I Root For: Louisville

Will the BE split by 2010?
05-08-2005 04:25 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

UABGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:

I won't taint your poll with a C-USA fan vote, but if the BE retains the BCS in 2008, I wonder if that would have an impact on a split decision. Also, if the basketball side is successful getting 8 or 9 teams in the tourney every year would that have an impact? I guess my real question is, if it works do you screw with it?

Is it possible the BE doesn't split but all the D1A's are later aligned in one division and play few if any crossover games? I've read before about the possibility of superconferences having 2 totally different basketball tourneys a weekend early in different locations and having the winners of those 2 tourneys play for the championship on selection Sunday.
05-08-2005 05:49 PM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

It would take something off the chart disasterous for the Big East not to keep their BCS bid in 2008 so the Big East is working under the assumption the Big East's BCS bid is secure. Having two preseason Top 20 teams this year helps the conference a ton, especially when they will be playing each other this year (hopefully with one being a Top 10 team and the other being a Top 15 or 20, or, even better, both being Top 10 or 12 squads). But the current configuration isn't working. The football schools have no room to operate or run their conference. The ideal situation would be to split the Big East into two conference, the b-ball only schools and the football schools. Have cross over games and tournaments and work as separate conferences but under one umbrella. That way the Big East football schools can add their teams, the b-ball schools can pick up a few more teams to get to 8 or 9 (Xavier and Dayton), and everybody is happy and Tranghese can stay employed!
05-08-2005 05:59 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators

Quote:Cat's_Claw Posted on May 8 2005, 06:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It would take something off the chart disasterous for the Big East not to keep their BCS bid in 2008 so the Big East is working under the assumption the Big East's BCS bid is secure. Having two preseason Top 20 teams this year helps the conference a ton, especially when they will be playing each other this year (hopefully with one being a Top 10 team and the other being a Top 15 or 20, or, even better, both being Top 10 or 12 squads). But the current configuration isn't working. The football schools have no room to operate or run their conference. The ideal situation would be to split the Big East into two conference, the b-ball only schools and the football schools. Have cross over games and tournaments and work as separate conferences but under one umbrella. That way the Big East football schools can add their teams, the b-ball schools can pick up a few more teams to get to 8 or 9 (Xavier and Dayton), and everybody is happy and Tranghese can stay employed! 

I believe this is where the federation might be heading - a Big East Gold and a Big East Platinum (yes, I know the names suck but I'm going more for the concept here than the marketing of conference names) both under an ECAC type Big East Alliance. Two separate conferences for the major sports - football, men's bb, women's bb - but a combined Alliance for the lesser ones where divisions are done more along the lines of geography to save on travel.

Each will probably add one more team, Memphis and Xavier being the leading candidates. Except for football, the two conferences could bundle their TV contracts together giving both more value, but they keep the NCAA bb fund units separate.

They could have a men's bb Challenge series between the two leagues best 8 programs, setting up double header games at four neutral sites such as MSG, the United Center, the Wachovia Center, and the MCI Center.

This just might work.

Cheers,
Neil
05-08-2005 07:01 PM
thatauburnguy Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Here here!

Take the top 6 teams in both divisions for the BE tourney.
05-08-2005 07:53 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:I believe this is where the federation might be heading - a Big East Gold and a Big East Platinum (yes, I know the names suck but I'm going more for the concept here than the marketing of conference names) both under an ECAC type Big East Alliance. Two separate conferences for the major sports - football, men's bb, women's bb - but a combined Alliance for the lesser ones where divisions are done more along the lines of geography to save on travel.

Each will probably add one more team, Memphis and Xavier being the leading candidates. Except for football, the two conferences could bundle their TV contracts together giving both more value, but they keep the NCAA bb fund units separate.

They could have a men's bb Challenge series between the two leagues best 8 programs, setting up double header games at four neutral sites such as MSG, the United Center, the Wachovia Center, and the MCI Center.

This just might work.

-- That is an interesting idea....but here is the question...what would be the time table for the "alliance" to form.....such a move wouldn't require the us waiting to 2010 because there would be no split involved

-- actually...the more I think about the idea...I kind of like it....the football schools would still be apart of the "BE" so the conference name/BCS issue wouldn't be a problem and yet we could still expand when needed...the only suggestion I would makeis to the arrangment is some kind of academic coaltion between the 18 schools

Jackson
05-08-2005 07:54 PM
Advertisement

Yuleofell Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Best idea I have seen yet, for solving the scheduling problems. 18 teams is an awful lot of clout when it comes to marketing television rights!
05-08-2005 08:18 PM
CardHouse Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL

Didn't the Big East already talk about this Federation idea?

Like I said in another thread, I think it's pre-mature to talk about anything specific right now; we just need to get the new members in, come together for this next season, and see what we got.

But I also think it's irresponsible to say there will be no changes for the next 5-years; after this coming season and every season afterwards, all options need to remain open.

