Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Temple FB - 100+ 5 year Sagarin ratin, 5-4 MAC team
memphisribs Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: MEMPHIS BOO YA
Temple FB - 100+ 5 year Sagarin ratin, 5-4 MAC team
I'm tired of people talking up Temple football as though it is some program that will help the Big East. Temple football has a 5 year sagarin rating of 100+, and is currently 5-4 in a poor MAC conference. They don't have any fans (18k fans against UConn last year), and they don't have any tv appeal (most of their games are on internet streaming.

Temple football would HURT the Big East's AQ BCS status.

I know memphis football is bad this year, but we have been to 5 bowls the past 10 yrs. Temple has been to ONE bowl the past 30 years, and there were 25k fans there (against powerhouse UCLA).

Temple basketball is okay, but Memphis basketball is better. Temple basketball averages 5,000 fans per game, and they have only 1 tournament win in the past decade. Memphis basketball averages almost 20k per game and we do make deep toruney runs. Memphis has several Final 4's in the past 30 yrs, Temple has none.

And just as important, Memphis OWNs our market. We dominate a fairly large city. Temple is a secondary team in a city that the Big East already owns (Villanova averages twice as many fans as Temple and is on television all the time while Temple has no espn games this year and only a few espn2 games).

I know that the Big East wants BYU and Army as their first choices. And if those two turn them down then it will be between ECU, Memphis and Temple. If the Big East is looking for football, then obviously ECU is the choice. But if the Big East is looking for best all around sports, including basketball, and market presence, it is clearly Memphis. And I really don't even know how Temple is in the picture at all besides them publicly lobbying for admission, they hurt football and don't add enough on the basketball side.

Anyway, I hope we get invited as the new Big East is shaping up to be a pretty cool conference.
11-03-2011 10:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Brahman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USF
RE: Temple FB - 100+ 5 year Sagarin ratin, 5-4 MAC team
No one cares.
11-03-2011 11:00 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
YOU WERE RANKED 173 LAST YEAR! What else do you need to understand? 173 puts you behind 50 FCS schools. The Big East (at this time) cannot handle a program that drags down its average conference rating that far. Memphis picked an awful time for their program to go to total crap... the last 3 years have been awful. Memphis essentially removed itself from consideration based on the quality of play it has had the past 3 years (of which 2 of the years factor in to the BCS AQ formula for 2014).
11-03-2011 11:00 AM
memphisribs Offline
Water Engineer

Oh yeah, if Memphis is in a bcs conference then Fed Ex might dump millions into our football and we might be able to compete. The liberty bowl is cool (but old) and our athletic facilities on campus are good.

Last time Temple was in a bcs conference they used the windfall money from the Big East to fund their other sports. Right now Temple uses $13 mill per year in institutional support for athletics. If Temple joins the Big East they will probably just use that money to cut their institutional support hemoraging and fund the rest of their athletic program, like they were doing last time they were in the big east and got kicked out of the conference for doing.
11-03-2011 11:02 AM
memphisribs Offline
Water Engineer

I know our football is weak. But its not any worse than temple. In fact, it is better than temple.

We have been to 5 bowl games the past 10 yrs.

Temple has been to 1 bowl game the past 30 yrs.

Temple's 5 year sagarin rating average is also over 100. They would also hurt the conference's bcs status as much as memphis would, maybe more.
11-03-2011 11:04 AM
UCFmike Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
Thats why neither should be invited. BYU or bust.
11-03-2011 11:05 AM
Advertisement

BarnardHall211 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: the Chippewas

11-03-2011 11:07 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
If Memphis or Temple are chosen...it will be because of their location in large market....period. The BE has plenty of BB inventory to sell already.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2011 11:09 AM by Fo Shizzle.)
11-03-2011 11:08 AM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
Pretty sure there are more vols fans in memphis than memphis fans
11-03-2011 11:12 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(11-03-2011 11:04 AM)memphisribs Wrote:  I know our football is weak. But its not any worse than temple. In fact, it is better than temple.

We have been to 5 bowl games the past 10 yrs.

Temple has been to 1 bowl game the past 30 yrs.

Temple's 5 year sagarin rating average is also over 100. They would also hurt the conference's bcs status as much as memphis would, maybe more.

The next BCS review will be based on 2010-2013 success. Memphis has zero. At least Temple has some sort of success. I'd prefer neither myself, personally.
11-03-2011 11:12 AM
memphisribs Offline
Water Engineer

Its not like having Temple in the Big East is going to increase the conference's exposure in philly. The Big East already owns Philly, Nova carries the torch there. Temple only brings about 5,000 fans to games and they are pretty good, and most of their basketball games are only available on internet streaming.

Memphis OWNS the city of Memphis. 20,000 fans cannot be ignored, one of the most solid fan bases in the nation. Adding Memphis to the conference puts Big East games on a memphis regional affiliate, puts coaches shows on the weekly schedule down here, and puts Big East news roundups in the paper. None of this is increased in Philly be adding Temple.

