Why don't O$U and UC play? (basketball)
Bookmark and Share
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
Why don't O$U and UC play? (basketball)
Good to see its been picked up the national media. Here's the article:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/...aab-wp3101

Mick: "I have friends that have coached at Ohio State and they were basically told, 'You're not playing Cincinnati.' It's been a longstanding historical decision from their school."

06-01-2011 01:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
RE: Why don't O$U and UC play? (basketball)
I think this is pretty telling as well...

Quote:"The contract was signed by the outgoing athletic director two weeks after Bob Huggins was fired," Cronin said. "Surmise what you want to surmise on that one."

06-01-2011 01:40 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Wow, thanks for the link. That's one series I'd like to see picked up.

06-01-2011 02:08 PM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
Those pouty bastards in Colombus still can't get over 50 years ago.

06-01-2011 02:28 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
I wish people understood that Ohio State is bad for the state of Ohio because they refuse to play other top Ohio schools in sports like basketball or football without the conditions rigged.

You also can't forget that Ohio State tries its best to hold the academics of other state schools as well. Flagship more like sinking ship.

06-01-2011 02:46 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
We go through this mindless argument year after year, ad infinitum, ad nauseum, and never a conclusion.

06-01-2011 02:55 PM
Advertisement

kyucat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Ohio State always wonders why they are not liked in southwest Ohio.

OSU only schedules games when they know its going to be a win. If there was a consistant scheduled game between the two UC would win a larger percent of the games and they know it.
OSU does not realize that most folks outside of Ohio thinks OSU is premadonna program. When there coach says they like to schedule premier games out side of Ohio and then in the same breath includes Butler you know what a joke there program is and what a joke Thad is and a coward. He remembers playing Cincy when he was at X and that playing UC is like going to the dentist. It not a happy experience.

06-01-2011 03:54 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
OSU rarely tries to schedule top instate games. This isn't anything against those programs and maybe it's not a good decision, but it's because of the nature of what OSU is. Ohio State has an ability to draw recruits and fans from across the state. This doesn't mean it's dominant everywhere (certainly not in the southwest), but its name carries across the state regardless. If it starts creating instate rivalries in a big sport like basketball, it risks spilling over into other sports. In the NIT a few years ago, we played Dayton and I loved the game as there was good crowds for both sides and cheering and chanting between sections. At the same time though, I'm sure the AD has to be aware that most of those UD basketball fans are also Ohio State football fans. The absolute last thing that the athletic department will want to risk is turning Dayton fans against Ohio State because of a few basketball games.

I'm not saying in the end whether this is a good or bad strategy, but Ohio State has made its identity as a school representing the state (not necessarily the only school) and a lot of instate rivalries is not consistent with that identity.

In the end of the day, I'm not sure it's actually all that bad for any involved. Ohio State doesn't need the other instate schools to be successful and for the most part, they don't need Ohio State either. They've been running in different circles for a long time and it's generally worked out for most schools (at for UC, UD, and X).

06-01-2011 10:21 PM
righthook Offline
Special Teams

(06-01-2011 02:46 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  I wish people understood that Ohio State is bad for the state of Ohio because they refuse to play other top Ohio schools in sports like basketball or football without the conditions rigged.

You also can't forget that Ohio State tries its best to hold the academics of other state schools as well. Flagship more like sinking ship.

The academics thing is not just an OSU thing, but a general Big Ten thing. They made such a big deal of AAU membeship when looking to expand. The ironic thing is they added Nebraska and Nebraska just got kicked out of the AAU.

06-02-2011 08:39 AM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
(06-02-2011 08:39 AM)righthook Wrote:  
(06-01-2011 02:46 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  I wish people understood that Ohio State is bad for the state of Ohio because they refuse to play other top Ohio schools in sports like basketball or football without the conditions rigged.

The academics thing is not just an OSU thing, but a general Big Ten thing. They made such a big deal of AAU membeship when looking to expand. The ironic thing is they added Nebraska and Nebraska just got kicked out of the AAU.

I read somewhere recently that UC gets more research $ than 16 current members of the AAU.

06-02-2011 09:31 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(06-01-2011 10:21 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  In the end of the day, I'm not sure it's actually all that bad for any involved. Ohio State doesn't need the other instate schools to be successful and for the most part, they don't need Ohio State either. They've been running in different circles for a long time and it's generally worked out for most schools (at for UC, UD, and X).

Thanks for posting. And this is pretty much it. After 2014, we need to just end the football series, if you bother to even call it that. I've said it again and again. If OSU isn't interested in playing us on an even playing field, then why should we chase them around like a little brother, only to get disadvantaged schedules (football), and the worst basketball matchup possible (OSU finally playing when UC has decimated roster)?

Our obsession for OSU right now is just as bad as OSU's for Huggins while UC basketball was on the rise. It's best that the two schools ignore one another.

06-02-2011 09:40 AM
Advertisement

kyucat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(06-02-2011 09:40 AM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  
(06-01-2011 10:21 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  In the end of the day, I'm not sure it's actually all that bad for any involved. Ohio State doesn't need the other instate schools to be successful and for the most part, they don't need Ohio State either. They've been running in different circles for a long time and it's generally worked out for most schools (at for UC, UD, and X).

Thanks for posting. And this is pretty much it. After 2014, we need to just end the football series, if you bother to even call it that. I've said it again and again. If OSU isn't interested in playing us on an even playing field, then why should we chase them around like a little brother, only to get disadvantaged schedules (football), and the worst basketball matchup possible (OSU finally playing when UC has decimated roster)?

Our obsession for OSU right now is just as bad as OSU's for Huggins while UC basketball was on the rise. It's best that the two schools ignore one another.

