Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"ND likely to say no"...says Jack Swarbrick
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
"ND likely to say no"...says Jack Swarbrick
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/s..._like.html

Hopefully, this will kill some of the wild speculation.
08-29-2011 11:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SO#1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Connecticut
RE: "ND likely to say no"...says Jack Swarbrick
Hopefully follow by BYU say no

Allow ESPN and FOX ripe up their contracts
08-29-2011 11:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
The ironic thing is people on this board have bashed the Irish because they don't play football in the BIG EAST. What is now becoming apparent is the Irish stance on maintaining it Indy status is going to end up saving the league and is putting the league in a stronger position in regards to possible TV Contracts.
08-29-2011 11:16 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I have been saying that for quite a while now.
08-29-2011 11:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I want BYU to stay independent. I would like to see Texas go that route as well.

I think it would make things more interesting.

I would like to also see Texas and ND play each other fairly often.
08-29-2011 11:18 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
I doubt ND ever had any intention of not staying INDY. It is a good thing they said so publicly cause by staying quiet all it does is fueling more speculations. Like Jack said, most of the speculations and rumors are pure garbage. Oliver Luck also said in a recent article that WVU had no talks with SEC or ACC. Regardless, there will be multiple threads on the expansion forum stating WVU is in secret discussion with the ACC and WVU.

Football season starts this Thursday, finally!
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2011 01:05 PM by SF Husky.)
08-29-2011 12:01 PM
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
ND is not giving up games with Michigan and Purdue to play Baylor and TTech. This was a non-starter from the get-go.
08-29-2011 12:02 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-29-2011 12:02 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  ND is not giving up games with Michigan and Purdue to play Baylor and TTech. This was a non-starter from the get-go.

You are dead on, but you would not believe the number of Texans that believe, I mean TRULY believe, that Texas Tech is right behind UT, A&M and ND in national stature. I've tried to explain to them that, outside of Texas, most people don't even know Texas Tech has a football team. They are really in shock when I explain this.
08-29-2011 12:44 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(08-29-2011 11:17 AM)TerryD Wrote:  I have been saying that for quite a while now.

You're right Terry....and if this is the case I will actually stop bashing ND and callng you guys leeches 03-nerner
08-29-2011 12:50 PM
Frog Brother Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: TCU
(08-29-2011 12:44 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  
(08-29-2011 12:02 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  ND is not giving up games with Michigan and Purdue to play Baylor and TTech. This was a non-starter from the get-go.

You are dead on, but you would not believe the number of Texas Tceh fans that believe, I mean TRULY believe, that Texas Tech is right behind UT, A&M and ND in national stature. I've tried to explain to them that, outside of Texas, most people don't even know Texas Tech has a football team. They are really in shock when I explain this.

Fixed it for you.

[Image: TCEH-634K.jpg]
08-29-2011 01:51 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

(08-29-2011 01:51 PM)Frog Brother Wrote:  
(08-29-2011 12:44 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  

You are dead on, but you would not believe the number of Texas Tceh fans that believe, I mean TRULY believe, that Texas Tech is right behind UT, A&M and ND in national stature. I've tried to explain to them that, outside of Texas, most people don't even know Texas Tech has a football team. They are really in shock when I explain this.

Fixed it for you.

[Image: TCEH-634K.jpg]

Ironically, that is what most other schools' grads think of a TTceh, I means TTech, grad. 04-cheers
08-29-2011 06:21 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
These two quotes are the most intriguing to me:

“Our priority — and our clear priority — is maintaining our football independence and continuing to build our relationship with the Big East with our other sports,” Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said Monday morning when asked if there was a viable chance his school could join the Big 12 now or in the near future.

“I don’t know if it would ever be an annual game, but we do want to play more games with Texas and play them in more sports,” Swarbrick said. “Both schools are committed to athletic programs that have excellence.”

I believe someone speculated about Texas going indy if Big 12 folds and possibly joining Big East for their other sports. This could result in a nearly annual ND-UT game (one for NBC and one for ESPN) and UT and ND playing more olympic sports together.

Also, there have been rumors of a possible 22 team Big East. 03-puke

Wonder if this model is 12 football playing members and 10 bb playing members headed by ND and UT?

I'd hate it myself, but this could at least be a possible foundation for that rumor.

Cheers,
Neil
08-29-2011 08:56 PM
TheJayBo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Myself
(08-29-2011 11:16 AM)Maize Wrote:  The ironic thing is people on this board have bashed the Irish because they don't play football in the BIG EAST. What is now becoming apparent is the Irish stance on maintaining it Indy status is going to end up saving the league and is putting the league in a stronger position in regards to possible TV Contracts.

Educate me. How is Notre Dame going to "save" the league?
08-29-2011 09:05 PM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

ND will not join the Big 10 but will stay independent in football.

No Big Ten expansion, no poaching of Pitt, Syracuse and/or Rutgers.

ND wants a strong BE for basketball and Olympic sports.

It works with NBC/Comcast and the BE on a new TV deal.
08-29-2011 09:45 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(08-29-2011 09:45 PM)TerryD Wrote:  ND will not join the Big 10 but will stay independent in football.

Exactly...couldn"t explain it btr myself. 04-bow04-cheers04-bow
08-29-2011 10:28 PM
thatsnotgrass Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BEast!!!!
ND also wants a northeast presence and the Big East provides that.
08-29-2011 10:29 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-29-2011 12:44 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  I've tried to explain to them that, outside of Texas, most people don't even know Texas Tech has a football team. They are really in shock when I explain this.

02-13-banana 03-lmfao
08-30-2011 02:04 PM
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
(08-29-2011 09:45 PM)TerryD Wrote:  ND will not join the Big 10 but will stay independent in football.

I wish more people realized this. Not just those who swear ND will join "their" conference, but BE fans who want to give ND the old heave-ho because they refuse to be all-in (not that that's even possible, because our agreement with them explicitly states otherwise):
ND will not join another conference in football, and ND's presence in the BE works to our advantage. If there's a major change in the BE's future membership, it won't be because of anything ND did.
08-30-2011 02:26 PM
OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
Independent schedule doesn't help Notre Dame these days. They haven't won a BCS bowl in years. They haven't been to a BCS bowl lately either. Meanwhile UConn and Cincinnati are playing in BCS bowls. Notre Dame has become more like Army and Navy in football where they play a lot of games all over the map and struggle to get bowl eligible. Notre Dame is more about the $$$$ than winning football these days. After two loses Notre Dame has nothing to play for. They don't have rivalry games like the old days. Playing Notre Dame these days doesn't help a team get to a BCS bowl. Those teams can do that by winning their confernces. Notre Dame game means less to Pitt than playing Rutgers or UConn for a conference title. Someday the powers at Notre Dame will realize this and join the Big East for football. They aren't good enough for the Big Ten and the Big East already has the olympic sports.
08-31-2011 12:24 AM
TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

Wow, way to troll.

ND bows to your wisdom, dude.

Let's see how they do the next couple pf years before making such grand pronouncements.
08-31-2011 05:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.