Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question for the UTEP fans in the house
Bookmark and Share
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Question for the UTEP fans in the house
It appears GT is going to the Sun Bowl ( http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/s...42070.html ) and I think I'll go. Got any recommendations for places to eat / drink / etc? And just how much should I think about taking my Glock with me being walking distance from Ciudad Juarez?
11-27-2011 08:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AJKetchup Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UTEP
RE: Question for the UTEP fans in the house
There is no need to bring any weapon to El Paso. If you plan on going to Juarez, then yeah go for it. If you plan on renting a car (highly recommend), you can stay whereever you want. Our downtown sucks and most non-El Pasoans won't find it worthwhile. There are a lot of new hotels in the city. Eat at L&Js, Great American, Rib Hut, Grizzlys Burgers, Fortis, and The Patio. Stay away from downtown and you will find that El Paso is a nice city.
11-27-2011 08:07 PM
Art Vandelay Offline
2nd String

I still go to Juarez now and then (blown out of proportion by media) but I wouldn't recommend it for you, or someone unfamiliar with the area to go. So just stay away from Mexico altogether even if someone from El Paso offers to be your guide.

As for things to do, and places to eat....there is a link somewhere on Kyyotesden.com or Minerdigs, but I'll post it soon so you can see everyone's suggestions.

Mine are:

Best Place to eat: Cattleman's Steakhouse

Best Local Flavor (Fast food): Chico's Tacos

Best Mexican: This one is tough, but I would say Carlos and Mickey's.
11-27-2011 08:13 PM

I think I've heard of Cattleman's before ... maybe Man v Food?

Any recommendations on the bar front? Preferably somewhere with a good liquor/mixer selection. I'm a straight liquor kinda guy.
11-27-2011 08:19 PM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

I Root For: UTEP Miners
If you can survive the violence in Georgia then El Paso will be a romper room by comparison.
11-27-2011 08:25 PM
Art Vandelay Offline
2nd String

(11-27-2011 08:19 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  I think I've heard of Cattleman's before ... maybe Man v Food?

Any recommendations on the bar front? Preferably somewhere with a good liquor/mixer selection. I'm a straight liquor kinda guy.

If you stay at the Hilton Garden Inn on University and Oregon, you will be within walking distance of the Sun Bowl, and the Cincinnati Entertainment District (UTEP's version of UT's 6th St, on a smaller scale of course). Downtown by Union Plaza you will also find another Club/Bar district. Cincinnati is next to UTEP, and El Paso's Downtown is about 5 minutes away driving.
11-27-2011 08:27 PM
Advertisement

mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

The best nightclubs are currently downtown. Stay at the double tree or camino real. Short trip to The Sun Bowl from there.
11-27-2011 08:28 PM
Art Vandelay Offline
2nd String

(11-27-2011 08:28 PM)mistabinks Wrote:  The best nightclubs are currently downtown. Stay at the double tree or camino real. Short trip to The Sun Bowl from there.

The Camino Real Hotel is overrated, stay at the Double Tree or Hilton Garden Inn.
11-27-2011 08:29 PM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

Camino for the Dome bar and history but the hotel has its issues. UTEP and the Sun Bowl no longer endorse it.
11-27-2011 08:31 PM

Well, consider this your last chance as a UTEP fan to get a NCAAbbs Everywhere Tag of your football/basketball/baseball facilities before they are forever cataloged with a Georgia Tech fan instead.

Don't know what a NCAAbbs Everywhere Tag is? http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=315460

Tags we already have: http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=400246
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2011 08:49 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
11-27-2011 08:48 PM
shyminer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP MINERS
Stay at Hilton Garden Inn, next to the campus. It will make the trip easier for you. There are plenty of great places to eat and not just Mexican food. But, you have to taste the fantastic Mexican food all around the city. The weather should be great, but last year it was snowing 03-razz. You can come to El Paso and do alot of out door stuff like hiking. Hueco Tanks and going up the Franklin mountains are pretty nice. As far as Juarez, you have nothing to worry about if you stay in El Paso. Also if you brought a gun to Juarez you would be sent to prison... pretty much don't do it! haha

Kiki's is a nice place to eat, but I also love Rosa's Cantina, it just brings out El Paso... If you're a fan of Marty Robbins you'll enjoy it, plus the food is cheap and they have decent beer specials.
11-27-2011 08:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

(11-27-2011 08:48 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Well, consider this your last chance as a UTEP fan to get a NCAAbbs Everywhere Tag of your football/basketball/baseball facilities before they are forever cataloged with a Georgia Tech fan instead.

