Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will Miami get the death penalty?
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Will Miami get the death penalty?
It's hard to imagine more egregious violations than this. Bounties for injuring players... Felony offense activity... Abortions...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/shapi...miami.html
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2011 11:48 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
08-18-2011 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RE: Will Miami get the death penalty?
08-18-2011 11:37 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Now that Florida has lots of Div IA teams, they might.
08-18-2011 11:41 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
CBS sports seems to think that if Miami gets the death penalty it will be the end of the NCAA. But if they don't slam Miami hard, the government could step in and take over for the NCAA. IMO there's just too much money and sentiment among the fans (i.e. voters) for them to sit idle, while a few large schools divvy up the nation amongst themselves - at the expense of the rest of the schools in the NCAA...
08-18-2011 12:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jesterondirt Offline
Real racing happens on dirt!

I Root For: GoldenHurricane
I would almost bet this doesnt turn into as big a deal as one would currently think. maybe lose some scholarships, tv appearances and no bowl games for a couple years. Possibly even lose all non-conference games for a year. Not going to pull the plug completely though.
08-18-2011 02:02 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
yeah, college players are all about the game. It's only the pro players who are in it just for the money.
08-18-2011 02:16 PM
Advertisement

HoustonCougarNation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cougars, Frogs
Yes, Yes, and Yes!!!

Kill Them!!!!
08-18-2011 02:43 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
No death penalty. They saw what happened to SMU, and won't do it again. Also, the offenses aren't as serious IMO. One out of control booster, complicit coaching staff, and players who took the gifts.

Logically, you punish people that didn't do anything wrong, right?
---------

Put pressure on the schools employing the complicit coaches to fire them (I'd hope they had something like that in a contract). Keep those who aren't employed from getting another collegiate position, ever. Remove the players that accepted gifts. etc. etc. etc. Don't punish the current class of innocents any more than a post season ban and a few scholarships.
08-18-2011 02:58 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

That's not what the head of the NCAA said recently. He said the death penalty is an option. If the committee recommends that as the punishment, he's okay with it...
08-18-2011 03:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
do you think the ACC is happy about expanding for football?
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2011 03:15 PM by flyingswoosh.)
08-18-2011 03:14 PM

(08-18-2011 03:14 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  do you think the ACC is happy about expanding for football?

With how it turned out? No.
Compared to without expansion? Absolutely.

It has generated substantially more money for each school. Moreover, I think the trend line is unmistakable. We're heading for 6 mega conferences: PAC-16, ACC (16), Big Ten (16), SEC (16), Western Remnants (??), Eastern Remnants (??). Then you'll be left with C-USA in the southeast ... MAC in the northeast and great lakes ... and MWC in the west. The WAC and Sun Belt might not make it out alive.
08-18-2011 11:25 PM
Advertisement

(08-18-2011 02:58 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  No death penalty. They saw what happened to SMU, and won't do it again.

I think that's an empty argument. The NCAA has used the Death Penalty twice in the last 10 years.
08-18-2011 11:25 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Mark Emmert says the death penalty is an option and he's okay with it...

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry...8/31398694
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2011 07:43 AM by bitcruncher.)
08-19-2011 07:43 AM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!
[Image: 89965d1309555038-somebody-needs-make-happen-picard.jpg]

It's not like Miami has been a squeaky clean program over the course of decades either.
08-19-2011 08:18 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
YOU have to do something. This makes Tressel look like Mr. Rodgers getting busted for jaywalking. I can't wait for an in depth colonoscopy in some of these SEC schools. Nevin said they wouldn't even go the route of buying recruits because the SEC public schools would bury them in money. The cost benefit analysis
has to weigh punishment as a deterrent.
08-19-2011 08:32 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

With all the scandals that have happened in the NCAA of late, and the fact that Miami's former AD (while Shapiro was running rampant in Miami) was the man who made the ruling on USC, it may force the NCAA's hand. Such hypocricy demands action...
08-19-2011 08:46 AM
Advertisement

Dub591 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SEC, ACC
The tendrils of this scandal reach in many directions, as Miami crumbles so will bits and pieces of many programs. No, I don't think Miami goes away, borderline Death Penalty. 30 scholarships gone for five years, no bowls during period, no playoff games during the period. Only one televised game. Basketball will serve lesser penalties depending on the investigation ...

It's the players, coaches, and administrators who are now in other institutions which will cause stacks of cards to waver.
08-19-2011 10:43 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
The NCAA lacks the balls to do it.

Should they? YES. Will they? NO. They protect the BCS teams that make them money. Vacating wins from seasons past...w/e you still played the game and got the money. Until they start docking scholarships, future bowls, future tv money, and serious stuff along those lines no team has a a dis-incentive to cheat.
08-19-2011 10:47 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(08-19-2011 08:32 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  YOU have to do something. This makes Tressel look like Mr. Rodgers getting busted for jaywalking. I can't wait for an in depth colonoscopy in some of these SEC schools. Nevin said they wouldn't even go the route of buying recruits because the SEC public schools would bury them in money. The cost benefit analysis

Rubbish. SEC schools that get caught are punished, and it's happened many times before. Admit it, you just don't like the SEC beating up on your little schools up North.
08-19-2011 11:02 AM
Quote this message in a reply
BlazerFromMD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, USNA
(08-19-2011 11:02 AM)Rebel Wrote:  
(08-19-2011 08:32 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  YOU have to do something. This makes Tressel look like Mr. Rodgers getting busted for jaywalking. I can't wait for an in depth colonoscopy in some of these SEC schools. Nevin said they wouldn't even go the route of buying recruits because the SEC public schools would bury them in money. The cost benefit analysis

Rubbish. SEC schools that get caught are punished, and it's happened many times before. Admit it, you just don't like the SEC beating up on your little schools up North.

That's a key element right there. The fact that "it's happened many times before" means that the punishments against the SEC teams haven't been serious enough to make them change their ways. Hell, it seems like they just spend the time on punishment laying the groundwork for their next scam so that they can win a championship as soon as they get off probation.
08-20-2011 07:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.