Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
I am starting to feel really bad for Memphis fans
Yuleofell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

They sure seem to be on a "get kicked by everybody roll".

1) They are probably the fourth horse in a race where the first 3 get a Big East invite.
2) Ul drops them off their schedule because they are too good.
3) Ole Miss wants to drop them because they are too good.
4) Their basketball team will be the best it has been in years and they won't have that much opportunity to show it thanks to a weak conference.
5) Their home town bowl lies to them and apparently wants to backstab them.
6) They are probably in the best spot ever to win a C-USA football championship and won't have a chance to play in their home town bowl.

I love to beat Memphis but this is taking things a little too far, they deserve better.
07-22-2005 07:16 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

It's the ultimate victory.

Memphis will be fine, they should be kicking themselves for not investing in their programs sooner. I wouldnt lose too much sleep crying for Memphis.

Oh yeah, CUSA will be in the Liberty Bowl this year. Its every year after that that it will be BE/SEC if things pan out.
07-22-2005 07:22 PM
Yuleofell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

[QUOTE] It's the ultimate victory.

No it's not, The ultimeat victory was watching D. Wash miss those two free throws on their home court during the tournament. Rivalries should be fought on the court or field, not in back door politics.
:mad:
07-22-2005 07:25 PM
CardinalEmpire.com Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Yuleofell Wrote:6) They are probably in the best spot ever to win a C-USA football championship and won't have a chance to play in their home town bowl.
Aren't most people picking Southern Miss and UAB ahead of Memphis this season? They have D'Angelo, sure, but that's about it. I'd HARDLY call this season their "best spot" to go to the Liberty Bowl.
07-22-2005 07:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

honestly i don't think we will lose the Liberty Bowl...

but i do know all we can do is win...the rest will take care of it-self.

but i do agree that rivalries should be about the games and the players...not about back door politics and shady deals.

Go Tigers
Drew
07-22-2005 09:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Is Memphis working on a deal with the BE for football only in 2006?
07-22-2005 10:24 PM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

Wilkie01 Wrote:Is Memphis working on a deal with the BE for football only in 2006?
I'd welcome them certainly.
07-22-2005 11:05 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Ditto
07-22-2005 11:28 PM
wvucrazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: West Virginia

let's not get ahead of ourselves with the liberty bowl.... it could very well remain with NCUSA. Lots of things can happen.

that being said - i would support Memphis in an all-sports, 9 team league. But it makes no sense to take them for football only and not take advantage of their excellent BB program. There will be schools standing in line if the BE splits. They don't feel any urgency to add a 9th, especially if they are working out a scheduling agreement w/ Army and Navy. The reason to add a football only school is going to be gone.
07-22-2005 11:54 PM
MHSCard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville/ND

wvucrazed Wrote:let's not get ahead of ourselves with the liberty bowl.... it could very well remain with NCUSA. Lots of things can happen.

that being said - i would support Memphis in an all-sports, 9 team league. But it makes no sense to take them for football only and not take advantage of their excellent BB program. There will be schools standing in line if the BE splits. They don't feel any urgency to add a 9th, especially if they are working out a scheduling agreement w/ Army and Navy. The reason to add a football only school is going to be gone.
I think that the idea most of us espouse is that we would add Memphis as Football only then in 2010 if a split does happen we take them on in all sports. 04-cheers
07-22-2005 11:58 PM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

wvucrazed Wrote:let's not get ahead of ourselves with the liberty bowl.... it could very well remain with NCUSA. Lots of things can happen.

that being said - i would support Memphis in an all-sports, 9 team league. But it makes no sense to take them for football only and not take advantage of their excellent BB program.
Some of the things that could happen are bad re the LB. For example, the BE might not be one of the teams in the mix.

Taking them for FB only until 2010 would make sense only because it would aid CUSA and be more likely to win approval from the BE BB schools. Certainly, I would want them as full partners in 2010 when the split is in effect.

Jim

p.s. The NAVY/ARMY OOC deal can coexist.
07-23-2005 05:56 PM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

JIM15068 Wrote:
wvucrazed Wrote:let's not get ahead of ourselves with the liberty bowl....  it could very well remain with NCUSA.  Lots of things can happen. 

that being said - i would support Memphis in an all-sports, 9 team league.  But it makes no sense to take them for football only and not take advantage of their excellent BB program.
Some of the things that could happen are bad re the LB. For example, the BE might not be one of the teams in the mix.

Taking them for FB only until 2010 would make sense only because it would aid CUSA and be more likely to win approval from the BE BB schools. Certainly, I would want them as full partners in 2010 when the split is in effect.