Don't know what a NCAAbbs Everywhere Tag is? http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=315460

Damn! BlazerTalk has already beaten me to it!

Well Las Cruces is just over a half hour drive. I may get NMSU while I'm down there.
11-27-2011 08:53 PM
shyminer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP MINERS
If you go to Las Cruces, then Old Mesilla is the place to see. If you can take the back roads through the pecan tree's it's a nice drive.
11-27-2011 08:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Art Vandelay Offline
2nd String

(11-27-2011 08:53 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 08:48 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Well, consider this your last chance as a UTEP fan to get a NCAAbbs Everywhere Tag of your football/basketball/baseball facilities before they are forever cataloged with a Georgia Tech fan instead.

Damn! BlazerTalk has already beaten me to it!

Well Las Cruces is just over a half hour drive. I may get NMSU while I'm down there.

He needs a better shot of Memorial Gym, The Don, and he's missing the Foster/Stevens Basketball Practice Facility.
11-27-2011 08:58 PM

(11-27-2011 08:58 PM)Art Vandelay Wrote:  and he's missing the Foster/Stevens Basketball Practice Facility.

You only get credit for the facilities the games are played in.
11-27-2011 09:04 PM
Art Vandelay Offline
2nd String

(11-27-2011 09:04 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 08:58 PM)Art Vandelay Wrote:  and he's missing the Foster/Stevens Basketball Practice Facility.

You only get credit for the facilities the games are played in.

I see. Thanks for the info.
11-27-2011 09:23 PM
Advertisement

randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners
contrary to what was said earlier about downtown, it is actually pretty good. The night clubs are actually nice restaurants during the day, I would suggest the camino real hotel, located inside the camino is the dome bar. Very nice bar, that has a large selection of top shelf and middle shelf liquor. Double tree downtown is also very nice, with a nice bar also. As mentioned before, the hilton is on campus with in walking distance of the sunbowl and cincy entertainment district.

I would recommend cattlemans, there is also a new steak house located on the westside called Corralitos, it is pretty good and it is a mexican style steak house (I would still recommend cattlemens though).

You can't go wrong with mexican food in el paso. Located at the corner of sunbowl drive and mesa is the Carruzel, I've ate there a couple times and it was real good.
11-27-2011 09:39 PM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

When in a rush, you could also hit the West Coast type fast food joints that are hard to come by in the East (Carl's Jrs, etc.).

I have work colleagues from the East Coast visit often, and they always tell me they could stay here for a full 2 weeks to do nothing but eat, play a little golf on a warm day, or take a day to go snow-skiing in Ruidoso NM (about 1.5 hours away).

There are a couple of vineyards in Southern New Mexico.

But above all, please wash your hands if you shake hands with NMSU Aggies. Have fun.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2011 10:10 PM by RUNVSFD MINER.)
11-27-2011 09:49 PM
randaddyminer Offline
Banned

I Root For: UTEP miners
If you're going to be in town for new years you may want to try the lancers club on the westside in the coronado tower, they have a buffet till about 9pm and it has a nice view of the westside of el paso.
11-27-2011 10:03 PM
AJKetchup Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-27-2011 09:49 PM)RUNVSFD MINER Wrote:  When in a rush, you could also hit the West Coast type fast food joints that are hard to come by in the East (Carl's Jrs, etc.).

I have work colleagues from the East Coast visit often, and they always tell me they could stay here for a full 2 weeks to do nothing but eat, play a little golf on a warm day, or take a day to go snow-skiing in Ruidoso NM (about 1.5 hours away).

There are a couple of vineyards in Southern New Mexico.

But above all, please wash your hands if you shake hands with NMSU Aggies. Have fun.

They do have Carls Jr in the east. Its called Hardee's. Same menu and everything. El Paso used to have Hardees a long time ago. The McDonalds on Vista De Sol and George Dieter used to be a Hardees.
11-27-2011 10:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.