Bookmark and Share
BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
Gilyard article
Ceremony brings out Gilyard's FPC pride
NFL player shows his roots during jersey ceremony
By ANDREW MIKULA, Correspondent
PALM COAST -- Right now, he's a Ram, as in St. Louis as in NFL.

But in his heart, Mardy Gilyard will always be a Flagler Palm Coast Bulldog, and he was not about to let some 50 awestruck players forget what wearing that uniform should mean to them.

During an emotional 10 minutes, the former FPC standout turned a fairly ordinary intrasquad football scrimmage into an unforgettable experience in helping celebrate the retirement of his No. 7 jersey on Friday night.

It played to a large crowd who had turned out to watch the Green and White clash, most of whom couldn't hear a thing the 2005 FPC graduate was saying to current and future Bulldogs in a pregame pep talk.

Charismatic as always, Gilyard got watery-eyed a couple of times, once as he accepted a framed plaque with his old jersey from head coach Caesar Campana. He had to wipe his eyes as he looked at the jersey and a game photo taken of him in his senior year and the inscription of his accomplishments.

Former head coach Steve Allen also was there at Gilyard's request. He's the man Gilyard unapologetically said rescued him from troubles in his sophomore year and showed faith in him the next year as he became one of the most feared running backs in Florida.

Then there was the meeting with the team. As the youngsters lined in row facing the home stands, Gilyard came by slapping hands with each and every one of them, then brought them into a big huddle after getting the award.

"To be a Bulldog is a spiritual thing," Gilyard shouted, breaking down a couple of times. "Remember you're a Bulldog and when you're out there, even if you fall behind, you fight, you fight, you fight, you fight, you fight, you fight ... you don't quit."

He mugged for photos with the cheerleading squad and slapped hands with dozens of well-wishers, including the players from the Buddy Taylor Middle School who will be freshmen next season.

"I still get chills every time I come into this place, you hearing me, like I'm breaking for 60 yards," Gilyard said in a short chat with a reporter afterward. "This is the best thing I ever had, because there were so many who doubted me and said I couldn't do it."

It had an impact on the players, who had a hard-hitting controlled scrimmage. Rising junior quarterback Bentlee Critcher said it was impressive to have Gilyard appear.

"Seeing someone who played here and accomplished what's had done made a big impact. Ninety percent of us want to go to the NFL and there's a very slim chance that any of us will, but to hear him talk, that was pretty neat. I think it woke us up pretty good, that pep talk about being a Bulldog," Critcher said.

Gilyard's prep accomplishments were remarkable. He got varsity playing time as a freshman and did turns at wide receiver, the defensive backfield and as third-string quarterback under then-coach Gene Willis. But he said he got mixed up with drugs before the beginning of sophomore season and was enrolled in an alternative schoolbut Allen refused to give up on him. With a healthy dose of tough love, Allen helped Gilyard get back on track -- even as FPC struggled to a 2-8 record and could sorely have used his help.

Reinstated his junior year, Gilyard made the most of his chance. The Bulldogs made the playoffs and won a playoff game that year.

Gilyard, who finished his high school career with more than 2,500 yards rushing and more than 30 touchdowns, helped the Bulldogs to a second straight playoff appearance and earned a spot on the Class 5A All-State First Team. A stellar basketball player and track and field athlete who went to state in the high jump, Gilyard was the 2005 recipient of The News-Journal's Male Athlete of the Year and earned a scholarship to the University of Cincinnati.

His years at Cincinnati were as rocky as his time at FPC. He became a starter in the defensive backfield and returned kicks his freshman year, lost his scholarship because of poor academic performance, then gained reinstatement while living out of his car and working three jobs to repay the scholarship.

He went on to become an All-American with the Bearcats his senior year and finished with 204 career receptions and 25 touchdowns scored. In his senior year he led the Bearcats, who went 12-0 and won the Big East conference before losing to Florida in the Sugar Bowl, in catches (87), receiving yards (1,191) and tied for the lead in touchdown receptions(11). He also scored three special teams touchdowns, two on kickoffs, and led Cincinnati in all-purpose yardage with 2,690.

Gilyard was drafted by St. Louis in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft and last season became the first FPC product to see regular season game action in the NFL.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/sports...pride.html

05-25-2011 12:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Gilyard article
I miss having that guy at UC.

05-25-2011 02:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
Nice find. Sounds like maybe Mardy is falling into a familiar habit of struggling early at a new level. Hopefully he repeats his history and gets it together in the NFL.

05-25-2011 02:45 PM
Advertisement

bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I hope IF things don't work out for Mardy in St. Louis that he gets a chance with the Bungles. He would make it worthwhile to start watching them more. Mardy is a class act and I am proud that he is a Bearcat for life.

05-26-2011 10:26 AM
bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I would appreicate if someone knows why all my posts are posting up twice in this forum again. It did it awhile back and then quit doing it. Now it's sending double again.

05-26-2011 10:28 AM
Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I Root For: UC & Bushmills
Folding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGDonatorsDonators
(05-26-2011 10:28 AM)bearcat54 Wrote:  I would appreicate if someone knows why all my posts are posting up twice in this forum again. It did it awhile back and then quit doing it. Now it's sending double again.

Are you hitting the spam the forum button? Cause where'd you find that? Seems odd. I'll forward on to the support staff.

05-26-2011 02:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.