Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Liberty, Independence, Music City Bowl news
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

sutomcat spells out the latest from the Cuse Board

The Big News confirms the ACC appears out of the Liberty Bowl Race.

<a href='http://mb25.scout.com/fsyracuseinsidersfrm7.showMessage?topicID=916.topic' target='_blank'>BE Still Alive for the Liberty Bowl</a>
07-26-2005 09:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

Why does everyone think the Liberty Bowl asking free choice among CUSA teams is a ploy just to select Memphis? Maybe once every 8 years or so, but I'm quite sure the move is designed to avoid the requirement of having to take a surprise Tulsa or SMU champion if there is an equally strong USM or ECU side. They want butts in the seats, preferably those from out of town, and Memphis fits only onw part of that equation.

Also, this isn't entirely a rare thing. Most bowls outside the BCS have a pecking order like this, wherein they're not hooked to the #whatever ranked team within a conference, but rather the number dictates which order they pick from that conference among other bowls. Look at the Outback, which took Florida for a second year in a row over other SEC teams with higher rankings and better records because they wanted the sure sell out. (They got it! Florida's offense sold out in a 20 point loss to Iowa!)

It can work out if done right, providing the flexibility to ensure the most attractive match-ups at several bowls. And if the CUSA champ is attractive believe me the Liberty will take them.
07-26-2005 09:30 AM
Find all posts by this user
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

GunnerFan Wrote:Why does everyone think the Liberty Bowl asking free choice among CUSA teams is a ploy just to select Memphis?
Because the Liberty Bowl executive director has pretty much said so publicly.
07-26-2005 09:40 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Agreed the Liberty Bowl needs Memphis in its "hip pocket" if one of the 6 or 7 non traveling CUSA teams wins the league. A deal involving the MWC would be very risky. The LB realizes getting at least a BCS mid level team will usually yield more tix, motel rooms than what MWC could send (Utah and TCU possibly excepted).
07-26-2005 09:56 AM
Advertisement

GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

If the Liberty were to take Memphis on a regular basis, regardless of their true appeal or that of other CUSA teams, then that would be a divine act of stupidity and the Bowl would suffer in the long term because of it.
07-26-2005 09:57 AM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX

you guys have been talking about this for months. I don't remember WAC team getting stiffed in thier arrangement. UTEP stiffed the WAC bowls last yr. Teams in championship games do not travel as well to bowl games. they simply asked to keep thier options open. I think there more worried about 10-1 team losing tiebreaker & not getting in CG. All your bowls are on thin ice. C-USA is going have to send schools to closet bowl. If CG teams have to sit out, so be it. they still made post season play. With Hous & Indy bowl waiting for 7 & 8 picks with no guarentee, i'm not sure C-USA should not take in NoTex & LousTech & really surround bowls
07-26-2005 11:11 AM
RapmasterAC Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

ACC announced ties to the Music City bowl today, ACC vs. SEC.
07-26-2005 12:15 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Look for Toronto to get BE #5 vs MAC #2 or 3

<a href='http://www.cleveland.com/collegesports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/112237037986951.xml&coll=2' target='_blank'>MAC News</a>
07-26-2005 12:45 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.