Playing OSU in 2012 may be fun. OSU will be on probation by then and will lose scholarships and will not be in any bowl discussions. The shoe may be on the other foot in 2012. Which will give UC a chance make a statement. If UC happens to win that game look for OSU to try to drop the 2014 game. When they refused to play at Paul Brown in 2012 I think it showed everyone the character of the school and the
athletic administration. Or should I say lack of character.
Interesting there cheating goes back to 2002 when UC should have beaten OSU at Paul Brown.

06-02-2011 01:52 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(06-01-2011 10:21 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  OSU rarely tries to schedule top instate games. This isn't anything against those programs and maybe it's not a good decision, but it's because of the nature of what OSU is. Ohio State has an ability to draw recruits and fans from across the state. This doesn't mean it's dominant everywhere (certainly not in the southwest), but its name carries across the state regardless. If it starts creating instate rivalries in a big sport like basketball, it risks spilling over into other sports. In the NIT a few years ago, we played Dayton and I loved the game as there was good crowds for both sides and cheering and chanting between sections. At the same time though, I'm sure the AD has to be aware that most of those UD basketball fans are also Ohio State football fans. The absolute last thing that the athletic department will want to risk is turning Dayton fans against Ohio State because of a few basketball games.

I'm not saying in the end whether this is a good or bad strategy, but Ohio State has made its identity as a school representing the state (not necessarily the only school) and a lot of instate rivalries is not consistent with that identity.

In the end of the day, I'm not sure it's actually all that bad for any involved. Ohio State doesn't need the other instate schools to be successful and for the most part, they don't need Ohio State either. They've been running in different circles for a long time and it's generally worked out for most schools (at for UC, UD, and X).

fair enough. whether we like it or not, they are the flagship university for the state. but you're probably right, in the long run we all come out even. we've got an in state rivalry already. does osu have a basketball rival? calling osu cowards for not playing us, doesn't really mean anything. well for me and probably countless other bearcat fans it does. just gives more reason to loathe the state's flagship university.

06-03-2011 03:04 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Guys...we don't need OSU (and they don't need us). We play hoops in THE toughest basketball conference in the nation. We have a basketball tradition that is better than 90% of the programs out there (as does OSU). Would it be cool to have an annual basketball rivalry...sure. But either way, as the osu fan put it, we've run in different circles for years and it's worked out. We have both been up, both been down. At the end of the day UC basketball will survive and thrive like it always has....

I will add that having said all that, playing them when they had one of their best teams in decades and we had a gutted team full of less than players STILL pisses me off......esp after totally ducking us when Huggs was here knowing we would have mauled them most of those years. Matta snuck in, sucker punched us and then moved out. In my book the man "owes" us another game...but it ain't happening.

06-04-2011 08:19 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

(06-01-2011 10:21 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  OSU rarely tries to schedule top instate games. This isn't anything against those programs and maybe it's not a good decision, but it's because of the nature of what OSU is. Ohio State has an ability to draw recruits and fans from across the state. This doesn't mean it's dominant everywhere (certainly not in the southwest), but its name carries across the state regardless. If it starts creating instate rivalries in a big sport like basketball, it risks spilling over into other sports. In the NIT a few years ago, we played Dayton and I loved the game as there was good crowds for both sides and cheering and chanting between sections. At the same time though, I'm sure the AD has to be aware that most of those UD basketball fans are also Ohio State football fans. The absolute last thing that the athletic department will want to risk is turning Dayton fans against Ohio State because of a few basketball games.

Can't argue with your logic here....I think what makes UC fans mad is that OSU fails to recognize Cincy as "different" than the other schools in state...ie you lump us with "everyone else" when in fact we are different. In football we are the only other BCS program in state (recently yes) and in basketball we have as good if not better basketball tradition than anybody else, including OSU (depending on what you use as your metrics here). So i think it's perceived lack of respect that fuels this...at least from the UC fans that I know.

06-04-2011 08:22 AM
Overrated Offline
All American

(06-04-2011 08:22 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

Can't argue with your logic here....I think what makes UC fans mad is that OSU fails to recognize Cincy as "different" than the other schools in state...ie you lump us with "everyone else" when in fact we are different. In football we are the only other BCS program in state (recently yes) and in basketball we have as good if not better basketball tradition than anybody else, including OSU (depending on what you use as your metrics here). So i think it's perceived lack of respect that fuels this...at least from the UC fans that I know.

They chose to play us when everyone in the country knew we would be at our absolute worst, while declining every other opportunity.

That is what pisses me off at least. That and moving the location of the football game.

06-06-2011 10:29 AM
Advertisement

socTHEgreat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Accountability
(06-06-2011 10:29 AM)Overrated Wrote:  

They chose to play us when everyone in the country knew we would be at our absolute worst, while declining every other opportunity.

That is what pisses me off at least. That and moving the location of the football game.

x2. That is what fueled my hatred for them.

06-06-2011 10:55 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

agreed guys...it's too bad we couldn't play other years there would have been some great games.....and for the record there were a few years that we would have clubbed them as well. Oh well...as I said, we don't "need" the game...we play a ton of other teams that are big time national programs in our own conference.

06-06-2011 06:44 PM
50Cent Offline
Heisman

Agreed uc doesn't need to play OSU. I'd frankly rather play games against teams from other parts of country and increase uc's brand reach. Screw OSU and its cheating coaches and boosters.

06-06-2011 07:12 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
(06-06-2011 10:55 AM)socTHEgreat Wrote:  
(06-06-2011 10:29 AM)Overrated Wrote:  

x2. That is what fueled my hatred for them.

x3 They attacked like a vulture. Everyone in Cincinnati and Columbus knew how we were going to be and Matta said, "Let's fu*k them while the time is good, and never play again. Typical.

06-06-2011 08:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.