Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The end for Apple: Steve Jobs resigns
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
The end for Apple: Steve Jobs resigns
And so begins their long slow slide back into oblivion.
08-25-2011 10:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
RE: The end for Apple: Steve Jobs resigns
(08-25-2011 10:27 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  And so begins their long slow slide back into oblivion.

We shall see if he was truly the innovator if he was just credited with all of the innovations.
08-25-2011 10:57 AM

(08-25-2011 10:57 AM)mlb Wrote:  
(08-25-2011 10:27 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  And so begins their long slow slide back into oblivion.

We shall see if he was truly the innovator if he was just credited with all of the innovations.

He is a micromanager to the nth degree. And that pushes out innovation.

And he's already lost his best industrial designers.
08-25-2011 11:07 AM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
Innovation is created by micromanagement? Don't think so personally.
08-25-2011 11:12 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
If you guys will remember, Steve Jobs resigned once before. Apple lost ground to Microsoft, so he came back. We'll see what happens this time around. But if history is any indication, it doesn't look good for Apple...
08-25-2011 12:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
they'll be fine
08-25-2011 01:17 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(08-25-2011 12:18 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  If you guys will remember, Steve Jobs resigned once before. Apple lost ground to Microsoft, so he came back. We'll see what happens this time around. But if history is any indication, it doesn't look good for Apple...

He didn't resign... he got run out of his own company. And he got run out AFTER Apple had already fallen behind Microsoft.
08-25-2011 02:20 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU

As much as I'd like to see the new Apple CEO knock it out of the park (Auburn Grad from Mobile and openly Gay), Apple has a few challenges ahead.

1) Apple's model of low/no customer service is fine when you are selling a 'niche product' to techies who love interacting with other users to find the secret way to fix their own problems. Its less of a good idea when one is looking to retain a mass market share. There is a limited demand for people willing to pay a LARGE premium in order to have to wait for 2 hours at the Idiot Bar at the mall to attempt to solve technical issues.

2) Apple's products tend to command about a 100% premium over similar products/technologies. Eventually, they'll lose ground to cheaper competitors unless they can continue to bring out real new technology (and no, the next iPad version isn't going to drive massive new sales unless there is dramatic new technology).

3) Apple's product line may be reaching saturation as far as the developed market goes. They aren't going to be able to GROW earnings in the developed world with their prices. Which leads into the next problem

4) Apple's stock price is predicated on massive earnings growth. Those levels of earnings growth are harder to produce from an already high earnings base. Once that earnings GROWTH rate drops, the stock, which may be overpriced to begin with, will fall dramatically as the PE multiplier falls.
08-25-2011 02:29 PM

(08-25-2011 11:12 AM)mlb Wrote:  Innovation is created by micromanagement? Don't think so personally.

It works if the micromanager is an innovator. It comes at the price of eliminating other innovators in the system.

(08-25-2011 01:17 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  they'll be fine

They have enough momentum to coast for awhile. But much like 3 AM at a frat party, the crowd will thin before you know it and eventually there's just a mess to clean up.
08-25-2011 05:03 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(08-25-2011 02:29 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

As much as I'd like to see the new Apple CEO knock it out of the park (Auburn Grad from Mobile and openly Gay), Apple has a few challenges ahead.

cook might be gay, but certainly not open about it
08-26-2011 07:39 AM
SouthGAEagle Offline
Overzealous Admin

I Root For: Mercer & USM

SkunkworksDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesSurvivor Champion
Today's The Joy of Tech cartoon:

[Image: 1583.jpg]
08-29-2011 09:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.