Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Another Big East expansion candidate
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed

They fit right in with Villanova, Navy, Army, Delaware, Temple, UMass, Fordham and some of the others that have been mentioned...

<a href='http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=87778&ran=203045&tref=po' target='_blank'>http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...=203045&tref=po</a>
06-14-2005 05:28 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

:rolleyes:
06-14-2005 05:34 PM
O'LearyIsGod Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

UMASS makes the most sense to go to the Big East. Already in the region...they just need to move football to D-1a.
06-14-2005 06:33 PM
UCBcat83 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

ODU? I hope not!
06-14-2005 07:26 PM
USFBullSpit Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Who is ODU? We don't need a small university that currently has NO football team at all. UMass makes sense, but they are not moving up to D-1AA.
06-14-2005 10:58 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX

Richmond, would make sence from Tidewater area
06-15-2005 04:15 AM
Advertisement

TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

i agree about UMASS. It is BY FAR the strongest move. The league needs to get back into Boston. Problem is that since the league is not expanding at this time it is a mute point.
06-16-2005 10:22 AM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &

UMASS would be good, or Villanova. Whichever is most serious about upgrading.

Expansion at present, however, is a MOOT point.

TopCoog, CatDaddy, et al. would be examples of a MUTE point.

Just kidding, maybe.
06-16-2005 12:18 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska

USFBullSpit Wrote:Who is ODU? We don't need a small university that currently has NO football team at all. UMass makes sense, but they are not moving up to D-1AA.
ODU is not a small university. Old Dominion would be attempting what South Florida and UAB did a few short years ago.

Tampa = Norfolk
06-16-2005 03:16 PM
Pittusmc Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Just say no...to ODU..... 05-nono I dont even think it will even be an issue with the BE.
06-16-2005 03:20 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

templefootballfan Wrote:Richmond, would make sense from Tidewater area
The Tidewater area is Williamsburg, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach.

William & Mary (Williamsburg) is school of choice in the Tidewater area. They currently play Division 1AA.

It sounds like Old Dominion (Norfolk) is adding football. It is fair to assume they will be playing Division 1AA football in the CAA.

Richmond is in Central Virginia. Although Richmond is an excellent school, they have no interest in moving up to Division 1A. Their stadium is small (but very cool).
06-16-2005 03:22 PM
Advertisement

chess Offline
Heisman

Pittusmc Wrote:Just say no...to ODU..... 05-nono I dont even think it will even be an issue with the BE.
I don't think ODU is adding football to be part of the Big East.

The real question is....

Could the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) be preparing to becoming a "MAC"-like conference (i.e. Division 1A)?

James Madison, Richmond, William & Mary, Towson (MD), Delaware, Northeastern, etc... all play football in the Colonial (formerly Atlantic 10 football). Is there really that much difference between Ohio, Western Michigan, etc... and James Madison?
06-16-2005 03:26 PM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Division 1aa schools really interest me very little.
06-17-2005 11:50 PM
ChooChoo Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Georgia State

How about expanding to Atlanta? :)

<a href='http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/0605/19collfb.html' target='_blank'>http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/0...5/19collfb.html</a>

GSU to consider Div. 1-AA football

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/19/05
Georgia State will investigate adding Division I-AA football after it joins the Colonial Athletic Association on July 1, school officials said.

The CAA recently announced that it will play football in 2007. League member Old Dominion, which last fielded a football team in 1940, announced last week it will bring back the sport in 2009.

"By being in a conference that now plays football, it will give us an opportunity to at least consider it, look at it and see if it's something that we want to do," said Tom Lewis, Georgia State's vice president for external affairs and athletic operations.

Georgia State, which is leaving the Atlantic Sun, has a new perspective on football. In Nov. 2002, Georgia State president Carl V. Patton told the AJC there were no plans to begin an NCAA-sanctioned football program. But by joining the CAA, the school has softened its position.

