollege Offline
Water Engineer

(12-09-2011 09:30 AM)bleed blue and gold Wrote:  

I frequent there quite a bit (AKA: Jesterondirt) I just seem to remember seeing some of his comments about the rivals board. He didnt seem too happy.
That's too bad. If it's been a long time, he ought to give it another try.
12-09-2011 10:24 AM
rabidTU Offline
1st String

(12-09-2011 10:24 AM)harmoncollege Wrote:  

Chris, nice to hear from you. You run the best site in all rivals as far as I'm concerned. You're the man! Hope everything is going good with your family.

As far as TG is concerned, he is a great poster in so many ways and is missed on rivals (he's not the only one) IMO, but I think there is a poster or two (or more) on there that just make a habit of vindictive, nasty and mean postings (at TU fans for crying out loud), and align their cross hairs on a few they single out to vent their rage and hate on. I, for instance, decided long ago to take them on. TG may be too nice and polite to do that. It isn't your fault. Keep up the good work.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2011 11:52 AM by rabidTU.)
12-09-2011 11:29 AM
harmoncollege Offline
Water Engineer

(12-09-2011 11:29 AM)rabidTU Wrote:  
(12-09-2011 10:24 AM)harmoncollege Wrote:  

Chris, nice to hear from you. You run the best site in all rivals as far as I'm concerned. You're the man! Hope everything is going good with your family.

As far as TG is concerned, he is a great poster in so many ways and is missed on rivals (he's not the only one) IMO, but I think there is a poster or two (or more) on there that just make a habit of vindictive, nasty and mean postings (at TU fans for crying out loud), and align their cross hairs on a few they single out to vent their rage and hate on. I , for instance, decided long ago to take them on. TG may be too nice and polite to do that. It isn't your fault. Keep up the good work.
I completely understand. I wish more people would represent the other view, because I think it would help. But that's what I think is great about our premium board...it is much calmer with more serious discussion and quality info.

I pop over here from time to time just to see what's going on. It took me a while to actually post. :)
12-09-2011 11:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.