Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
I think ACC still wants SU in grand scheme
PusherT Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse

Miami nearly balked away if BC & SU wasn't brought too. And now you have Miami & BC "2 schools that a have HUGE Northeast fanbase" in ACC.

I think BC,UM,Duke,Wake,NCSTATE,GT would all vote SU in to give Miami/BC another "Rival"
06-22-2005 08:32 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators

if the acc goes picks up cuse i would think they would want 1 more to have an even amount of teams. 7 in one division and 6 in the other doesn't make too much sence to me. who knows. just a thought
06-22-2005 08:44 PM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

The acc constitution requires more votes than 6 schools to add any. If we recall, with 9 schools voting, they needed 7 'yes' votes. Their constitution might require 3/4 approval. If that's the case, they would need 9 of 12 this go-round.

I really don't see why they'd vote themselves less money though. The only real reason to go to 12 is to get the extra revenue from a championship game. Any above 12 take away money.
06-22-2005 08:51 PM
USFBullSpit Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

They would get a bowl game, extra money from Raycom and ESPN and etc... the guy on the noles board has the economic breakdown, and they would not lose any money if this occured, they would actually gain money.
06-22-2005 10:19 PM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:

USFBullSpit Wrote:They would get a bowl game, extra money from Raycom and ESPN and etc... the guy on the noles board has the economic breakdown, and they would not lose any money if this occured, they would actually gain money.
USF,

Are you talking about Syracuse only for a 13 team conference?

I remember a WVU fan on a rivals board a couple of years ago supposedly had the breakdown for a 16 team SEC conference that would generate more money per school. Having so much more bargaining power with the media was suppose to be a plus.

If the four 16 team super conferences ever happen it would surpise me if the ACC led the way instead of the SEC.

There was an interesting quote from an article about the SEC not wanting a playoff in the B'ham News yesterday:

Quote:What he and the SEC think matters. Slive believes the Big 12 and ACC will follow the SEC's lead. Those conferences "want to be the SEC," he said, "because everything they do is to emulate what we do."

<a href='http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1119345552116200.xml&coll=2' target='_blank'>http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/in...6200.xml&coll=2</a>
06-22-2005 11:56 PM
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF

I think the same could be said for the Big 10. Look how everyone added Instant Replay after they tried it out. Of course, that is not to take away from the SEC...I believe that they (SEC and Big 10) are the two most powerful conferences. You only have to look at the bowls to see that.
06-23-2005 12:32 AM
Advertisement

BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF

Quote:Having so much more bargaining power with the media was suppose to be a plus.
That is why, IF they can get the right teams, the ACC will do it.
06-23-2005 12:35 AM
GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

I can accept Slive's comment regarding other conferences as wanting "to be the SEC" as a polite homage to the fact that both conferences went to 12 teams. I'd think that had more/as much to do with the extra money and stature than with envy for all things SEC. When the ACC achieves the level of violations as the SEC, then we'll revisit the matter. Plus the other conferences were more reacting to changing markets and needs: The Big 12 as a means of salvaging the profile of it's current members after the fall of the SWC, and for the ACC the chance to fend of conference demise and or the loss of FSU+.

While PSU and Cuse represent the kind of institutions that could make the $ work and the ACC schools would have no objection to associating with, at this point I think there's a lot more than money at stake. Folks elsewhere on this board are fully aware of the issues related to basketball match-ups and national exposure involved with a 16 team conferece, and frankly 14 would not be that far behind. It's bad enough the NC 4 will cut back on their games with UVA and Maryland, they don't want to further cut back on match-ups within their cherished quartet. And if you don't divvy up the games fairly, what's the point of affiliating with the other great programs?

While some bold foresight may be involved, I suspect some of this is truly hindsight turned into wistful daydreaming. "Man, we should've pressed harder for PSU as #12." "I definitely would've preferred Cuse over BC..." "Hey, what if we kept going...?" At what point does the conference championship essentially become a bowl game for two 8-9 team sub conferences? (Then again, maybe that's the idea!)

I'm an ACC fan who can live with the lineup, understand why those schools were involved and will support them through thick and thin, yadda, yadda, yadda, but I've already lost out on my vision for a dream conference. I'd hate to see it mutate to something with potential for even worse.
06-23-2005 11:23 AM
UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:

GunnerFan Wrote:At what point does the conference championship essentially become a bowl game for two 8-9 team sub conferences? (Then again, maybe that's the idea!)
I think you described exactly what a 16 team conference would be. The challenge would be get the 8 teams in each subconference to be happy with the alignment or at least the great majority of them.
06-23-2005 11:55 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

The ACC doesn't want Syracuse.
06-23-2005 12:18 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

Cat's_Claw Wrote:The ACC doesn't want Syracuse.
The acc may not want Syracuse now, because they are at 12. The reality is that the acc wanted Syracuse in the worse way during the expansion fiasco. I am sure that the acc would have wanted Syracuse to be making that call asking to be let in instead of BC.
06-23-2005 12:52 PM
Advertisement

TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

You have to think there is a good chance syracuse will go some where. The 12 game schedule makes expansion by the Big 10 or ACC at least an open topic. Its difficult to see the big 10 going beyond 12 but that could include syracuse. One could see the ACC going to 14 as they flirted with the idea last time they expanded.
All that said., who knows.
06-23-2005 01:23 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!