"We'll do our own studies and see what the bottom line, so to speak, is," Lewis said. "What financial commitment is it going to take for us to start a football program? Because if we start it, we're going to do it right."

Division I-AA budgets can range from $500,000 to $3 million-plus annually, according to Otto Fad, who runs the Internet site, I-AA.com based in Lakeland, Fla. Southeastern Louisiana restarted its program after building up a $5 million fund. Old Dominion plans to raise $8 million by June 2006.

With Delaware, Hofstra, James Madison, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Northeastern, Rhode Island, Richmond, Towson, Villanova and William & Mary, the CAA will be one of the nation's strongest I-AA leagues. Delaware, James Madison and Massachusetts have won three of the last seven I-AA titles.

Diehard SEC fans will remember that Maine defeated Mississippi State last season.

Georgia State's athletic program dates back to the 1963-'64 season. It joined the Trans America Athletic Conference in 1984-'85 The conference later changed its name to Atlantic Sun.

The downtown, mostly commuter school, has dominated its old league in recent years, winning seven of the last 12 all-sports championships in men's and women's sports. The school's national highlight came when the men's basketball team upset Wisconsin in the 2001 NCAA tournament.

Suddenly football

Southern Louisiana cut football in 1985, but brought it back two seasons ago in I-AA under athletic director Frank Pergolizzi.

"We set up football as a self-supporting entity," Pergolizzi said.

The Lions played two seasons as an independent and will enter the Southland Conference this season under former North Gwinnett High coach Dennis Roland. The campus in Hammond, La., has had a certain buzz to it with the return of football.

"We don't have anything else here, including commencement, that's going to bring 9,000 people to our campus for a period of five or six hours," Pergolizzi said. "It's enhanced our student life."

Master Builder

Roland helped build the football program at Middle Georgia College and served as head coach from 1993 to 1997.

"It's really important to identify a core group of supporters," Roland said. "I would think that they would be able to secure a pretty good group."

Roland cites being in a metro area, Georgia State's alumni base and new dormitories as positives for Georgia State football.

"They need to a have a 10-year plan," Roland said. "They need to have a vision for the long haul."

Rest of the State

Georgia Southern, which has won six I-AA titles, and Savannah State are the only schools in Georgia playing I-AA.

"We'd have to see how things would unfold," Georgia Southern coach Mike Sewak said. "But I think the state can handle three I-AA teams."

Several I-AA schools regularly recruit the state.

"I know that Delaware's K.C. Keeler tries to get a player or two out of there each year," Fad said. "There's no doubt that there is plenty of talent to go around for Georgia Southern and Georgia State."
06-18-2005 12:24 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

TopCoog Wrote:i agree about UMASS. It is BY FAR the strongest move. The league needs to get back into Boston. Problem is that since the league is not expanding at this time it is a mute point.
It may be a MUTE point but it's not a MOOT point.
06-18-2005 02:23 PM
David Krysakowski Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Temple in 2010.
06-19-2005 08:22 AM
Advertisement

Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

David Krysakowski Wrote:Temple in 2010.
Yep, in your MAC conference.
06-19-2005 09:25 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
David Krysakowski Wrote:Temple in 2010.
Yep, in your MAC conference.
Nah after they finish rebuilding in the MAC and are back on their feet in 2010 we'll be scooping them back up and this time all their sports will be aboard.
06-19-2005 12:03 PM
O'LearyIsGod Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

What about William and Mary? They are supposed to have one of the top D-1aa teams this year.. They are close to the Big East region
06-19-2005 01:58 PM
JIM15068 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

O'LearyIsGod Wrote:What about William and Mary? They are supposed to have one of the top D-1aa teams this year.. They are close to the Big East region
William & Mary is basically a Southern Ivy League school. One year, I read that their fb team had an average SAT score of 1190. That's wonderful from an academic standpoint, but they could never compete in 1a.
06-19-2005 04:29 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.