Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Rumor from the WVU board about the league's future
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:The train may be leaving the station and Pitt may not have a seat. Last week both Pitt and Cuse voted to not pursue a "breakaway at this time". The simple show of hands was meant to gauge the trend and had no official basis, but even still, Pitt and Cuse (clutching ever tightly to that ND deal and promise) voted no, while the other 6 voted yes.

The ND deal is if Pitt and Cuse block any move to form a new conference, ND will keep them on the schedule. If the other teams should breakaway, Pitt and Cuse would declare football independance status, but retain Big East basketball affiliation. They would then, in football play each other, ND, Army, Navy, and Temple rounding out the other games with an ACC game or MAC/CUSA Chum.

<a href='http://westvirginia.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=33&mid=55483051&sid=&tid=55482277&style=1' target='_blank'>http://westvirginia.rivals.com/showmsg.asp...5482277&style=1</a>
07-26-2005 08:35 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Its impossible in the current bowl situation for either Pitt nor Syracuse to play as independent. You think theyll ever see a BCS spot? Right now both schools know that as long as BE retains the BCS bid theyll have a good shot at a BCS Bowl and money commng in yearly. They split that dries out.
07-26-2005 08:43 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

This is obviously some dumb internet rumor that is totally baseless. Neither Pitt nor Cuse has the juice to be independant. We know that, the adm. knows that, and the other BE instituitons know this. Not even worth discussing.
07-26-2005 08:50 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:This is obviously some dumb internet rumor that is totally baseless. Neither Pitt nor Cuse has the juice to be independant. We know that, the adm. knows that, and the other BE instituitons know this. Not even worth discussing.

-- I agree that the independent stuff is off base....but you honestly can't see ND making such an offer to Pitt and Cuse in exchange for "no"votes? I think that would be well within the character of the Irish

Jackson
07-26-2005 08:57 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

i don't believe a word of it. This rumor must have been started by a ND fan. Pitt and Syracuse so desperate to play ND that in order to keep the series with ND they would leave a BCS league and play as indys if needed???? puh-leeze. someone is delusional. pitt and syracuse are very proud programs, and they would not be pulled around on a leash like that by ND.

Also, why would there even be a vote about a split right now, when every scrap of info coming out of the BE is that no split is forthcoming any time soon. MT isn't going to publicly proclaim that every 5 seconds if it weren't true. Otherwise, he would look pretty stupid.
07-26-2005 09:07 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:This is obviously some dumb internet rumor that is totally baseless. Neither Pitt nor Cuse has the juice to be independant. We know that, the adm. knows that, and the other BE instituitons know this. Not even worth discussing.

-- I agree that the independent stuff is off base....but you honestly can't see ND making such an offer to Pitt and Cuse in exchange for "no"votes? I think that would be well within the character of the Irish

Jackson
I think that Pitt and Cuse leaders know that the success and future of the their programs is largely tied up with the success of the BE. To put that much import on a game with ND as opposed to what is best for the BE is silly. Syracuse has never had a problem scheduling prestigious ooc opponents, and I doubt that Pitt has had many problems in that area either, so it just seems unlikely that they need so badly to schedule ND that they would be willing to ignore what is best for the BE.

I just do not think that what is said on the internet by someone who has "contacts' to be credible.
07-26-2005 09:10 PM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

MIC's is, how shall I say, not the most precise source out there. I remember him from 3 years ago. That said, I'd like to see this conference succeed because I have a fondness for its members but if things don't work out Louisville will be fine. Fine indeed. It does bother me that some seem so eager to jump ship. I can tell you from experience they have no idea how good they've got it. If they were to pull something like going indy it would be akin to Tulane voluntarily leaving the SEC back in the olden days.
07-26-2005 09:18 PM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF

He goes on to say that Kentucky is leaving the SEC for the Big East, that the Big 12 is going to split, that we couldn't take ECU because the ACC would get mad at us, that if we can't lure Kentucky or Syracuse, we're going to add Marshall, and that CUSA/WAC/MWC will become 2 conferences.
It's a little hard to believe that he knows all of that in advance.
Also, I just don't see us picking off an SEC school. If anything, they would be picking us off.
It's all just too much...no way all of that is going to be announced in the next 2 years.
07-26-2005 09:25 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

That is the same message board that said that Vanderbilt was about to be kicked from the SEC and West Virginia was going to be invited to the SEC. It's also the same message board that said that Cincinnati is close to being kicked out of the Big East and that Kentucky has interest in joining the conference. And this is coming from the board's alleged "insiders". That's what I don't believe a word that comes from that message board anymore. I seriously doubt that Syracuse and Pitt would put the health of their conference and athletic program and university overall in danger just for a few games with Notre Dame.
07-27-2005 05:25 AM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

Cat's_Claw Wrote:That is the same message board that said that Vanderbilt was about to be kicked from the SEC and West Virginia was going to be invited to the SEC. It's also the same message board that said that Cincinnati is close to being kicked out of the Big East and that Kentucky has interest in joining the conference. And this is coming from the board's alleged "insiders". That's what I don't believe a word that comes from that message board anymore. I seriously doubt that Syracuse and Pitt would put the health of their conference and athletic program and university overall in danger just for a few games with Notre Dame.
Exactly, I can't see the Irish even being that underhanded and arrogant first off. Second, I don't think that Pitt and Cuse are stupid enough to place games with the Domers over the good of their programs.
07-27-2005 07:52 AM
Woodycuse Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Just a complete load of internet garbage. Nothing more.
07-27-2005 09:37 AM
Pittusmc Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I concur....freakin garbage.....Lets all have a drink to that! 04-cheers
07-27-2005 12:03 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

04-cheers 04-drinky 04-cheers
07-27-2005 12:41 PM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Wilkie01 Wrote:04-cheers&nbsp; 04-drinky&nbsp; 04-cheers
Hey Wilkie...ever notice that if the source states something bad about the Big East...it it is unreliable and not true....but if it says something good about the Big East.....it's true and can't be questioned?...ROTFLOL!....... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
07-27-2005 01:12 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

O.G. Eagle Wrote:
Wilkie01 Wrote:04-cheers  04-drinky  04-cheers
Hey Wilkie...ever notice that if the source states something bad about the Big East...it it is unreliable and not true....but if it says something good about the Big East.....it's true and can't be questioned?...ROTFLOL!....... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The only thing I notice is that you're good at coming over here and making an @ss out of yourself in a Big East thread. You seem to have that mastered.
07-27-2005 04:29 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
O.G. Eagle Wrote:
Wilkie01 Wrote:04-cheers&nbsp; 04-drinky&nbsp; 04-cheers
The only thing I notice is that you're good at coming over here and making an @ss out of yourself in a Big East thread. You seem to have that mastered.
Now that was a classic CatsClaw. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 04-bow 04-bow
07-27-2005 07:33 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

O. G. Eagles just wishes hw was in the Big East, instead of CDOA! 04-cheers
07-27-2005 10:18 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

Wilkie01 Wrote:O. G. Eagles just wishes hw was in the Big East, instead of CDOA! 04-cheers
He and his buddy Yune are living through their own little hell right now. :laugh:
07-27-2005 11:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
ecu92 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

".....that we couldn't take ECU because the ACC would get mad at us."

Makes no sense. At this point, so what if they get mad at the BE. They've already stolen the league's top two programs....what else can they do?
07-27-2005 11:46 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.