Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
BCS Changes
BullsFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF

<a href='http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2048224&num=1' target='_blank'>Auto bids are open to everyone</a>

Quotes of interest:
"The Bowl Championship Series is opening up its automatic bids to all Division I-A conferences, starting with the 2007 season, and under a new plan the leagues will now be judged from top to bottom."

". . .there is a proposed appeals process if a conference doesn't match up with the others under the new formula but still believes it belongs in the BCS."

"Weiberg said the new evaluation system could lead to more -- or less -- automatic bids."

"The BCS will also take into account the number of teams in a conference that finish in the BCS top 25 over a four-year period." (This is in addition to the average of the BCS teams equaling 12 or higher).

"Beginning in 2006, Notre Dame will earn an automatic BCS berth with a top eight ranking in the final standings, Weiberg said. Also, under a new arrangement, Notre Dame is now guaranteed BCS money every season -- even when they don't play in a game. In the past, Notre Dame would receive upward of $14 million when they played in a BCS game, but nothing if they didn't."
04-27-2005 10:25 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CyberBull Offline
Heisman

It's all good .... for the Big East and the MWC.

The BE is safe through 2008. It gets to count Louisville's top 10 BCS finish. Throw in that the 3 new teams entering the conference bring a combined record of 22-13 and that helps the new top to bottom criteria the BCS is using.

In constrast, C-USA is the biggest loser.

They lose UL's top 10 performance and inherit 6 programs that had a combined record of 22-45.

The MWC is probably the biggest winner b/c they now have legitimate access if they take care of business. The BE was never in danger of losing their automatic bid b/c of the markets it represents and the traditional programs it has like Pitt, WVU and Syracuse.

The Left-Behinds in C-DOA are now screwed b/c of all the bad programs they have recently admitted.
04-27-2005 10:56 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

CyberBull Wrote:It's all good .... for the Big East and the MWC.

The BE is safe through 2008. It gets to count Louisville's top 10 BCS finish. Throw in that the 3 new teams entering the conference bring a combined record of 22-13 and that helps the new top to bottom criteria the BCS is using.

They lose UL's top 10 performance and inherit 6 programs that had a combined record of 22-45.

The MWC is probably the biggest winner b/c they now have legitimate access if they take care of business. The BE was never in danger of losing their automatic bid b/c of the markets it represents and the traditional programs it has like Pitt, WVU and Syracuse.

The Left-Behinds in C-DOA are now screwed b/c of all the bad programs they have recently admitted.
This coming from a team that won 0 CUSA titles, made 0 bowl games, 0 top 25 appearances, and the biggest win being beating a lame Pitt team.

Yea, USF has alot of room to talk about ANY conference. :rolleyes:
04-27-2005 11:07 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

What the matter "O'Liar is God"? Can't dispute the facts so you are trying to change the subject?

C-DOA over-expanded and added a ton of dead weight which will hurt your top-to-bottom ranking. 22-45...OUCH!!!

Perhaps if your team won a game in the last 18 months you wouldn't have to come to a Big East board with your lame and tired smack.

I have never seen a more delusional online fanbase. UCF fans are the scourge of the internet. Maybe Rice or Tulsa will be UCF's "slump-buster" and get these guys calmed down a little bit.

Oh btw...since you brought up our biggest victory, I'll take beating am eventual 8-4 Pitt team that beat a Phillip rivers led NC State ACC team over beating a 3-8 Alabama team that was so embarrassed that it lost to UCF that they immediately fired their coach.
04-27-2005 11:37 PM
UCF_Cardinals Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

For the most part, we agree.

With this arrangement, CUSA totally shot themselves in the foot by expanding to 12 teams. Sadly ironic, considering that conference championship is comparatively worth pennies on the dollar.

It kind of seems like you're putting all your BEast eggs in this "Market" basket though. Certainly with all else being equal, say for a bid between MWC/BEast, the Big East's market would sway it to our favor. Other than, I wouldn't count your eggs until their hatched. This seriously opened the door for the MWC.

It's possible the MWC could come out ahead. And if it does happen consistently (and this is not a flame), it seems the biggest individual loser in this whole conference shuffle could be USF, with ya'll being on an island and having to front ridiculous travel expenses for like women's volleyball, tennis, etc.

Hopefully that's not how it plays out, but the door's been opened...
04-28-2005 02:00 AM
Advertisement

Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

UCF_Cardinals Wrote:

The BE is safe through 2008. It gets to count Louisville's top 10 BCS finish. Throw in that the 3 new teams entering the conference bring a&nbsp; combined record of 22-13 and that helps the new top to bottom criteria the BCS is using.

