Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
WHAT another pitt verbal
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators

OL Joe Thomas #22 player from Ohio. should be a 4 or 3 star player. great pickup Pitt.

12 verbals and its not august yet
07-02-2005 05:41 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

Let's hope Pitt can keep them all this year. Not a flame but the realities of recruiting nowadays.

Most of Pitt's recruits are more of "program guys" and not your high school 5-star superstars that are going to get tempted to jump ship if a Miami, Michigan etc start calling. This may make it easier to keep them as solid committs until February. BTW, by "program guys" I am referring to kids like Greg Lee, who have their best football ahead of them when they sign their letters of intent.

One could argue the Morrelli may have played his best football already since he is not likely to see the field very much at Penn State any time soon.
07-02-2005 05:42 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators

yeah i know. 12 seems to be a lil too much in my own honest opinion. might miss out on big recruits towards feb
07-02-2005 05:44 PM
Yuleofell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Totally awesome! How many more commits can Pitt take? Is Wanny running off some of the old players?
07-02-2005 06:02 PM
Advertisement

WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

Wanny is doing an increadible job. Penn State should be really concerned.
07-02-2005 06:08 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators

psu is concerned. they didn't evey try to recruit pinkston and dickerson. somethin big is goin to happen @ pitt i could feel it..

'Thomas was receiving heavy looks from Ohio State, like most kids from Ohio the Buckeyes were on his mind.

"They were considering an offer, but I feel like I belong at Pittsburgh," Thomas said. '

author Bob Lichtenfels of scout.com
07-02-2005 06:21 PM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

CyberBull Wrote:Let's hope Pitt can keep them all this year. Not a flame but the realities of recruiting nowadays.

Most of Pitt's recruits are more of "program guys" and not your high school 5-star superstars that are going to get tempted to jump ship if a Miami, Michigan etc start calling.
CB, that's the beauty of this class. Miami and Michigan were calling some of these guys, and they chose Pitt.

04-cheers
07-03-2005 03:52 AM
Advertisement

JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

To give you a slight example of schools these kids turned down:
DICKERSON
Pittsburgh Verbal Yes None
LSU No Interest Yes None
Michigan No Interest Yes None
Ohio State No Interest Yes None
Penn State No Interest Yes

The third column indicates whether the player was offered a scholarship.

PINKSTON
Florida No Interest Yes None
07-03-2005 04:12 AM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

To give you a slight example of schools these kids turned down:
DICKERSON
LSU No Interest Yes None

The third column indicates whether the player was offered a scholarship.

PINKSTON
Florida No Interest Yes None
Georgia No Interest Yes None
LSU No Interest Yes None

Thomas :
:
School Interest Level Offer? Attended Camp? Visit Date Signed LOI?
Boston College No Interest Yes None
Indiana No Interest Yes None
Michigan No Interest No None
Michigan State No Interest Yes None
Ohio State No Interest No None
Wisconsin No Interest Yes

I'M NOT GOING TO GO THROUGH ALL 12 KIDS, BUT AS YOU CAN SEE
Pitt has received commits from players who turned down LSU, MICHIGAN, FLORIDA, OHIO STATE, AND PENN STATE.
07-03-2005 04:13 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

So much for the Big East not being able to develop a solid recruiting base! 03-razz

Pitt is taking are of business, Louisville is, West Virginia is as well. UC hauled in a pretty impressive class this year, many from the Cincinnati and Ohio area, but we still have some work to do to establish our presence consistently and strongly. Good to see one of the top Big East schools cleaning up, that's what we need to make our presence felt as a power conference! 04-cheers
07-03-2005 10:41 AM
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

animus Wrote:psu is concerned. they didn't evey try to recruit pinkston and dickerson. somethin big is goin to happen @ pitt i could feel it..

'Thomas was receiving heavy looks from Ohio State, like most kids from Ohio the Buckeyes were on his mind.

