Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Vin Mazzaro
Bookmark and Share
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The CATS
Vin Mazzaro
Ned Yost is a *******!

Leaving Chapman in the game to walk the world seems meaningless compared to what Yost did to Mazzaro Monday night against the Cleveland Indians. Down only 3-0, Mazzaro came on in relief in the 3rd inning and retired the side despite inheriting a runner. The 4th inning was a different story, however. Mazzaro allowed a run on two hits and a walk before getting the second out of the inning. What followed ending up setting a major league record and left the baseball world wondering if the KC manager had a pulse and or heart. The next seven Indians all reached base and in total 10 runs were scored on 8 hits and 2 walks. If that wasn't punishment enough, Yost allowed Mazzaro to start the 5th and load the bases before finally ending his misery.

When it was all said and done, Mazzaro allowed 14 ER in 2.1 IP. He became the first pitcher in major league history to allow 14 ER in less than 3 IP.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=310516107

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2011 02:39 AM by Bearcat04.)
05-17-2011 02:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
RE: Vin Mazzaro
Reliever Mazzaro makes history, allows 14 runs

Published - May 17 2011 01:19AM EST

By DOUG TUCKER - AP Sports Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Vin Mazzaro made major league history.

It cost him his spot in the big leagues.

The Royals reliever gave up 14 runs and got just seven outs against the Cleveland Indians, who beat Kansas city 19-1 Monday night. He was sent down to the minors after the game.

No pitcher has allowed 14 runs in fewer innings than Mazzaro, according to STATS LLC, whose database goes back to 1919.

"It's tough. It was a tough game," said Mazzaro, whose ERA is now 22.74. "Some of the plays didn't go my way. It's a funny game."

Only a handful of relief outings have gone worse. They all were longer, or included unearned runs.

The well-rested Indians pounded out 20 hits and walked eight times. Starter Kyle Davies didn't make it out of the first and Mazzaro had to come on after 1 2-3 innings from Nate Adcock.

Mazzaro hung in there until the fourth inning, when he gave up 10 runs.

After the brutal fourth inning, the right-hander allowed four more in the fifth before he was removed.

"We do have a few guys who see a lot of pitches," said Cleveland manager Manny Acta. "On those days when the pitchers are not on top of their game, these guys can really work a number on them."

The 25-year-old Mazzaro erased the Royals' record of 11 runs allowed in a game, which had been done three times.

Michael Brantley and Matt LaPorta each had four RBIs in the Indians' biggest offensive outburst since scoring 22 runs at New York on April 18, 2009. Hafner and Orlando Cabrera each had three RBIs.

LaPorta reached base five times with a walk and four hits.

"You see a couple of guys in front of you get a hit and you want to be right there, you want to be able to drive them in," LaPorta said "And I think it's the same way, guys behind you want to drive you in."

At least Mazzaro didn't get the loss.

That went to Davies (1-6), who left after walking the bases full in the first inning and retiring only one batter. The Royals said later that he would have an MRI for soreness in the front of his right shoulder. He was charged with two runs after Adcock gave up a two-run single to Orlando Cabrera.

The Indians added another run in the second on an RBI single by Brantley, who set a career high with his four RBIs.

Asdrubal Cabrera's RBI single got the Indians rolling in the fourth. Mazzaro then issued Carlos Santana's third walk of the game, and walk No. 7 on the night for the Indians, which loaded the bases.

Hafner then hammered a three-run double into left-center. Orlando Cabrera followed with an RBI single, then Travis Buck singled and LaPorta hit a two-run double that made it 10-0. After Jack Hannahan singled, Brantley hit a 1-1 pitch for a three-run home run and a 13-0 Cleveland lead.

"I personally didn't even know we had that many runs," said LaPorta. "We were just going up there. Everybody was trying to get on base and do their job. I was just trying to see the ball well and put a good swing on it."

The Indians, who were coming off back-to-back rainouts, sent 13 men to the plate in the fourth. For the game, they had a season-high 20 hits, including seven doubles, and drew eight walks.

In the fifth, Buck had an RBI single, LaPorta added a second two-run double and Hannahan brought in a run with an infield out.

Josh Tomlin (5-1) got the win, going six innings and giving up five hits and one run, on Billy Butler's infield out in the fourth.

Tomlin tried not to think he was working with a gigantic lead.

"I was up there still trying to take the same approach and pitch like it was a tie ballgame," he said. "Sometimes you can lose focus a little bit. But for the most part, it puts you at ease a little bit and you can go after them."

According to STATS LLC, the last pitcher to give up 10 runs in an inning was Texas' Scott Feldman against the Red Sox on Aug. 12, 2008, although not all the runs were earned. Before Mazzaro, the only pitchers since 1947 to get clobbered for 14 runs were Milwaukee's Bill Travers in 1977, and Oakland's Mike Oquist in 1998 against the Yankees. But those were starters.

No reliever had given up 14 runs in the major leagues since 1942, when Lester McCrabb did it for the Philadelphia Athletics, STATS said.

Their research also showed that three relievers have given up 16 runs in a single appearance. Lefty O'Doul gave up 16 runs in a 1923 game with the Boston Red Sox, though only three runs were earned.

Johnny Stuart of the Cardinals gave up 16 for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1925, but it took him 8 1-3 innings to do it. Dutch Schesler took eight innings in his 16-run appearance for the Philadelphia Phillies in 1931.

Mazzaro's name now joins theirs in major league history. Mazzaro, meanwhile, will join the Triple-A Omaha Storm Chasers.

"It's kind of a tough call," he said. "You've just go to keep battling. Things will work out."

NOTES: The Indians are in the unusual position of playing a pair of two-game series on a four-game road trip. After two in KC, they'll fly to Chicago for two with the White Sox before returning home. ... It was LaPorta's second four-hit game. The other was Aug. 29, 2009 at Baltimore. ... The last Royals pitcher to give up 11 runs was Brian Bannister on June 12, 2010 against Cincinnati. ... The Indians also scored 10 runs in the fourth inning on April 8 at Seattle.

http://www.rr.com/sports/topic/article/r...runs/full/

05-17-2011 08:45 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
Already being sent to Omaha. Not a good couple days for Vin.

05-17-2011 09:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
Ouch!

05-17-2011 09:50 AM
Eastside_J Away
Impressing Jodie Foster

I Root For: Cincinnati.
Donators
He should have started throwing at people to get himself tossed from the game.

05-17-2011 10:04 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Exactly what my oldest kid said while watching ESPN this morning. Said after the 8th run crossed the plate, he would have gone rib cage, ear hole, rib cage to keep them from crowding the plate. You score that many, you should know someone is getting ker-plunked.

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2011 01:40 PM by rath v2.0.)
05-17-2011 01:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.