Jim

p.s. The NAVY/ARMY OOC deal can coexist.
Hmm and perhaps we add Temple to round us out to 10 in 2010 so that we have an 18 game double-round robin conference schedule in bball. And we can preserve rivalries between Temple and UC, SU, RU, Pitt, and WVU and between UM and UL and UC. And we leave two spots open for PSU and BC if they decide to come back and if not we have a nice 10 team league that would be in no danger of losing its BCS bid and would be amazing in basketball and the olympic sports.
07-23-2005 07:16 PM
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE

I love to hate Memphis but wish them no harm. It would be really good if they could play in CUSA for a couple of more years... dominate it to the point of elevating their sports program (especially football) to the next level, then get an invitation to the BE.
07-25-2005 02:08 PM
Bearcatfan4life Offline
All American

I Root For:

Quote:The ultimeat victory was watching D. Wash miss those two free throws on their home court during the tournament

There was nothing good about that. Speaking from a UC perspective, I hate Memphis as much as the next guy. But to see that kid miss those free throws was simply heart breaking. From all acoounts, he's recoverd from that incident, but that was very sad to see, and could have crushed Darius. You want to beat your rival, but you NEVER want to see them lose it themself, in that fashion.
07-25-2005 02:22 PM
cardtopper Offline
1st String

Oh come on Bearcatfan,
If Cincy was in Louisville's place I don't think you would feel quite the same. I'm just telling what Jesus loves...the truth. I was very happy to see us win by any means we could. I wanted Memphis to go on and do well in their tournament too cause I was also a fan of what was then our conference. But if you think as a Louisville fan I was going to be heart broken because the opposite teams player missed free throws which resulted in our winning 03-confused
07-25-2005 02:34 PM
Yuleofell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

[QUOTE]You want to beat your rival, but you NEVER want to see them lose it themself, in that fashion.

We will agree to disagree on this one. He missed the free throws, they lost the game and their chance to get to the NCAA tourney. I won't get into the"antics" I disliked about the game.

I have always considered Memphis a bigger rival than Cincy.

I have stated I think their program deserves better than the treatment they are receiving. Some of that treatment is their own "fault" for not anticipating events well enough. Most of it is simply beyond their control.

UT owns the state of Tennessee and it will always be hard for Memphis to get respect in their own state. Tennessee is too scared to play them straight up just like UK used to refuse to play us. Memphis fans are dedicated enough to overcome this disability given the right opportunity and could be a strong member of the Big East in time.
07-25-2005 02:41 PM
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame

Quote:They have D'Angelo, sure, but that's about it

ohhhhhh. thats not quite accurate. but we dont mind folks thinking that.
07-25-2005 02:48 PM
Bearcatfan4life Offline
All American

I Root For:

Quote:Oh come on Bearcatfan,
If Cincy was in Louisville's place I don't think you would feel quite the same. I'm just telling what Jesus loves...the truth. I was very happy to see us win by any means we could. I wanted Memphis to go on and do well in their tournament too cause I was also a fan of what was then our conference. But if you think as a Louisville fan I was going to be heart broken because the opposite teams player missed free throws which resulted in our winning

You might be right. I don't know exactly how I would feel since UC wasn't in the game. You have every right to be happy that your team moved on, and survived with a win. However, that wouldn't be one of those wins where I'd be jumping up and down in celebration. Granted, it gave you the conference championship, which is a nice accomplishment. All I'm saying, is there are ways you want to win, and ways that you win, that leave you a little less satisfied. If your performance isn't up to snuff, but you escape with a win, you might not be as happy as, say, if you play really well against a team ranked ahead of you in a big game, and hit a shot at the buzzer to win. That's something to celebrate. An 18 or 19 year old kid missing free throws while on the line all by himself that would have sent his team into the NCAA tournament. Sure, you're happy you got the W, but I doubt I'd be jumping through hoops, either. You might even feel a little sorry for the kid.
07-25-2005 02:48 PM
TigersRuleAll Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Reading this thread may force me to re-evaluate my feelings toward Cincy and Louisville. No question that you guys deserved a BE invitation, and I wish both programs well...hopefully we'll join you guys in a couple of years.

I wish nothing but misfortune for USF.
07-25-2005 03:02 PM
cardtopper Offline
1st String

Everything you have said makes perfect sense if you are looking at it as an objective outside observer....but if you are a fan, a win is a win is a win and a win is cause for celebration, especially if a conference championship is at stake. I'm really feeling you Bearcat, but for some reason, everytime I think about the last few seconds of that game and the way that young man trash talked and verbally mocked & agitated our players.....a big smile warms up my insides. :D
07-25-2005 03:09 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.