Gee, I hope UC can get at least one season in the Big East in before everyone leaves.

Hopefully the leaders of the Big East institutions are more patient than the fans seem to be. Don't you think we should give this a shot for 3-4 years and see how things pan out?
06-23-2005 01:34 PM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &

TopCoog Wrote:You have to think there is a good chance syracuse will go some where. The 12 game schedule makes expansion by the Big 10 or ACC at least an open topic. Its difficult to see the big 10 going beyond 12 but that could include syracuse. One could see the ACC going to 14 as they flirted with the idea last time they expanded.
Thank God you finally showed up to enlighten the masses. Hey, I thought expansion was a "mute point". Wasn't that what you said (grammatical error included) regarding the Big East? Yet, for the ACC it's an "open topic". It's interesting that a 12 game schedule would make other conferences consider expansion but not the Big East. Please expound further. On second thought, please don't. Isn't there a 1940s Rice or SMU media guide you can go slobber over.
06-23-2005 01:46 PM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

bearcatfan Wrote:Gee, I hope UC can get at least one season in the Big East in before everyone leaves.

Hopefully the leaders of the Big East institutions are more patient than the fans seem to be. Don't you think we should give this a shot for 3-4 years and see how things pan out?
No kidding. I was just about to suggest that we disbain the Big East and everybody just go their seperate ways. We'll all float arouned as independents for a while, with a few here and there eventually latching on to some regional little conference, but all in all as a conference, we aren't worthy to exisit...as is. Let's just end it all right now. :angel: :skull:
06-23-2005 02:39 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

cuseroc Wrote:
Cat's_Claw Wrote:The ACC doesn't want Syracuse.
The acc may not want Syracuse now, because they are at 12. The reality is that the acc wanted Syracuse in the worse way during the expansion fiasco. I am sure that the acc would have wanted Syracuse to be making that call asking to be let in instead of BC.
You're right, I should have explained that better. The ACC doesn't want Syracuse (or anyone else) because expanding past 12 costs them money. This came out in an article no long after expansion. the SEC said the same thing last year. The ACC would have liked to have had Syracuse, and would have rather have had them then Boston College but political crap reared its ugly head as well as those inside of Syracuse that resisted a move to the ACC. Meanwhile, Boston College is an out and out whore and begged to get in even after being rejected. That's what I meant. My bad.
06-23-2005 02:41 PM
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

TopCoog Wrote:You have to think there is a good chance syracuse will go some where. The 12 game schedule makes expansion by the Big 10 or ACC at least an open topic. Its difficult to see the big 10 going beyond 12 but that could include syracuse. One could see the ACC going to 14 as they flirted with the idea last time they expanded.
Actually, going to 12 games makes expansion less likely. Some conferences, like the Big Ten, already have enough trouble getting their conference schedule together, adding another team makes it worse. Adding a 12 game would just mean they would add another conference game instead of adding another team and costing themselves some money. The ACC never flirted with going to 14. They considered going to 13 and it was quickly shot down.
06-23-2005 02:44 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Quote:Cat's_Claw Posted on Jun 23 2005, 02:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, going to 12 games makes expansion less likely. Some conferences, like the Big Ten, already have enough trouble getting their conference schedule together, adding another team makes it worse. Adding a 12 game would just mean they would add another conference game instead of adding another team and costing themselves some money. The ACC never flirted with going to 14. They considered going to 13 and it was quickly shot down.

Cat's Claw, you will have to trust me on this one, the ACC's (or should I say the football schools within the ACC) plan was to immediately go to 12 but the vision was most definitely in 5-7 years down the road (somewhere around 2010) expand again to 14 and stop there.

When the ACC approached Pitt in April of 2003 as to what they thought about being a member of the ACC, it wasn't because Pitt was being considered for this most recent expansion - that was to be Miami, BC, and SU - it was because they were one of three teams being considered for #13 and #14 down the road.

Now of course, it is probably moot, but who knows?

Cheers,
Neil
06-23-2005 07:34 PM
WacoBearcat Away
Heisman

I Root For: UC

I think the ACC should absorb UCONN, PITT, West Virginia, and Syracuse, the SEC and BIG TEN, and go 39 teams.
06-23-2005 07:40 PM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

WacoBearcat Wrote:I think the ACC should absorb UCONN, PITT, West Virginia, and Syracuse, the SEC and BIG TEN, and go 39 teams.
They'll never do it unless Notre Dame agrees to be the 40th. Then, they will split into 4 divisions and call them the ACC, B10, SEC, AND BIGEAST. 04-cheers
06-23-2005 07:59 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.