Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UofL, Cincy & USF Cartel?
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
UofL, Cincy & USF Cartel?
A lot of Louisville fans are shocked that the rumors that UofL is fighting to keep the Big East together while giving the B12 the cold shoulder might actually be true.

At the same time, there are those who are saying that if UofL turned down the B12, UC will be quick to take our place.

I would instead like to put forth the following theory: Louisville, Cincinnati & South Florida are going to act in concert no matter what happens.

I don't think it's likely that West Virginia would be part of this. But I wouldn't be at all surprised that the 3 schools who moved from CUSA together to the Big East will do what they can to keep the Big East together and become the cornerstone of a new AQ conference using the old BE name.

Pitt & Syracuse were old names in college football, but it had been a while since they'd been big names. Adding schools like Navy & Air Force automatically puts us above the former Big East in the computer rankings. Though the loss of Syracuse on the basketball side is bigger than losing them on the football side, I don't think the Syracuse TV market was such a big deal - and we keep the NYC market with at least 4 other NYC area schools. The Pittsburgh market is still interested in WVU sports. Adding a nationwide audience in the service academies more than makes up for the loss of those 2.

I couldn't wait to get out of the conference before. But I am okay with being in the Big East now. And I would bet money that Louisville, Cincy & USF have made a pact to stick together.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2011 06:52 PM by SmallVoice.)
10-02-2011 06:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: UofL, Cincy & USF Cartel?
From the only perspective that matters, the national media perspective, Pitt and Syracuse were far more valuable members than Navy, Air Force, ECU, Temple, etc. We lost our big TV contract when they left. Computer rankings mean nothing, as BCS rules will be changed to accommodate the new alignments.

Cincy, UL, and my USF can cartel all they want (and trust me, if USF got a bid from the ACC or SEC, they'd be gone from the Big East in a nanosecond), but they can't put together a Big East that can retain AQ status.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2011 07:00 PM by quo vadis.)
10-02-2011 06:59 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
yup...I want out this conference is being led by jokers who don't "get it"....they think basketball is the big wheel and it's killing the football schools. I'm done and i want out.
10-02-2011 07:02 PM
SmallVoice Offline
Silly String

I Root For: Louisville
I should revise this statement: No, I don't believe they can agree to stick together in the face of an SEC invite. But USF has zero chance of that. And we lost no TV contract when they left. Our TV contract will be renegotiated next year just as it would have been before they left. No national audience is clamoring to see either Syracuse or Pitt. They're legends in their own minds.
10-02-2011 07:04 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I don't think it's a situation of Cincy is trying to get UofL's place in the B12.....I think if the B12 is expanding they are looking to go past 12 so if Texas/OU/OSU/TTU bolt they can still have a viable conference. If they expand to 14 then those four can leave and the conference still holds at 10. If you only go to 12 and those four leave you are hosed...that's why they want to add UC, UofL, BYU, and either WVA or TCU
10-02-2011 07:07 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(10-02-2011 07:04 PM)SmallVoice Wrote:  I should revise this statement: No, I don't believe they can agree to stick together in the face of an SEC invite. But USF has zero chance of that. And we lost no TV contract when they left. Our TV contract will be renegotiated next year just as it would have been before they left. No national audience is clamoring to see either Syracuse or Pitt. They're legends in their own minds.

Yes it will, but for far less dollars than the other AQ conferences are getting.

Can you seriously imagine a network trying to hype games like Navy-Temple and ECU-Cincy when CBS is showing Auburn-Florida and ABC has Ohio State-Penn State? There's no way we get any good dollars for a revamped Big East filled with no-names and service academies.
10-02-2011 07:11 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
(10-02-2011 07:04 PM)SmallVoice Wrote:  I should revise this statement: No, I don't believe they can agree to stick together in the face of an SEC invite. But USF has zero chance of that. And we lost no TV contract when they left. Our TV contract will be renegotiated next year just as it would have been before they left. No national audience is clamoring to see either Syracuse or Pitt. They're legends in their own minds.