They lose UL's top 10 performance and inherit 6 programs that had a combined record of&nbsp; 22-45.

The MWC is probably the biggest winner b/c they now have legitimate access if they take care of business.&nbsp; The BE was never in danger of losing their automatic bid b/c of the markets it represents and the traditional programs it has like Pitt, WVU and Syracuse.

With this arrangement, CUSA totally shot themselves in the foot by expanding to 12 teams. Sadly ironic, considering that conference championship is comparatively worth pennies on the dollar.

It kind of seems like you're putting all your BEast eggs in this "Market" basket though. Certainly with all else being equal, say for a bid between MWC/BEast, the Big East's market would sway it to our favor. Other than, I wouldn't count your eggs until their hatched. This seriously opened the door for the MWC.

It's possible the MWC could come out ahead. And if it does happen consistently (and this is not a flame), it seems the biggest individual loser in this whole conference shuffle could be USF, with ya'll being on an island and having to front ridiculous travel expenses for like women's volleyball, tennis, etc.

As a whole right now the MWC is behind the Big East even at our lowest point. The number bare it out, now if they add a Boise State and Fresno they are pretty equal with the Big East. JMO what will happen is the MWC will become the 7th AQ conference in the next few years.
04-28-2005 05:39 AM
UCF_Cardinals Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

That might be a bit Biased, Maize.

"You pick out any measurement, any criteria, we've have probably finished fifth, sixth or seventh in our six-year existence," Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson said. "Whether that's attendance, strength of schedule, bowl appearances, national TV appearances. We're right in the hunt."

Since 2000, as far as top 25 appearances go: N-MWC has 90, N-BE has 77, and N-CUSA has 29.

Here's a very interesting post from a TCU fan:

<a href='http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/confusa/invision/index.php?act=ST&f=27&t=24614' target='_blank'>http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/confusa/invi...ST&f=27&t=24614</a>
04-28-2005 10:43 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First

I am talking about on field performance outside of Utah last year. IMO the MWC is a BIG winner in this, the Big East comes out second and we can all agree the conference that took the biggest hit was C-USA. Why they went to 12 I will NEVER know.

Also UCFUofL it doesn't matter what happen in 2000 or 1970 or whatever, it all started in 2004. What we do starting in 2004 is all the matter right now.
04-28-2005 10:53 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

CyberBull Wrote:What the matter "O'Liar is God"? Can't dispute the facts so you are trying to change the subject?

C-DOA over-expanded and added a ton of dead weight which will hurt your top-to-bottom ranking. 22-45...OUCH!!!

Perhaps if your team won a game in the last 18 months you wouldn't have to come to a Big East board with your lame and tired smack.

I have never seen a more delusional online fanbase. UCF fans are the scourge of the internet. Maybe Rice or Tulsa will be UCF's "slump-buster" and get these guys calmed down a little bit.

Oh btw...since you brought up our biggest victory, I'll take beating am eventual 8-4 Pitt team that beat a Phillip rivers led NC State ACC team over beating a 3-8 Alabama team that was so embarrassed that it lost to UCF that they immediately fired their coach.
Delusional? This coming from a fan of a school that has predicted a national title soon, a school that over reports attendance by 15,000 every game, and a school that has reportedly lied repeatedly about their academic standards.

Right. :rolleyes:
04-28-2005 11:51 AM
Advertisement

UCF_Cardinals Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Yeah, I know most those figures don't count.

Just showing that the MWC has their fair share of comparable teams. Nevermind that since 2000 they've had 5 ranked teams vs our 4 ranked, two of their perennial bottom feeders have stepped it up and notched big wins this past year. New Mexico beat a strong Texas Tech team; Wyoming knocked off both Ole Miss and UCLA. In what was a horrible year for BYU, they still managed to be a mediocre Notre Dame. If recent history is any indication of what's to come, then a 2007 is going to be a rat race.

FWIW, in the long run I do think we have much more potential, but I also believe teams like USF can't just step it up overnight. It's gonna take a few years.
04-28-2005 11:53 AM
Cat's_Claw Offline
All American

I Root For:

UCF_Cardinals Wrote:Yeah, I know most those figures don't count.