<span style='color:red'>The University of Louisville, 2005 BCS National Champions</span>

"Whether you think you can do a thing, or can't do a thing, you are right". - Henry Ford

<span style='color:red'>Louisville fans, THINK BIG.</span> :)
05-08-2005 08:37 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Quote:thatauburnguy Posted on May 8 2005, 07:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here here!

Take the top 6 teams in both divisions for the BE tourney

Actually, if this concept were adopted, there would be two separate conference championships, since each side would receive their own automatic NCAA qualifier and their own NCAA bb units.

I assume the two conference championships would run concurrently (or at worse one day apart) against each other at two different sites.

Cheers,
Neil
05-09-2005 12:38 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Quote:CardHouse Posted on May 8 2005, 08:43 PM
Didn't the Big East already talk about this Federation idea?

Yes, this is building on Gavitt's idea.

Quote:Like I said in another thread, I think it's pre-mature to talk about anything specific right now; we just need to get the new members in, come together for this next season, and see what we got.

But I also think it's irresponsible to say there will be no changes for the next 5-years; after this coming season and every season afterwards, all options need to remain open.

It's all fan speculation. And with both major sports over for now, this is the season to be speculating. It happens every year around this time. 03-wink

Come August our focus will be back on the sports themselves.

Cheers,
Neil
05-09-2005 12:42 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

Quote:Jackson1011 Posted on May 8 2005, 08:00 PM
-- That is an interesting idea....but here is the question...what would be the time table for the "alliance" to form.....such a move wouldn't require the us waiting to 2010 because there would be no split involved

Well, technically, a split would indeed have to occur and since under this concept both have new names, I believe they would have to petition the NCAA for an automatic qualifying bid, but perhaps even with a new name the non-1As wouldn't need to do that.

Quote:-- actually...the more I think about the idea...I kind of like it....the football schools would still be apart of the "BE" so the conference name/BCS issue wouldn't be a problem and yet we could still expand when needed...the only suggestion I would makeis to the arrangment is some kind of academic coaltion between the 18 schools

Again, the conference names of BE Gold, BE Platinum was just thrown out there, I doubt either would work. And since there is no natural geographic split to do something like BE North, BE South I'm not sure either new conference name will have Big East as part of it. But at the very least, they would be under the Big East Alliance umbrella.

Cheers,
Neil
05-09-2005 12:50 AM
Advertisement

TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Everyone cheer and pass the crack pipe, lets all follow Alice into wonderland. Geeeeeeez
05-09-2005 08:19 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

TopCoog Wrote:Everyone cheer and pass the crack pipe, lets all follow Alice into wonderland. Geeeeeeez
Oh, aint this nice. A Houston/Rice fan commenting on Big East business on a Big East board.

I guess he likes to hang out with the BCS guys.
05-09-2005 08:25 AM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

yeah, thats it maize. I like to be around you because you know who is going to win all the games before they are played.
05-09-2005 08:47 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

TopCoog Wrote:yeah, thats it maize. I like to be around you because you know who is going to win all the games before they are played.
I just enjoy that you like to hang around us Big East folks. Maybe one day we will play Rice/Houston/SF Austin.
05-09-2005 09:45 AM
EnterSandman Offline
Master Of Your Domain

I Root For: The Ville

Maize Wrote:Maybe one day we will play Rice/Houston/SF Austin.
03-puke[Image: icon35.gif][Image: icon31.gif]
05-09-2005 09:52 AM
Advertisement

TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

there would be much more interest here in stephen f Austin than UCONN or Rutgers and they might be tougher teams but thanks anyway for the offer maize.
05-09-2005 09:56 AM
EnterSandman Offline
Master Of Your Domain

I Root For: The Ville

TopCoog Wrote:there would be much more interest here in stephen f Austin than UCONN or Rutgers and they might be tougher teams but thanks anyway for the offer maize.
Just like there would be more interest in Pitt, WVU and Syracuse in the Ville than Houston, Rice and SMU.
05-09-2005 10:12 AM
TopCoog Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

That is correct Sandman, thats why all of this realignment is not a bad thing. I think everyone is better off in many ways then we were before. I will miss playing Louisville in basketball. If Penders is able to bring us back to a respectable level playing UL in the Pitino era at least gives a team a chance to see where they are.
05-09-2005 10:20 AM
Socko Wiethe Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I tend to agree that a 9th team on the football side will self-select over the next 3-4 years. Memphis was a non-winning program for many years prior to this recent upsurge of the past couple of seasons. If they don't lapse (which would be a very bad sign against the watered-down C-USA), they would be a logical pick, as access to the Liberty Bowl would probably outweigh geographic concerns. That's also presuming their basketball program doesn't blow up in scandal (that's not a prediction -- just a caveat given how rocky the road has been of late under Calipari).

On the non-football side, people mention Xavier but I would think that UC would quietly push for Dayton as an alternative choice. It expands the conference into another decent sized market, and those people up there are absolutely great basketball fans. They've got tradition at least equal to Xavier as well.
05-09-2005 11:59 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.