So the Big East should be just fine w/out Cuse and Pitt. So whats up w/ this panic? 05-stirthepot
10-02-2011 07:11 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
I think it is more of the UofL and Cincy cartel with USF unfortunately on the outside looking in and WVU trying to be as noncommittal as possible while it holds out for an SEC invite which will probably never happen. Additionally, the rumors of Louisville turning down a Big 12 invitation have no foundation to them, baseless speculation at this point.
10-02-2011 07:12 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I can see WVA getting an invite if Mizzou says no...
10-02-2011 07:15 PM
UCbball21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(10-02-2011 07:15 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I can see WVA getting an invite if Mizzou says no...

I think the SEC will try to lure FSU, Virginia Tech, NC St, and maybe even Clemson/GTech before WVU. With a new SEC contract with CBS rumored in the 30 million range annually suddenly a 20 million exit fee doesn't seem so large. The SEC has no reason to settle for WVU, convenience is the only thing WVU has to offer over some of the other schools mentioned. I've said from the beginning WVU to the SEC makes no sense, if they get an invitation it will be a last resort on the SEC's part.

What really sucks is the hillbillies and their herder, Luck, were the ones who destabilized the BE initially with illusions of SEC grandeur. Had WVU privately express interest to the SEC instead of having their AD practically beg for an invite publicly Pittsburgh might not have prematurely pulled the trigger and the BE might not have gotten raided. IMO WVU should take a page out of Cincinnati's and Louisville's book on how to publicly handle conference realignment, but I don't expect them too.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2011 07:35 PM by UCbball21.)
10-02-2011 07:27 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-02-2011 07:11 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Yes it will, but for far less dollars than the other AQ conferences are getting.

Can you seriously imagine a network trying to hype games like Navy-Temple and ECU-Cincy when CBS is showing Auburn-Florida and ABC has Ohio State-Penn State? There's no way we get any good dollars for a revamped Big East filled with no-names and service academies.

Yes because we know that Cuse-Pitt would trump those BigTen and SEC games you mentioned.

Get a grip- Navy-UConn will be more watchable in Northeast than Indiana- Illinois or Mississippi- Vanderbilt.

We dont have the BIG names those conferences have but we can match the rest of their conference.

As for the TV contract why dont we wait and see what happens before we make statements like you did because none of us are privy to those discussions.
10-02-2011 07:28 PM
Advertisement

vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:

ECU is not getting in. And Navy vs. Air Force will attract many more TV eyeballs than Baylor vs. Iowa State, or Oregon State vs. Arizona or Wake Forest vs Duke.
10-02-2011 07:34 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

again, i don't care if they let 20 teams in from cusa, sunbelt, and the mac...I want off this sinking ship

the approval for our lame commish to "aggressivley add members" is TOO LITTLE TOO LATE. Providence, SH, and the rest of the bball clowns screwed up the football and I hope they reap what they sow. I hope UofL, UC, USF, RU, UCONN, and WVA all bolt
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2011 07:47 PM by Bearcats#1.)
10-02-2011 07:47 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(10-02-2011 07:28 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  

Yes because we know that Cuse-Pitt would trump those BigTen and SEC games you mentioned.

Get a grip- Navy-UConn will be more watchable in Northeast than Indiana- Illinois or Mississippi- Vanderbilt.

We dont have the BIG names those conferences have but we can match the rest of their conference.

As for the TV contract why dont we wait and see what happens before we make statements like you did because none of us are privy to those discussions.

Cuse-Pitt would not trump those matchups, but it would be far more of a TV draw then ECU-Navy and Temple-Uconn would be.

Sure, you can say "wait and see" if you want, but let's be realistic: the Pitt/SYR defection badly hurt our already-weak TV appeal, and adding the likes of Temple and Air Force will only reinforce that.

