Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

That 90s Thread
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
That 90s Thread
Reminiscing about the 90s? Me too.

While listening to a Gin Blossoms album (New Miserable Experience) this morning, I got the idea to start a thread about the period. I've never seen this done on a forum before so I thought it would be cool, particularly if there are a number of people who also get that nostalgic feeling for the decade.

If you've got something that reminds you of the 90s, post it. Music, favorite movies, drunken memories, whatever.
11-30-2011 08:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

RE: That 90s Thread
One of the great parts about the 90s to me was the music. I'm a huge fan of 90s rock. It really was a period that produced a sound that I think is pretty distinctive. Something about the interrelation of pop and rock came together to make some great tunes.

Here are some of my favorites today:

If you're into grungy stuff, check this out (although you've probably already heard Dino Jr) - Disclaimer - don't watch the video if you're prone to seizures! Do not listen if you can't handle awesome or need 3 minutes of peace/quiet. Carry on.

11-30-2011 08:14 AM
HoustonCougarNation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cougars, Frogs

11-30-2011 01:44 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Jesus, guys. The 90s sucked for music. 3 posts in and this thread has already proved it.
11-30-2011 02:11 PM
Lethemeul Offline
Fancy Pants

I Root For: Pirates!

NCAAbbs LUGDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs
(11-30-2011 02:11 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  Jesus, guys. The 90s sucked for music. 3 posts in and this thread has already proved it.

This. Rock sucked so bad in the '90's that I resorted to listening to country.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2011 04:44 PM by Lethemeul.)
11-30-2011 04:44 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators

11-30-2011 06:02 PM
Advertisement

ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(11-30-2011 04:44 PM)Lethemeul Wrote:  
(11-30-2011 02:11 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  Jesus, guys. The 90s sucked for music. 3 posts in and this thread has already proved it.

Rock hasn't had many good songs since the 70's. Some Springsteen stuff was good in the 80's... Stuff like Billy Idol drove me freaking bananas.
11-30-2011 06:03 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators

11-30-2011 06:08 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(11-30-2011 06:03 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  
(11-30-2011 04:44 PM)Lethemeul Wrote:  

Rock hasn't had many good songs since the 70's. Some Springsteen stuff was good in the 80's... Stuff like Billy Idol drove me freaking bananas.

Yes to 70's rock. I'll take some Boston please!

By the way, if you are into classic rock, this group is pretty darn good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Classic_Rockers

Saw them a couple of years ago and it was awesome.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2011 06:57 PM by GrayBeard.)
11-30-2011 06:52 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
The 90s saw

The decline of Rap as a multidimensional art form.

Saw Nirvana/Seattle "sound" aka Grunge aka ..... crush all prior metal formats.
--Especially "hair metal" but alas, even those guys had some merits.

Saw Axl Rose kill of the best rock bands ever in Guns N Roses.

Saw the emergence of techno metal ala Nine Inch Nails and Ministry.

Saw the rise of the Gangster Rap takeover.

Saw the rise of what could make metal + rap great.

Saw the rise of Vanilla Ice... the wackest rapper of all time and thus killing regular rap on one hand and also killing the credibility of any white rapper since.
11-30-2011 08:38 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
90's ehh? in the early days of that decade, my brother and i picked our grunge bands. mine were soundgarden and alice in chains. his were pearl jam and nirvana. he had the snoop and dre cassette tapes. i had snow and spin doctors. around middle school i was really into bush and everclear and the aforementioned gin blossoms and soul asylum. oh and i friggin' loved sublime. in high school i really got into hip hop. master p was my guy. our entire school of privileged entirely white country folk really got hooked on this alternate reality. from the years of 1997-1999 i bought every no limit records release (they came out every freaking week). towards the end of the decade i adopted the wu tang clan, mobb deep, and nas as my aural fix. i really like blind melon, but i didn't get into them until after shannon hoon passed. ooh! and i loved the 4 non blondes and the presidents of the usa!

