Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
"Big Apple Bowl"
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators

I heard on the local Time Warner News station this morning that all of the lawsuits have been thrown out. The voting is supposed to take place this morning. It is expected to pass. Construction can begin this summer or fall if there are no further hurdles.
06-03-2005 07:01 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

GunnerFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: GT, Cuse

NEW YORK – A proposed $2 billion Manhattan stadium that is seen as vital to New York's effort to land the 2012 Olympics survived a critical legal challenge Thursday, just days before the International Olympic Committee reviews the city's bid.

State Justice Herman Cahn dismissed a lawsuit alleging illegalities in the purchase of the land for the stadium, which would be built over rail yards along the Hudson River on the city's West Side.

The IOC evaluation commission is set to present a report on New York's bid to the full committee Monday. The head of the commission said in February that a stadium would be crucial to the city's chances.

New York is vying with Paris, London, Madrid and Moscow for the Olympics. The IOC will select a host city on July 6.

"We are extremely pleased with today's court decision regarding the Olympic Stadium," said Jay Kriegel, executive director of the NYC2012 organizing group. "The court has ruled in favor of the stadium, and totally rejected all of the bogus arguments intended to stop the project."

U.S. Olympic Committee head Peter Ueberroth called the decision "yet another important step in securing the necessary approvals'' for the stadium.

"With the International Olympic Committee vote just over a month away and the IOC Evaluation Commission report due next week, we have reached a critical juncture for the NYC2012 bid, and it is important that final approval of the Olympic Stadium be resolved at tomorrow's meeting of New York's Public Authority Control Board,'' Ueberroth said.

When the stadium is completed, it will be the home of the New York Jets, who now play at the Meadowlands, across the river in New Jersey.

Cablevision Systems Corp., which owns Madison Square Garden near the proposed stadium site, had accused the city's transit agency of conducting "a sham bidding process" for the property earlier this year. The transit agency, which owns the land, accepted a bid from the Jets that was worth less than two other offers.

The Jets' offer was $250 million, Cablevision's $760 million. But the judge said there were other factors involved, and the transit agency acted appropriately in accepting the Jets' bid.

The judge also dismissed three other lawsuits brought by politicians and watchdog groups against the stadium plan, though he ordered the transit agency -- the Metropolitan Transportation Authority -- and the Jets to delay their closing on the deal so Cablevision and others can appeal.

Opponents of the stadium deal said they were confident the decision would be overturned on appeal.

"We do not believe the MTA board has the right to cut an inside deal," Madison Square Garden said in a statement. "The overwhelming majority of New Yorkers stand together in opposition to this waste of taxpayer funds."

Polls have shown about 40 percent of New York City residents support the stadium. The city and the state have committed to spend $300 million apiece on the project.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg seized on the judge's decision to press the state Public Authorities Control Board to approve state funding, which could happen as early as Friday.

"You couldn't have a more clear-cut decision," Bloomberg said. "It's time to go ahead and vote yes."
06-03-2005 10:01 AM
njndirish Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Notre Dame

delayed for the umteenth time
this is why i hate politics, there focused more on steroids in the NHL :bang: than they are to improving the largest city in the U.S.
06-04-2005 11:45 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators

good stuff

on another note i like politics not politicians. i plan to get into politics when i get out the navy
06-04-2005 11:58 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
RE: "Big Apple Bowl"
NYU to the Big East anyone?
10-15-2008 08:29 AM
SoCalPanther Offline
All American

I Root For: Pitt RPI
esayem Wrote:NYU to the Big East anyone?

esayem - you do know that the Giants and Jets partnered on the new Meadowlands stadium and the Jets' Manhattan stadium fell through?
10-15-2008 08:44 AM
Advertisement

Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
esayem Wrote:NYU to the Big East anyone?

Fordham was looking at moving up if the Manhattan Stadium had gone through. Now that that is gone, I am pretty sure they have dropped the idea.
10-15-2008 09:30 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
London has the 2012 olympics, the giants and jets are getting a new stadium in NJ
10-15-2008 10:14 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I knew it fell through. I was confused as to why this was on the main page.

NYU has a giant alumni base, but no desire to play football (since the 50's or 40's I believe). George Washington, same thing.

Dreamland idea:

Rutgers, NYU, Syracuse, BC, UConn, George Washington, Temple, Pitt, West Virginia, Penn State
10-15-2008 11:44 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
Fordham would be more likely to develop into nyc's team than NYU. Fordham does have the history (i know long ago), deep alumni base, is pro sports but not the $ to make it happen. NYU is not a sports school, administraion wise or student. Although I think they did win a BB championship back in the 30's or 40's
10-15-2008 11:54 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
Does this mean they gonna build a dome stadium in NYC?
10-15-2008 12:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
esayem Wrote:I knew it fell through. I was confused as to why this was on the main page.

NYU has a giant alumni base, but no desire to play football (since the 50's or 40's I believe). George Washington, same thing.

Dreamland idea:

Rutgers, NYU, Syracuse, BC, UConn, George Washington, Temple, Pitt, West Virginia, Penn State

Almost had a stroke... You have to be kidding right.
10-15-2008 12:06 PM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
I'd love to see NYU and GWU as part of an academic consortium with the Big East schools however.
10-15-2008 12:47 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

animus Wrote:Almost had a stroke... You have to be kidding right.

Yeah, but it could have happened if those schools put $ into sports, they are ca$h cowz.
(This post was last modified: 10-15-2008 03:19 PM by esayem.)
10-15-2008 03:18 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Practically speaking, NYU has about the same level of interest in sports as Julliard or the Fashion Institute of Technology. You'd be more likely to get MIT to field Division 1 sports than NYU. At least GWU acknowledges the existence of basketball.
10-15-2008 03:32 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
I'd like to see what kind of uniforms the Fashion Institute would come up with. It could revolutionize the game... 05-stirthepot
10-15-2008 03:43 PM
Advertisement

BYUcoog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU
WOULD THE GIANTS AND JETS PLAY THERE?
10-16-2008 01:23 AM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
bitcruncher Wrote:I'd like to see what kind of uniforms the Fashion Institute would come up with. It could revolutionize the game... 05-stirthepot

Probably something like this: Linky
10-16-2008 07:44 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
BYUcoog Wrote:WOULD THE GIANTS AND JETS PLAY THERE?

No they have combined their efforts and cash to build a new stadium in the Meadowlands. That boat already left the dock. :boat:
10-19-2008 08:01 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
zibby Wrote:
bitcruncher Wrote:I'd like to see what kind of uniforms the Fashion Institute would come up with. It could revolutionize the game... 05-stirthepot

Probably something like this: Linky

04-jawdrop What is that? A Gay rugby game! 03-lmfao 04-cheers
10-19-2008 08:26 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.