I totally understand why the Big East wants BYU or Army. And if they pick ECU over Memphis then I will disagree but realize why. But even thinking about Temple doesn't make sense. Temple doesn't really add anything of value to the conference.
11-03-2011 11:14 AM
Advertisement

TigerPete Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(11-03-2011 11:12 AM)ncbeta Wrote:  Pretty sure there are more vols fans in memphis than memphis fans

This is 100% false.
11-03-2011 11:14 AM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies
(11-03-2011 11:12 AM)ncbeta Wrote:  Pretty sure there are more vols fans in memphis than memphis fans

Then you are clueless. Sorry, but we are top billing around here.
11-03-2011 11:17 AM
memphisribs Offline
Water Engineer

Memphis OWN the city. Look at the basketball attendance.

Why did this thread get moved? It is about big east expansion.
11-03-2011 11:23 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
(11-03-2011 10:57 AM)memphisribs Wrote:  I'm tired of people talking up Temple football as though it is some program that will help the Big East. Temple football has a 5 year sagarin rating of 100+, and is currently 5-4 in a poor MAC conference. They don't have any fans (18k fans against UConn last year), and they don't have any tv appeal (most of their games are on internet streaming.

I know memphis football is bad this year, but we have been to 5 bowls the past 10 yrs. Temple has been to ONE bowl the past 30 years, and there were 25k fans there (against powerhouse UCLA).

Irrelevant to the expansion question. The review period is 2010-2013. Memphis is 173 for 2010 and Temple was 66. Currently Temple is 53 and Memphis is 176. Temple would be a drag on the conference, Memphis is a boat anchor.

Quote:Temple basketball is okay, but Memphis basketball is better. Temple basketball averages 5,000 fans per game, and they have only 1 tournament win in the past decade. Memphis basketball averages almost 20k per game and we do make deep toruney runs. Memphis has several Final 4's in the past 30 yrs, Temple has none.

According to the NCAA you have no recent final 4's .All your victories were vacated for using an ineligible player. When you factor that into the equation there isn't much of a advantage. You do draw better, but if you look at the fact that Philadelphia has 5 Div I BB programs and Memphis has 1 it really isn't surprising.Temple also competes with a professional hockey team for fans, Memphis does not. Both cities have a pro BB team.

Quote:And just as important, Memphis OWNs our market. We dominate a fairly large city. Temple is a secondary team in a city that the Big East already owns (Villanova averages twice as many fans as Temple and is on television all the time while Temple has no espn games this year and only a few espn2 games).

If either school were in the Big East their TV exposure would increase. Temple more so because they have a built in rivalry with Villanova.

Quote:I know that the Big East wants BYU and Army as their first choices. And if those two turn them down then it will be between ECU, Memphis and Temple. If the Big East is looking for football, then obviously ECU is the choice. But if the Big East is looking for best all around sports, including basketball, and market presence, it is clearly Memphis. And I really don't even know how Temple is in the picture at all besides them publicly lobbying for admission, they hurt football and don't add enough on the basketball side.

Anyway, I hope we get invited as the new Big East is shaping up to be a pretty cool conference.

Memphis is hardly the clear cut winner here. Temple sits in the geographic center of the eastern part of the conference and a FB team in the 4th largest media market in the country is probably worth more than all of the Memphis market to advertisers. If you look at it as a whole, Memphis is far worse in FB and only slightly better in BB. Not looking to flame but your perspective is highly tainted with Memphis bias. I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, so I can be more objective. This post was moved because it was a flame against Temple. Whether you meant it to be or not, your passion for Memphis translated into an attack on Temple.
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2011 07:06 AM by Shannon Panther.)
11-04-2011 07:05 AM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
I guess 5 ESPN/ESPN2 games this year qualifies as 'very few'.
11-06-2011 12:19 AM
Advertisement

utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(11-03-2011 10:57 AM)memphisribs Wrote:  I'm tired of people talking up Temple football as though it is some program that will help the Big East. Temple football has a 5 year sagarin rating of 100+, and is currently 5-4 in a poor MAC conference. They don't have any fans (18k fans against UConn last year), and they don't have any tv appeal (most of their games are on internet streaming.

Temple basketball is okay, but Memphis basketball is better. Temple basketball averages 5,000 fans per game, and they have only 1 tournament win in the past decade. Memphis basketball averages almost 20k per game and we do make deep toruney runs. Memphis has several Final 4's in the past 30 yrs, Temple has none.

And just as important, Memphis OWNs our market. We dominate a fairly large city. Temple is a secondary team in a city that the Big East already owns (Villanova averages twice as many fans as Temple and is on television all the time while Temple has no espn games this year and only a few espn2 games).

I know that the Big East wants BYU and Army as their first choices. And if those two turn them down then it will be between ECU, Memphis and Temple. If the Big East is looking for football, then obviously ECU is the choice. But if the Big East is looking for best all around sports, including basketball, and market presence, it is clearly Memphis. And I really don't even know how Temple is in the picture at all besides them publicly lobbying for admission, they hurt football and don't add enough on the basketball side.

If you're gonna talk about the MAC, say it right. Its not the MAC Conference. Just say the MAC. Clueless.
11-06-2011 04:25 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
Temple is a fine team. The only thing I agree with is that they get way too much attention on these boards despite being not being the MAC's best team (and possibly never beating a MAC team with a winning record Ball State pending).
11-07-2011 12:19 AM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
I thought Temple was on the verge of skipping the Big East and heading straight to the ACC!

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2011 08:30 PM by AtlanticLeague.)
11-07-2011 02:21 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
We just cant get enough of beating Maryland in football and basketball.
11-07-2011 03:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.