Just showing that the MWC has their fair share of comparable teams. Nevermind that since 2000 they've had 5 ranked teams vs our 4 ranked, two of their perennial bottom feeders have stepped it up and notched big wins this past year. New Mexico beat a strong Texas Tech team; Wyoming knocked off both Ole Miss and UCLA. In what was a horrible year for BYU, they still managed to be a mediocre Notre Dame. If recent history is any indication of what's to come, then a 2007 is going to be a rat race.

FWIW, in the long run I do think we have much more potential, but I also believe teams like USF can't just step it up overnight. It's gonna take a few years.
The Mountain West had 6 of their 9 teams finish with losing records last year.
04-28-2005 05:43 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

UCF_Cardinals Wrote:

The BE is safe through 2008. It gets to count Louisville's top 10 BCS finish. Throw in that the 3 new teams entering the conference bring a&nbsp; combined record of 22-13 and that helps the new top to bottom criteria the BCS is using.

They lose UL's top 10 performance and inherit 6 programs that had a combined record of&nbsp; 22-45.

The MWC is probably the biggest winner b/c they now have legitimate access if they take care of business.&nbsp; The BE was never in danger of losing their automatic bid b/c of the markets it represents and the traditional programs it has like Pitt, WVU and Syracuse.

Unlike UCF, USF had to board a plane for every C-USA away game. If anything our travel costs are going to decrease b/c of easier access to Big east markets as compared to C-USA.

Travelling is a non-issue.
04-28-2005 07:56 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I think you have the wrong Florida directional school. It was your coaches who said UCF was too good to join the MAC yet you did. It was your coaches who publicly smacked C-USA in the late 1990s yet here you are joining C-DOA. It was your AD that said was the next Miami, yet you haven't won a game in two years. It was you current coach who told recruits that UCF was joining the SEC. Then again your coach is good at lying. It was your coach who almost beat one his players to death and then laughed about it. Then again, based O'Liar's problems with the NCAA your coach is good at not playing by the rules.

BTW....what are you doing on a Big East board. Still waiting for the big east to give you football only?
04-28-2005 08:01 PM
Advertisement

DW4uconn Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

The fact that the BCS will now be looking at the conference from top to bottom pretty much sounds to me like they have lowered the boom on any possible Bigeast expansion. What team is out there that would pull the conference dow? Atleast for the short term ....

DW
04-28-2005 08:50 PM
UCF_Cardinals Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

CyberBull Wrote:I think you have the wrong Florida directional school. It was your coaches who said UCF was too good to join the MAC yet you did. It was your coaches who publicly smacked C-USA in the late 1990s yet here you are joining C-DOA. It was your AD that said was the next Miami, yet you haven't won a game in two years. It was you current coach who told recruits that UCF was joining the SEC. Then again your coach is good at lying. It was your coach who almost beat one his players to death and then laughed about it. Then again, based O'Liar's problems with the NCAA your coach is good at not playing by the rules.

BTW....what are you doing on a Big East board. Still waiting for the big east to give you football only?
I live in and attend Louisville.

The real question is why SWCF commmunity college sits on an old bombing range? Seems they missed a few buildings.

You want to smack about UCF, go to the CUSA -- or usfbullspen -- boards.
04-29-2005 03:15 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators

Quote:The fact that the BCS will now be looking at the conference from top to bottom pretty much sounds to me like they have lowered the boom on any possible Bigeast expansion. What team is out there that would pull the conference dow? Atleast for the short term ....

DW

I assume you meant what team is out there that won't pull the conference down?

Since 2004 is the baseline year, Memphis' #34 and Bowling Green's #38 wouldn't hurt.

Actually, looking at the prior 4 year trend, I was surprised to see that Bowling Green (I thought for sure it would be Marshall or So. Miss) has the best average BCS ranking (41) of all the East of the Mississippi football teams not in an auto-bid BCS league right now while two names that keep getting mentioned over and over ECU and UCF have two of the worst 4-year averages.

Cheers,
Neil
04-29-2005 11:32 AM
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

I'm failing to see how the MWC came out smelling like a rose in this discussion. Markets? San Diego perhaps? Utah? Wyoming? CSU? I don't know. Attendance? I think maybe BYU and Utah have decent numbers. As catsclaw noted the football product sucked last season aside from utah. Watch them this year.
04-29-2005 11:39 AM
usffan Offline
Heisman

UCF_Cardinals Wrote:You want to smack about UCF, go to the CUSA -- or usfbullspen -- boards.
You might want to take a gander at the top of this thread. It was a UCF fan that started talking crap...

USFFan
04-29-2005 02:12 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.