We're adding schools considered to be OOC cannon-fodder, the types of teams you schedule for a rest week between games against Texas and Oklahoma, by the big time conferences ...
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2011 07:58 PM by quo vadis.)
10-02-2011 07:57 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

(10-02-2011 07:57 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-02-2011 07:28 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  

Cuse-Pitt would not trump those matchups, but it would be far more of a TV draw then ECU-Navy and Temple-Uconn would be.

Sure, you can say "wait and see" if you want, but let's be realistic: the Pitt/SYR defection badly hurt our already-weak TV appeal, and adding the likes of Temple and Air Force will only reinforce that.

We're adding schools considered to be OOC cannon-fodder, the types of teams you schedule for a rest week between games against Texas and Oklahoma, by the big time conferences ...

x2
10-02-2011 08:00 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Once again you cant cry over spilled milk, Cuse and pitt are gone. i would much rather they have stayed but its pointless now. all im trying to point out to you is that they are NOT as big a hit as you want to make it out to be.
10-02-2011 08:01 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(10-02-2011 06:51 PM)SmallVoice Wrote:  A lot of Louisville fans are shocked that the rumors that UofL is fighting to keep the Big East together while giving the B12 the cold shoulder might actually be true.

At the same time, there are those who are saying that if UofL turned down the B12, UC will be quick to take our place.

I would instead like to put forth the following theory: Louisville, Cincinnati & South Florida are going to act in concert no matter what happens.

I don't think it's likely that West Virginia would be part of this. But I wouldn't be at all surprised that the 3 schools who moved from CUSA together to the Big East will do what they can to keep the Big East together and become the cornerstone of a new AQ conference using the old BE name.

Pitt & Syracuse were old names in college football, but it had been a while since they'd been big names. Adding schools like Navy & Air Force automatically puts us above the former Big East in the computer rankings. Though the loss of Syracuse on the basketball side is bigger than losing them on the football side, I don't think the Syracuse TV market was such a big deal - and we keep the NYC market with at least 4 other NYC area schools. The Pittsburgh market is still interested in WVU sports. Adding a nationwide audience in the service academies more than makes up for the loss of those 2.

I couldn't wait to get out of the conference before. But I am okay with being in the Big East now. And I would bet money that Louisville, Cincy & USF have made a pact to stick together.

If UL opts to stay in the BE, UC will as well. From UC's perspective, UL is about as close to a partner as we are ever going to have.
10-02-2011 08:28 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(10-02-2011 08:01 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Once again you cant cry over spilled milk, Cuse and pitt are gone. i would much rather they have stayed but its pointless now. all im trying to point out to you is that they are NOT as big a hit as you want to make it out to be.

I'm not crying, i'm trying to be realistic. IMHO, the Big East is effectively dead as an AQ conference. We were marginal with Pitt and Cuse, and there's nobody out there that we can remotely replace them with.

IOW's, i think you are underestimating how big a hit we took. IMO, a knockout punch for our football league.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2011 08:31 PM by quo vadis.)
10-02-2011 08:30 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(10-02-2011 07:02 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  yup...I want out this conference is being led by jokers who don't "get it"....they think basketball is the big wheel and it's killing the football schools. I'm done and i want out.

the jokers that dont "get it"include the presidents and ad's of the fb schools
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2011 08:33 PM by gosports1.)
10-02-2011 08:32 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-02-2011 08:30 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-02-2011 08:01 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Once again you cant cry over spilled milk, Cuse and pitt are gone. i would much rather they have stayed but its pointless now. all im trying to point out to you is that they are NOT as big a hit as you want to make it out to be.

I'm not crying, i'm trying to be realistic. IMHO, the Big East is effectively dead as an AQ conference. We were marginal with Pitt and Cuse, and there's nobody out there that we can remotely replace them with.

IOW's, i think you are underestimating how big a hit we took. IMO, a knockout punch for our football league.

Well I disagree Pitt and Cuse have for the most part been a nonfactor in football since the last expansion. But we shall see neither of us will make that decision.
10-02-2011 08:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.