Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How many UC players will be drafted next year?
Bookmark and Share
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
2:55 pm, May 3, 2011 | Written by bkoch

UC had only one player drafted this year by the NFL. How many will get picked next year?

Heading into this fall the two most likely to be drafted are defensive tackle Derek Wolfe and running back Isaiah Pead.

Wolfe, at 6-5, 300 pounds, could be one of the best defensive linemen in the Big East this year and is almost a lock to be drafted barring a severe dropoff this season.

Pead has the speed and the ability to make people miss. He has also added about 10 pounds in an attempt to become more durable, a critical asset that NFL scouts look for. He also needs to improve his blocking skills in pass protection. If he does all that, he could be looking at a fourth- or fifth-round selection.

Wide receiver D.J. Woods is hurt by his lack of size. He’s only 6-feet, 178 pounds, but has been a very productive receiver at UC, finishing third last year in the Big East in receptions. Remember, though, Armon Binns led the league last year and at 6-3 has the size that NFL scouts look for. The knock on him apparently was that he wasn’t fast enough. Woods must improve his consistency and do a better job of holding onto the ball after the catch. He will likely be a free agent.

Linebacker JK Schaffer has an outside chance of being drafted in the late rounds. His biggest shortcomings are his lack of size at 6-1, 232, and speed. He makes up for some of that with intelligence, consistency and all-out effort.

Offensive lineman Alex Hoffman, at 6-7, 299, has a chance to get drafted in the late rounds. At the least, he should be able to make it into an NFL camp as a free agent.

And finally, and perhaps the most interesting , is quarterback Zach Collaros, the best quarterback in the Big East last year. Collaros’ biggest drawback is his size. He’s listed at 6-1, which doesn’t seem so small considering that Andy Dalton, who was drafted by the Bengals in the second round, is listed at 6-3 by some, 6-2 by others. But some say that Collaros is actually closer to 6-feet than 6-1. He has average arm strength for the NFL and needs to show that he can thrive as a dropback passer after playing out of the spread in college. With a big year, he might be able to sneak into the sixth or seventh round. At this point, he figures to be a free agent but he has all season to change that assessment.

http://news.cincinnati.com/ucblog

05-03-2011 05:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
RE: How many UC players will be drafted next year?
I think Collaros should start to throw his name out as a baseball prospect.

05-03-2011 05:31 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Was Collaros that good at baseball?

05-03-2011 06:05 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(05-03-2011 06:05 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  Was Collaros that good at baseball?

Yes he was. He didn't play a ton at UC, but had the potential to be very good. Most young players take a year seeing college pitching before they really start to come around.

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2011 06:27 PM by subflea.)
05-03-2011 06:26 PM
Advertisement

Mopper Offline
1st String

Bearcats in order of draftability

Derek Wolfe
Isaiah Pead
Alex Hoffman
D.J. Woods
John Hughes
J.K. Schaffer
Zach Collaros

Kenbrell Thompkins could be a 1 and done player, but he needs to have a monster year to make that happen. There are a couple other young guys that can be drafted if they develop like Sean Hooey, and Cameron Beard but that's about it.

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2011 08:14 PM by Mopper.)
05-03-2011 08:14 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Bearcats could have a pretty good draft next year. Wolfe, Pead, and Hoffman could end up anywhere in the top 3 rounds depending on how they play this year.

05-04-2011 09:29 AM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I agree with most of you guys. Right now I only see 3 draftees on that list for next year. Wolfe, Hoffman and Pead. No idea where any of them will project but those are the ones that I think will likely be picked.

05-04-2011 10:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mopper Offline
1st String

(05-04-2011 10:12 AM)Marcus Wrote:  I agree with most of you guys. Right now I only see 3 draftees on that list for next year. Wolfe, Hoffman and Pead. No idea where any of them will project but those are the ones that I think will likely be picked.

I think John Hughes has a good shot at being drafted. He is a legit 6'3" 300, that alone will get his name out there with the scouts. For his size he is pretty athletic, and he has very good feet and quick hands. His production isn't that great, but the potential is there. Basically Hughes is a more physically gifted Ricardo Mathews. In the spring of 2009 how many people would have called for Mathews to be a draft pick? Not me, that's for sure.

05-04-2011 12:29 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-04-2011 12:29 PM)Mopper Wrote:  
(05-04-2011 10:12 AM)Marcus Wrote:  I agree with most of you guys. Right now I only see 3 draftees on that list for next year. Wolfe, Hoffman and Pead. No idea where any of them will project but those are the ones that I think will likely be picked.

I think John Hughes has a good shot at being drafted. He is a legit 6'3" 300, that alone will get his name out there with the scouts. For his size he is pretty athletic, and he has very good feet and quick hands. His production isn't that great, but the potential is there. Basically Hughes is a more physically gifted Ricardo Mathews. In the spring of 2009 how many people would have called for Mathews to be a draft pick? Not me, that's for sure.

That's true. Never would have thought so on Mathews either. I think if Hughes has a good season he certainly improves his chances.

05-04-2011 12:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mbj655 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
I got a kick out of this rebuttal to Koch.

http://www.downthedrive.com/2011/5/5/215...-nfl-draft

05-10-2011 12:01 PM
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
That is our own poster Mopper.

05-10-2011 12:07 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Wonder if Matt forwarded that to Koch. For that matter, have any of you ever emailed Koch commenting on his articles or calling him out on anything? I'm always tempted to do so but always figure it's probably a lost cause.

05-10-2011 12:37 PM
bearcatmill Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(05-10-2011 12:37 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  Wonder if Matt forwarded that to Koch. For that matter, have any of you ever emailed Koch commenting on his articles or calling him out on anything? I'm always tempted to do so but always figure it's probably a lost cause.

It's usually a lost cause. I have emailed him in the past and typically do not receive a response. I once discussed this with the sport's editor - he was shocked that no one thought highly of Bill. Goes to show how out of touch the Enquirer is with their customers.

05-10-2011 12:45 PM
Advertisement

QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
(05-10-2011 12:01 PM)mbj655 Wrote:  I got a kick out of this rebuttal to Koch.

http://www.downthedrive.com/2011/5/5/215...-nfl-draft

Funny stuff!

05-10-2011 01:48 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(05-10-2011 12:37 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  Wonder if Matt forwarded that to Koch. For that matter, have any of you ever emailed Koch commenting on his articles or calling him out on anything? I'm always tempted to do so but always figure it's probably a lost cause.

Koch is easy, send him an email agreeing with his negative slant about UC and he will respond to emails, at least when I have tested him this has been the case.

Send him an email about UC being 4-8, how bad the defense was, does UC have any hope, BK left for ND, etc. He should reply.

Now if you say UC's campus is great, football team should be vastly improved, could challenge for a Big East Title, Nippert rocks, well good luck.

05-10-2011 04:33 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
I really need to bookmark Mopper's column 04-bow

I disagree with him on one point though: I DO have a problem with Bill's relentless negativity. I don't want a cheerleader, but I don't want someone who finds the negative in everything.

That said, IMO Bill is improving (but not nearly there).

As for the draft, I do think we have a good shot at 5-6 (Pead, Wolfe, Hughes, Hoffman, Shaffer, Woods, in that order). Probably end up being no more than four though.

05-11-2011 10:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.