edit: forgot about 'pac. love pac
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2011 04:06 PM by Lush.)
12-01-2011 04:05 PM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(12-01-2011 04:05 PM)Lush Wrote:  90's ehh? in the early days of that decade, my brother and i picked our grunge bands. mine were soundgarden and alice in chains. his were pearl jam and nirvana. he had the snoop and dre cassette tapes. i had snow and spin doctors. around middle school i was really into bush and everclear and the aforementioned gin blossoms and soul asylum. oh and i friggin' loved sublime. in high school i really got into hip hop. master p was my guy. our entire school of privileged entirely white country folk really got hooked on this alternate reality. from the years of 1997-1999 i bought every no limit records release (they came out every freaking week). towards the end of the decade i adopted the wu tang clan, mobb deep, and nas as my aural fix. i really like blind melon, but i didn't get into them until after shannon hoon passed. ooh! and i loved the 4 non blondes and the presidents of the usa!

edit: forgot about 'pac. love pac

I liked Soundgarden... Superunknown was a great cd. Batmotorfinger was also solid. I liked them when the stuck to rock and didn't like much of their "experimental" / "alternative" sound.

Pearl Jam was ok IMO. I liked 10 a lot. Didn't care much for Vs. I did like Vitology.

I liked Nirvana. IMO their best work though was Unplugged. I love that entire cd to this day. Next I would say Nevermind was my fave. They had a uncanny knack for making raw but harmonic rock songs.

Wu Tang Cland was a great rap group. 36 CHambers I still listen to on the regular. Forever had some decent content but they could have easily tightened up to one cd. Meth's first two solo cds were pretty good. Liquid Swords by the Genius/Gza was one of my T5 Rap Albums of all time. Never cared for most of the other guys solo work though.
12-01-2011 04:38 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
All i have to say is, Oasis. Now go back to your regularly scheduled program
12-04-2011 08:06 PM
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil
in the 90's I was going to Cat's Cradle on Franklin Street to cool bands like Archers of loaf, Superchunk, Man or Astroman, Capsized 7 and after the show would walk to Miami Subs
12-05-2011 09:51 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(12-04-2011 08:06 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  All i have to say is, Oasis. Now go back to your regularly scheduled program

I assume this is a criticism? It's not unreasonable but isn't it a little like saying music of the 80s sucked because of Hall & Oates? I think most of the most popular music at any given time is going to be pretty boring/bland because, by definition, it appeals to the most people.

This thread is pretty much just a music thread but, as far as culture is concerned, I'll remember it as a decade in which film-making changed drastically. Independence Day, one of the top grossers of the 90s, was maybe the first, or at least one of the earlier blockbuster films with a truly crappy screenplay and acting. Its popularity was due to the effects/action, and it started a trend that goes to this day. On the other hand, I think the 90s was the decade that independent film-making became sort of trendy, and, as a result, gained more access to funds to make more of these movies.

But on the music front: A couple of the albums from the 90s that I still listen to occasionally: World Party Goodbye Jumbo and Soul Coughing Ruby Vroom.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2011 03:03 PM by Brookes Owl.)
12-06-2011 03:02 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(12-06-2011 03:02 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(12-04-2011 08:06 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  All i have to say is, Oasis. Now go back to your regularly scheduled program

I assume this is a criticism? It's not unreasonable but isn't it a little like saying music of the 80s sucked because of Hall & Oates?

What??? I love Oasis AND Hall & Oates. Seriously...
12-06-2011 07:13 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

I assume this is a criticism? It's not unreasonable but isn't it a little like saying music of the 80s sucked because of Hall & Oates? I think most of the most popular music at any given time is going to be pretty boring/bland because, by definition, it appeals to the most people.

A criticism? Oasis is one of my favorite bands of all time. They had an amazing three albums and then a couple really good ones after that
12-07-2011 09:11 AM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(12-07-2011 09:11 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

A criticism? Oasis is one of my favorite bands of all time. They had an amazing three albums and then a couple really good ones after that

Oh, well, never mind. :sorry:
12-07-2011 10:23 AM
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I love Oasis. Not quite the obsession I have with the Gin Blossoms but I really like where this thread is headed! I saw Hall and Oates once for my mother's birthday. 01-lauramac2

I figured we could use a little Oasis snippet:

12-08-2011 03:29 PM
HoustonCougarNation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cougars, Frogs

12-09-2011 09:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.