"They were considering an offer, but I feel like I belong at Pittsburgh," Thomas said. '

Hey if they want the recruits Pitt is getting maybe they should join the Big East! 03-wink
07-03-2005 10:49 AM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
animus Wrote:psu is concerned. they didn't evey try to recruit pinkston and dickerson. somethin big is goin to happen @ pitt i could feel it..

Hey if they want the recruits Pitt is getting maybe they should join the Big East! 03-wink
I think Paterno's attitude about playing in Pittsburgh may be hurting him. How can one expect to get all the WPIAL kids when one won't even play a game in WPIAL territory?

Of course, the real key here is the enthusiasm of Pitt's staff. They believe in what they're selling. They believe Pitt will become a perennial top ten team. The kids believe it too.

For some reason Joe Pa thinks he's hurting Pitt. The reverse could be true.
07-03-2005 05:32 PM
pittfanemm Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

The number of Pitt scholarships to give out this year is somewhat uncertain at this time. Pitt will have at least 16 but I would expect that number to rise to somewhere around 20 by the time February rolls around.

Pitt will not have to turn away any top recruits due to a lack of scholarships. At this point Pitt will be looking for one more qb, 1 rb, 3 more lineman, 1 wr, 1 te and a couple of db's.

Wannstedt came in and did what was necessary and rebuilt some relationships with the schools in the local areas. I don't expect more than 1 or two more local recruits and the rest will be out of state with at least a couple from FL.
07-03-2005 07:32 PM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

pittfanemm Wrote:The number of Pitt scholarships to give out this year is somewhat uncertain at this time. Pitt will have at least 16 but I would expect that number to rise to somewhere around 20 by the time February rolls around.

Pitt will not have to turn away any top recruits due to a lack of scholarships. At this point Pitt will be looking for one more qb, 1 rb, 3 more lineman, 1 wr, 1 te and a couple of db's.

Wannstedt came in and did what was necessary and rebuilt some relationships with the schools in the local areas. I don't expect more than 1 or two more local recruits and the rest will be out of state with at least a couple from FL.
I'm not sure if Pitt needs any more O-line recruits unless they're blue-chippers. There are already a lot of young guys on the team from the last couple recruiting classes.

LT Charles Spencer 6-5, 330, Sr.
Jerald Robinson 6-8, 315, RFr.

LG Dominic Williams 6-4, 300, RFr.
Mike DeLuca 6-3, 290, Soph.

C Joe Villani 6-3, 300, Jr.
Chris Vangas 6-2, 300, Soph.

RG John Sinonitis 6-4, 315, Jr.
Dave Weber 6-3, 345, RFr.

RT Mike McGlynn 6-5, 315, Soph.
Neal Tracey 6-3, 295, Soph.

Three freshmen and four sophomores!

For qb, they'd love Devlin. but he's a long shot at best. Dexter Davidson from Florida is a possible. He's coming up for the ND game, and his personal tutor is a guy named Dan Marino.

At wr, they'd love Vidal Hazleton, but he's got a lot of offers. I think Pitt has a real shot at Gateway qb Aaron Smith, who is a great athlete and could play wr. I, also, think the Panthers have a real shot at Elijah Fields who could play wr or safety. With his hitting ability, it would be a shame for him to play receiver. If OSU offers, he may prefer them.

Tight end--cross your fingers. Nate Byham is the man. Quarless from NY is also good, but I think he's leaning PSU.

At cb, I love the same guy everyone else does, Darrin Walls. He's one of the best, so everyone wants him, but I believe Pitt has a real shot. Wannestadt looks as if he might be building a perrenial top 10 team, and Darrin might like to be a part of that.

When all is said and done, this should be one of the top recruiting classes in the country, certainly the best Pitt has has in a while.

Here's who I think Pitt gets.
TE=BYHAM
CB=WALLS
QB=DAVIDSON
WR=A SMITH
S=FIELDS
CB=WALLS

OTHER POSSIBLES (LONG-SHOTS)
QB=DEVLIN
RB=MCCOY (real long shot)
rb=kevin collier (NY)
WR=HAZELTON
OL=J HOLT (FL)

Jim
07-04-2005 03:19 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.