Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN says Tressel resigned at OSU
Bookmark and Share
bearcat54 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
ESPN says Tressel resigned at OSU
espn broke the news just now. I have no idea if it's been confirmed. I don't see this changing many things at OSU because I always felt that the boosters are what has gotten things out of hand on OSU's campus. That program's cheating has run rampant for years. It won't stop at USC either. Too much money at stake. I'll feel better when I see Kentucky and Calipari nailed to the wall.

05-30-2011 08:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: ESPN says Tressel resigned at OSU
Wow... I guess it was bound to happen. Look for him to join the talking heads on College Football Live within the week. I guess that interim coach, forgot his name- was going to take over for the 5 game suspension next year, could probably be named HC.

05-30-2011 08:31 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
It's not just football at tO$U.

05-30-2011 08:32 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
I have a feeling he's getting thrown under the bus by the powers that be at tO$U in an effort to mitigate the oncoming ***** slap from the NCAA. Hopefully it doesn't work and they get nailed big time.

05-30-2011 08:43 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(05-30-2011 08:43 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  I have a feeling he's getting thrown under the bus by the powers that be at tO$U in an effort to mitigate the oncoming ***** slap from the NCAA. Hopefully it doesn't work and they get nailed big time.

I think you're right. O$U basically said, 'Resign or we'll fire you'. Pretty common practice. I don't think this will stop the NCAA from laying down the long d*ck of the law as I don't think the buck necessarily stopped at Tressel.

05-30-2011 08:48 AM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
Based on President Gee's statement, it appears that sweatervest was asked to step down.

05-30-2011 08:59 AM
Advertisement

Kenyon#4 Away
Retired

I Root For: Bearcats
(05-30-2011 08:43 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  I have a feeling he's getting thrown under the bus by the powers that be at tO$U in an effort to mitigate the oncoming ***** slap from the NCAA. Hopefully it doesn't work and they get nailed big time.

Yep, he's taking the fall so the program doesn't get hammered. They should have been cited for lack of instutional control already, but weren't. My guess is either they found more violations that aren't public yet, or the NCAA let them know if they keep Tressel, the hammer is going to get dropped on you.

The idea that Gene Smith and others in the program had no idea about any of this is total laughable, the crap going on with that program has been common knowledge for years.

05-30-2011 09:02 AM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
They need a coach to come in and clean up the program. They need one that has experience cleaning up other's mess. They need a coach that has knowledge of the Big 10/11/12. They need a coach that has a player handbook on personal responsibilities. They need......

Mark Dantonio. And there would be much rejoicing...in Clifton. 02-13-banana

05-30-2011 09:20 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Maybe @Ohio State in 2012 won't be so bad. Then again Butch is still our coach......

05-30-2011 10:18 AM
BearcatDave Offline
All American

I Root For:
Wow, just wow. As much as i hate OSU or their fans in particular, i feel bad for Tressel.

05-30-2011 11:10 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(05-30-2011 11:10 AM)BearcatDave Wrote:  Wow, just wow. As much as i hate OSU or their fans in particular, i feel bad for Tressel.

Why? He broke NCAA rules over and over again and, more so, lied to the NCAA and possibly the Feds. If that doesn't warrant a firing (and trust me he was more or less fired), I don't know what is.

05-30-2011 11:13 AM
Advertisement

socTHEgreat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Accountability
I'm somewhat surprised by the timing and almost disappointed at how soon it happened purely just because of my high disdain for that school. Clearly obvious it was going to happen and I just laugh at the OSU fans that are blown away by this news but my disappointment comes from that fact it is clearly an attempt from the BoT's and prez to show the NCAA that they are willing to make the tough decisions and hopefully reduce their inevitable punishment.

05-30-2011 11:40 AM
BearcatDave Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-30-2011 11:13 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  
(05-30-2011 11:10 AM)BearcatDave Wrote:  Wow, just wow. As much as i hate OSU or their fans in particular, i feel bad for Tressel.

Why? He broke NCAA rules over and over again and, more so, lied to the NCAA and possibly the Feds. If that doesn't warrant a firing (and trust me he was more or less fired), I don't know what is.

Yesi guess whenyou put it that way. And much of tressels nice guy act was kind of contrived to portray a cleaner image than reality.

Wonder if we have reached meltdown of the buckeye message boards? That must be a train wreck!

05-30-2011 11:43 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats

The only thing I feel bad about is that it didn't drag out even longer and thus do more damage to the program and it's recruiting.

BTW, it's no coincidence this was announced on a holiday...

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2011 11:53 AM by JackieTreehorn.)
05-30-2011 11:45 AM
socTHEgreat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Accountability
(05-30-2011 11:45 AM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  

The only thing I feel bad about is that it didn't drag out even longer and thus do more damage to the program and it's recruiting.

That's kind of where I stand. I just couldn't see Jimmy going into another living room with any credibility.

05-30-2011 11:48 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Today is just the start of what is going to be a mess. There is still the NCAA, a lame duck coach, and the tatoo five on campus. As Bearcat fans we know what happened to our basketball program so I am not wishing ill on any school.

It almost never ends well for college coaches. Huggins at UC, Knight at IU, and Tressel at Ohio State are the are some the regional legends that at times could have owned the place. Trust me the list is longer than this.

Usually the coach is at fault but the players and administration are part of the problem as well.

UC needs to use this while its still fresh in the minds of recruits.

05-30-2011 11:55 AM
Advertisement

DelhiBearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wholesome Chat
[Image: lincolntresselBIG.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-30-2011 12:03 PM by DelhiBearcat.)
05-30-2011 11:56 AM
DelhiBearcat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wholesome Chat
(05-30-2011 11:55 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  It almost never ends well for college coaches. Huggins at UC, Knight at IU, and Tressel at Ohio State are the are some the regional legends that at times could have owned the place. Trust me the list is longer than this.

Huggins and Knight got rammed from within. Tressel's a cheating, lying, POS. Watch out Thad!

05-30-2011 12:01 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Hopefully this will help UC in some recruiting aspects, maybe maybe not.

05-30-2011 12:01 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
(05-30-2011 11:40 AM)socTHEgreat Wrote:  I'm somewhat surprised by the timing and almost disappointed at how soon it happened purely just because of my high disdain for that school. Clearly obvious it was going to happen and I just laugh at the OSU fans that are blown away by this news but my disappointment comes from that fact it is clearly an attempt from the BoT's and prez to show the NCAA that they are willing to make the tough decisions and hopefully reduce their inevitable punishment.

Spot on analysis SOC

05-30-2011 12:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.